PDA

View Full Version : caribou meat?

xcaribooer
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
This is a curiosity question. I would like some opinions on caribou meat. From what I have read it is quite tasty pre rut but practically inedible once the rut is on. What have you found? what can you compare it too?

Tenacious Billy
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Shot a boo that we figured was early into the rut one year while out sheep hunting - worst tasting animal I've ever eaten, hands down. The smell alone was something to behold.

I can't speak for a pre-rut animal, but my advice if you're looking to fill the freezer would be to pass on animals you think may be rutting.

d6dan
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Shot mine in Sept and he was really good eating. the texture was comparable to a fine grained meat. I've heard never to eat it once the rut starts.

yukon john
05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
quite tasty pre rut but practically inedible once the rut is on.
Thats exactly right. In august they are great eating, first week of sept. is 50/50 after that pray a griz hits camp

pnbrock
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Ravens and coyotes turn there nose up at that crapp!!!

rifleman
05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
"Some" of the best eating wild game meat is the back strap from a nice healthy caribou still in velvet......

dogger
05-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Shot mine 15th Sept was in agroup of about 30. Probably right on the edge of the rut. The meat was really good!

kennyj
05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
We've shot caribou as late as Oct 4th and the meat was good.
kenny

gerrygoat
05-30-2012, 06:17 PM
I shot my one and only caribou on August 30th and it was one of the very best eating animals I have ever eaten, need to do that again sometime soon.

Tanya
05-31-2012, 06:03 AM
All the 'bou we've taken were in August, and absolutely super good eats. I too have been told that meat from rutting caribou is not edible.

Skull Hunter
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
I had some Caribou backstraps last night and they were delicious! Put a little spice rub on them, then on the grill and basted with a little Hoisin Sauce served with garlic mashed spuds and grilled zucchini, yum! I shot my Caribou on Sept 10th last year and it is some of the best tasting meat I've ever had. I even prefer it over the 3 year old moose I shot 2 season ago. I've also heard rutting caribou are terrible, so my advice would be to head out at the end of August and enjoy the fine table fare!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
We've shot 4 in the cassiars all on Sept 18th. All were great ....and with cows.

SSS

beeugle
07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
even my dogs wouldn't eat it..... must have been from the rut, a buddy gave me some.... we're not friends now...lol!!!!!!kidding ... but truth is it was horrible.... had to be rutted up...

willyqbc
07-31-2012, 05:30 AM
Buddy of mine shot an early season velvet bull a few years back and gave me a few packs of steaks from it. By far it was the best tasting meat I have ever eaten......better than moose, better than elk!:shock:
No experience with rutted up 'boo....thank god!

Chris

kitnayakwa77
08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Have shot a couple over the last two years, both on the same date, Sept 13, a year apart. The one I got in 2010 was fighting with the caribou that my hunting partner shot the next day. The meat was delicious from both caribou, and was fine-grained and so red it was almost a purplish color. My wife and I prefer it over moose, it has a different unique taste but not gamey at all. Probably the best game meat I've tried so far.

Foxton Gundogs
08-05-2012, 07:42 AM
What every one else has said. A rutting 'bou will drive a dog off a gut wagon, pre rut MMMMMMM good eats, "Ya cin't buy that in no store, AAHHH:tongue:"