PDA

View Full Version : New to bowhunting !!

Photonuts
05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been hunting for over 12 years and it is time to move up to bowhunting and be a real hunter :-D. Sold couple of my rifles, pick up a nice bow (I think), join the course by boorman archery and hopefully will be ready to hunt in Oct...or April 2013.

Riverbc
05-31-2012, 07:32 AM
welcome to your new addiction! :D

Bow Walker
05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Congratulations. What bow did you get? Specs?

Boorman's lessons are a great way to get into the sport. Good choice.

Ddog
05-31-2012, 09:05 AM
nice opening statement on that post.... ;)
but some may not agree with it....its addictive for sure but also very rewarding when you get your animals, welcome to the wonderful world of archery

greybark
05-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Hey Photonuts , I appreciate your enthusiasm but ALL hunting is real .
Cheers

bochunk2000
05-31-2012, 09:23 AM
welcome to into the world of my personal addiction, as you will surely find there amy just be no going back.

Photonuts
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Congratulations. What bow did you get? Specs?

Boorman's lessons are a great way to get into the sport. Good choice.

I am lucky to get a Mathews Helim in lost camo 70/29, QAD pro hd rest, I am using my friend corba 5 pin sight for now but I have a Trijicon AccuPin on the way. Easton FMJ 300 arrows

Photonuts
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I am sorry if make anyone upset with my opening statement:cry: I meant to say bowhunting will give more excitement on the hunt. ( I think.....!! 100 yards...80...60.. 40 may be 20)

Ambush
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I am lucky to get a Mathews Helim in lost camo 70/29, QAD pro hd rest, I am using my friend corba 5 pin sight for now but I have a Trijicon AccuPin on the way. Easton FMJ 300 arrows

Nice work! Geneticaly programed to be a relentless killer by it's ancesstory.

The two most important things to becoming a successfull bow hunter. # 1. Practice untill your shooting becomes instinct. # 2. Leave your guns at HOME. Not in the truck , at home.

Have fun, your off to a great start.

How long are your arrows and what weight head are you using? 300 spine sounds a bit stiff.

greybark
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Hey Photonuts , Good luck with your archery and bowhunting adventure ....
Cheers

Photonuts
06-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Nice work! Geneticaly programed to be a relentless killer by it's ancesstory.

The two most important things to becoming a successfull bow hunter. # 1. Practice untill your shooting becomes instinct. # 2. Leave your guns at HOME. Not in the truck , at home.

Have fun, your off to a great start.

How long are your arrows and what weight head are you using? 300 spine sounds a bit stiff.

30'1/2" arrow, and 100 gr points

RoscoeP
06-01-2012, 06:37 AM
40 yards is a long shot with a bow at an animal, maybe it was really 50 yards and last thing you want is to wound an animal. Range estimation is critical. Welcome and good luck. Cheers Roscoe

Ambush
06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
30'1/2" arrow, and 100 gr points

Why such a long arrow? The FMJ is a very heavy shaft as it is, which is great for penetration, but trajectory is really going to suffer. Maybe a 340 cut at 28" - 29" with a 125 head would make for a better blend of momentom and flight curve. Better FOC as well.

Bow Walker
06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
For the point weight and the length of shaft that Ambush is suggesting you would need the .400 spine.

For the point weight and arrow length you are now shooting you should drop back to a .340 spine at least.

Your current arrows are a bit stiff and they are too long. Get your buddy to make a mark on the arrow - when you are at full draw - just in front of where the arrow is supported by the arrow rest, usually about 1/2" to 1" in front of the rest. That measurement is the minimum length of arrow you should be shooting.

You will find that going to a different setup for your arrows will improve the flight characteristics and will result in tighter groups.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Why such a long arrow? The FMJ is a very heavy shaft as it is, which is great for penetration, but trajectory is really going to suffer. Maybe a 340 cut at 28" - 29" with a 125 head would make for a better blend of momentom and flight curve. Better FOC as well.

This guy is right .... the FMJ is a heavy arrow ...31" is a real long arrow for a 29" draw ... I would look at 340 spine cut to 29 ish inches ... even with a heavy arrow like that you could go 400 Spine at chop that down to 27ish in lenth ...

I have a 29" draw as well and shoot 400 spine arrows at a hair just over 27" long ... Granted they are relitively light at 360 ish grains ... but an FMJ at those specs should finish out at 420ish grains ...
Last night I was shooting my newest set up at 70 meters at a 40 cm target face and grouping 8 ring or better with both feild pionts and fixed BHs (rocket/Trophy ridge Ultimate steels)

Bow Walker
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Yup. My draw is just over 28" and my arrows are cut to 26 3/8"

Bowzone_Mikey
06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Yup. My draw is just over 28" and my arrows are cut to 26 3/8"
I could actually goa bit shorter ... but I was tuneing the arrow Nodes as well ... so really see if that played a noticable differance in things ...

Bow Walker
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
...........waaaay too much time on your hands............:mrgreen:

Photonuts
06-01-2012, 10:52 PM

the reason I use such a long arrow.... my friends suggested !! :-? BTW how to calculate FOC? Thanks for the info

Photonuts
06-01-2012, 11:01 PM
For the point weight and the length of shaft that Ambush is suggesting you would need the .400 spine.

For the point weight and arrow length you are now shooting you should drop back to a .340 spine at least.

Your current arrows are a bit stiff and they are too long. Get your buddy to make a mark on the arrow - when you are at full draw - just in front of where the arrow is supported by the arrow rest, usually about 1/2" to 1" in front of the rest. That measurement is the minimum length of arrow you should be shooting.

You will find that going to a different setup for your arrows will improve the flight characteristics and will result in tighter groups.

Thanks for the info, I will do that ASAP. How many setup I should try?

Ambush
06-01-2012, 11:18 PM
the reason I use such a long arrow.... my friends suggested !! :-? BTW how to calculate FOC? Thanks for the info

Well, that's a forthright, and honest answer.:-D But you should consider the 340's for your next batch. And cut them about 3/4" past your rest.

I tried the FMJ but found that the head end got damaged too easily from any abuse. They can also bend, so you have to be carefull about checking them. I've gone back to the all-carbon Easton Axis. Slim shaft for good wind bucking and better penetration and still good mass.

Google "calculate FOC" and you'll find several easy and easy to understand tutorials. 9 -12% FOC is completely adequate, but no more 15%. Some people like to advocate very high FOC's, simply because it's the "flavour of the week". The new mantra for killing power. As with everything it's been taken to extremes.
And don't confuse traditional gear with compound gear, the physics are different enough to be considered different topics.

Cost is one of the last things I look at when buying arrows. Premium, top-end arrows are probably wasted on most people, including me, so I don't buy them, but price is often indicative of quality, so stay away from the "bargain" shafts. Consider upper-end of the middle.

Stéphane
06-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Listen to what Ambush has to say, he knows how to bring down games. You will have a lot of conflicting advice, and it can become very confusing. For instance, you are talking about FOC. I just bought 12 arrows and I got 6 of them at 10% and six at 12% (85gr point vs 100gr point). Many time I have been told that I would shoot better with the higher FOC. Well, after 50 shots, I can assure you that for my bow, my set up and myself, the 10% FOC gave every time a tighter group.
I took this with an open mind, not wanting one more than the other. I shot and shot until I would be satisfied with my choice. Now, as soon as bear season is over, I will set up my bow sight with my new arrows.
What I am trying to say here, is don't be afraid to test things instead of taking advice from everyone. Because what works for one is no guarantee it will for you.
Finally, congrats on your new hobby. It is such an addictive sports.

knockturnal
06-02-2012, 08:04 AM
I shoot a 28.5" 400 spine FMJ with a 100 gr tip, 29.5" draw at 73lbs. They shoot great to say the least.

Wild one
06-02-2012, 09:11 AM
This is the best advice I can give a new bowhunter/archer

1) find a good shop or knowledgeable archer to help you set up your rig correctly

2) Master your form before you worry about range. Having a good archer watch you shoot and pointing out flaws in form will be a big help.

3) Practice as much as you can. Don't just fling arrows but instead focus on getting tight consistent groups. Giving your self a small spot to shoot for on your target helps.

4) When it comes to hunting be honest with your self about your comfortable range and stick within it. Myself I take 10yards off of what I can do consistently for target and call that my max but I always try to get closer.

5) Don't just try to hit the animal in the kill zone but instead aim for a small spot in it.

6) Don't push your shots on an animal stick to high % shots

7) After the shot is made give the animal time to bed down and pass. I like about an hour my self before tracking.

Good luck