PDA

View Full Version : Simpson Gas Powered Capstan Winch?

264mag
05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Has anyone on HBC bought one? I have been researching gas powered winches and the capstan seems to be the overall best option. The Simpson looks cool. Can anyone shed some
light?

Thanks

Riverratz
06-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I have the model CS-CW model, the one that fits to a chain saw. I figured that as one is carrying a chainsaw anyway, it was a good portable addition to the equipment list. Takes about 3-4 minutes to switch from cutting bar to winch. Good solid unit with a good warranty, everything you need comes with it except the rope. Got mine for tugging the boat if it ever gets really stuck, so far haven't had to use it.
I got 1000' of 'polysteel' rope from a marine retailer, divided into 4 sections of 250' each on separate plastic spools, (spools were free), tie the sections together if you need longer length (study up on your knots or you'll never get them undone).
If you're tugging something out of the bush, or winching your truck/boat, it's pretty much a two man operation, one to man the saw/winch, the other to help at the far end with whatever is being dragged, or in the vehicle.
You have figure out how to 'lock' the throttle open at about 2/3 on the saw; a bit of duct tape on the handle & throttle-trigger works good.
Advantages: portability, lower cost, no electrical hook-ups and related issues, easy to store, minimal maintenance, take it anywhere.
Disadvantage: two man operation in some situations

Geo.338
06-01-2012, 01:42 AM
we bought a gas powered winch several years ago . Mostly for tugging moose but have used it on logs too .It is a capstan and is powered by a honda engine .It is about 30 lbs and has 2500 single line pull . The best part.Made in Canada . it's called a portable winch ,check out their site .

f350ps
06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Has anyone on HBC bought one? I have been researching gas powered winches and the capstan seems to be the overall best option. The Simpson looks cool. Can anyone shed some
light?

Thanks
I've got the Lewis winch and it works excellent for my needs! That said, I've got a friend that has both the Lewis and the Simpson and he said the Lewis never leaves the shed anymore, he loves the Simpson. K