PDA

View Full Version : Your welcomed opinion in four words or less....

bosca
05-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Well Its official...i'm now in preseason scouting mode and this year I'm trying to get out of the tried and true Mule deer areas and get a little bit out of my comfort zone. I have been inquiring with contacts and perusing the 'Google earth....I am hoping to get a little informed feed back from my esteemed Hunting BC community. Not looking for too much...preferably 4 words or less on a general area that I am looking at if you are familiar with it...Here goes:

Approximately 10K South/East of Anderson lake area near twin Lakes in the alpine...

What do you think?

nolimits
05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
You can't be serious.

Gateholio
05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Tough hunting because it's steep, but there are deer there, like most areas of the province. No real giants I recall in the last few years but it's picturesque area to hunt.

nolimits
05-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Tough hunting because it's steep, but there are deer there, like most areas of the province. No real giants I recall in the last few years but it's picturesque area to hunt.

This isn't four words :mrgreen:

Trophyslayer
05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
The hills of kamloops

bosca
05-30-2012, 09:43 PM
The hills of kamloops
I agree...Definitely great!...Live there....doing that.
Just trying to expand my horizons.

bosca
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
You can't be serious.
Let me be a little more specific:
50° 30.024'N
122° 21.629'W

Caveman
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
In Your Own Backyard!

Gateholio
05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
To be honest, I'd echo what Dana has been saying for years.

Your backyard is your best chance. You can spend lots of time there as it's close to home. You can scout, do day hunts or multi day hunts with a camp but still go home if needed.

It's always funny to see how many leave thier areas in pursuit of a bounty of game. Vancouver hunters drive to Pemberton and Goldbridge. Pemberton hunters go to the Cariboo. Etc etc.

Investigating your backyard always yields the best rewards!

Caveman
05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
There are big bucks around where you live as Gate said. It is just dependant on having that local knowledge and time spent to narrow down where he is held up

Gateholio
05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
One other thing to consider is ADVENTURE. One of my favorite aspects of hunting is adventure and seeing the province. If that is a goal, then I encourage you to travel the province. I sure enjoy that aspect of hunting, despite it's drawbacks of having limited knowledge available. It sure is lots of fun to say "let's go here" even if the chances for big animals is lower due to less boots on the ground research.

bosca
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I gotchya guys...and I completely agree. I know we live in some the best mule deer habitat in BC and I have managed to harvest a couple good bucks over the years. I grew up in Merritt and have spent the last 20 years in Kamloops so I have gotten to know a few excellent areas very well.
Over the past few years I have been more and more interested in the alpine hunts...the idea of remote Isolated terrain with little chance of a encountering other people has a very strong appeal. I am in the process of finding another alpine area to try. If anyone has a suggestion for an alpine hunt that is a little closer to home please feel free to PM me.

In the mean time I really appreciate the honest opinions...Keep it coming. I hope to post some other ideas in near future.

BlacktailStalker
05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Thats the barkley alpine. Looks nice... THe quad trail is discouraging though.

Gateholio
05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
TONS of quads up Barkley Valley!

The Dude
05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Isn't that still Blacktail country? Or is it the Domain of the Mighty Hybrid?
And why is Lilloet so far from Lilloet Lake?
Always wondered that.

Four words?

Stay Off My Mountain! :D

5 spike
05-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Your backyard is your best chance. You can spend lots of time there as it's close to home. You can scout, do day hunts or multi day hunts with a camp but still go home if needed.

It's always funny to see how many leave thier areas in pursuit of a bounty of game. Vancouver hunters drive to Pemberton and Goldbridge. Pemberton hunters go to the Cariboo. Etc etc.

I dont leave my backyard.

Gateholio
05-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Isn't that still Blacktail country? Or is it the Domain of the Mighty Hybrid?
And why is Lilloet so far from Lilloet Lake?
Always wondered that.

Four words?

Stay Off My Mountain! :D

It's in Region 3, so it's mule deer. I assume some have blacktail blood, but it's pretty far from the blacktail "zone"

Squire
05-31-2012, 07:13 AM
It's pretty far from the B&C definition of a blacktail zone but the deer aren't pure Muley either. I have taken several bucks in this country and they were all hybrids. These deer can be large bodied - 100 pounds of deboned meat - but the headgear is more toward Blacktail. My best buck in twenty years of hunting this high country grossed around 145 and netted 136. I have only seen a few animals that would have scored higher and I scout in the summer and hunt in the fall every year.
It is beautiful and rugged country to hunt but you would probably have better success closer to home. Because of reduced deer numbers - they haven't recovered from the severe winters of 1996 and 1998 - your odds of success would definitely be better closer to home. As of Tuesday of this week there still wasn't any ground showing through the snow above 5,000 ft. I am very worried that this could be devastating to the remaining deer as I have actually glassed deer in the first grassy openings by late May in the past.

05-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Loaded with granola munchers till the steepness and snow keeps them limited, they push the game more then we hunters, to over used ....... way better places then that, in it's time it was good, those days are log gone. Golbridge, Bralorne ..... oh ya they have been mentioned already.

CT

open-sights
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
This thread sucks Bad!

bosca
05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
This thread sucks Bad!
Very imaginative! Polite to...

goatdancer
05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Clearwater.... Only used one word too.......

goatdancer
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Now a two word reply...... Follow Dana........

sawmill
05-31-2012, 03:02 PM
The best place is................................................ ......!!!!

sawmill
05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Awfully demanding for a guy who wants advice.Here`s 4 words for you.Awww ,forget it ,never mind.Don`t need a spanking from the Mods.

bosca
05-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Guys,Gals...Just wondering if anyone has spent time in the area and what they thought about the hunting. Ie., lots of deer...too steep...not worth the effort....
Didn't want to offend...Just trying to keep it simple.
My apologies for not being clearer.

REMINGTON JIM
05-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Follow the gut Piles

Cheers RJ :)

Jelvis
05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Clearwater Danaville can't beat that.

257stew
05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
"Take up goat hunting" ....see 4 words..... seriously, have never bumped into anyone while goat hunting, and you are in the alpine,great hunt and always fun. 257Stew

pg83
05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Far away from me. :D

SO many places to chase muley's in this province, you have almost unlimited options. Personally I am in the same boat as you with regards to the alpine. It can't be beat. Best of luck to you.

hitch
05-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Not worth it, Brah!

JAFA
05-31-2012, 11:54 PM

Hey Gate ...they frown on us taking the local deer off the Vancouver golf courses here so, we have to travel.

J.

Gateholio
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Hey JAFA

Go where you want. It's still funny to see people leaving thier backyard for some promised land. :)

Not that I am against it at all....I think adventure is one of the best aspects of hunting in BC

Paulyman
06-01-2012, 12:37 AM
people lazy, go 2 alpine

bosca
06-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks for all the input...posts and PMs. Looks like I'll be changing my focus to some areas up the north Thompson...or should I say Danaville.
Dana if your reading...Is there some kind of application I should be filling out. From the sounds of things you own these mountains. :)
Thanks to all...I will be hitting you up for comments on other areas...Maybe I'll open up the word restriction. :-D

trapperdan2061
06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
waited to long eh!

BCrams
06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Hike above Duffy Lake.

dino
06-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Well Its official...i'm now in preseason scouting mode and this year I'm trying to get out of the tried and true Mule deer areas and get a little bit out of my comfort zone. I have been inquiring with contacts and perusing the 'Google earth....I am hoping to get a little informed feed back from my esteemed Hunting BC community. Not looking for too much...preferably 4 words or less on a general area that I am looking at if you are familiar with it...Here goes:

Approximately 10K South/East of Anderson lake area near twin Lakes in the alpine...

What do you think?

Hey bud here's a place ive been and seen some bucks in. I believe them to be hybrids but some good sized bucks are there for sure. There are quads and bikes on the trail but hike off of it to the next valley and the muleys are there. Go right on the season opener or forget it, they timber up quick.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/googlemapbarkly.jpg