PDA

View Full Version : 6-12 / 6-13 black bear closure

Iltasyuko
05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I see the Queen Charlotte Islands black bear season has been closed for 2012. What is the rationale for the closure after 4 bear kills have been documented?

just hunt
05-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Locales just don't want us there.

Jelvis
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
big game guides need some more bears?

d6dan
05-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Treaty deal?.

nolimits
05-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Treaty deal?.

Methinks the same.

MichelD
05-30-2012, 08:45 AM
The posting of this video in 2008 had a lot to do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIjV3lJ0Bs

Read more here:

http://www.bcbusinessonline.ca/bcb/top-stories/2008/09/03/bear-hunting-queen-charlotte-islands

d6dan
05-30-2012, 09:00 AM
The posting of this video in 2008 had a lot to do with it

This "4 bear" is for resident hunters only.
It has nothing to do with foreign hunters and the Outfitters. I wonder if their quotas were cut?.

MichelD
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
NFORMATION BULLETIN

2012FOR0077-000768
May 29, 2012

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

Haida Gwaii black bear hunting season closes
QUEEN CHARLOTTE – The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations has closed the black bear hunting season on Haida Gwaii.

The closure will take effect at midnight on Friday, June 1, 2012.

The fall black bear season is also closed. The season closes 72 hours after public notification that a total of four black bears have been harvested on Haida Gwaii by licensed hunters. The closure covers Wildlife Management Units 6-12 and 6-13.

Brennan Clarke
Public Affairs Officer
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
250 356-5261

Connect with the Province of B.C. at www.gov.bc.ca/connect (http://www.gov.bc.ca/connect)

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Complete and utter BULLSH*T ! that is - tons of bears in the QCI (haida gwaii LOL ! ) there dying of old age ! - all POLITICS !!!! and MONEY !!!! and the taxpaying bc hunter gets shafted again ! :evil: RJ

d6dan
05-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I was under the Impression it was for residence only. :? I guess resident hunters will have a slim chance competing with the outfitter.

Goliath
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
QCI black bears are not in danger of extirpation. Contrary, the population always has and always will be healthy.

There is an abundance of food (fish, deer & vegetables), and few humans on QCI to quarrel with.

This closure smells awfully similar to the closures up the Cassiar hwy...know what I mean?

junkyard_g
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Its due to FN lobbying. They are trying to shutdown the outfitter as well. I believe there is only one bear outfitter left in qci but don't quote me on that.

ps. I've worked on the charlottes, it has nothing to do with bear populations...

05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
That is not good.

Iltasyuko
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I just sent an email to brennan.clarke@gov.bc.ca requesting the rationale and process leading to the decision to close the QCI black bear season after four bears are harvested. Feel free to do the same.

ThinAir
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
It's a political thing. Nothing to due with black bear numbers... hunted there this past November. It's like the bears know their safe. Absolutly no fear of humans.

The CO on the island will spend a good portion of his time dealing with sh-t disturbing bears in the future... you can be assured of that.

Iltasyuko
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Here is the response from the Province.

In 2005, the Province of British Columbia made a commitment to the Haida First Nation to review options to end the commercial (guided) and recreational (resident) hunt of Black bears on Haida Gwaii. In 2008, that commitment was further refined that if the Haida Nation purchased all of the guide outfitting territories on Haida Gwaii and ended the commercial hunt of Black bears, that the annual harvest of black bears would be capped at 4. This agreement was put into place to fulfill the mandate to maintain an effective and respectful relationship with the Haida Nation and the commitment to represent the resident hunters of British Columbia.
In the spring of 2011, the Haida Nation purchased the guide outfitting territories on Haida Gwaii, ending the non-resident hunt of Black bears. Government then fulfilled the 2008 commitment and implemented regulations capping the resident licensed harvest of Black bears on Haida Gwaii at 4 per year. This amendment does not affect the Haida Nations constitutional right to harvest Black bears for food, social, or ceremonial purposes. Black bears harvested by unlicensed First Nations will not be counted towards the resident harvest cap of four bears per year.

Prior to Haida Nation acquisition of the guide outfitter territories the average non-resident harvest on Haida Gwaii was approximately 48 bears per year. Upon transfer of the guide outfitting territories the Haida have ceased guiding non-residents for Black bears. Should the Haida choose to re-establish a non-resident hunt for Black bears on the islands, regulations pertaining to resident hunters will be reconsidered.

The harvest cap of 4 Black bears for residents was determined by using the average resident harvest of Black bears on Haida Gwaii for the 5 year period preceding the 2008 commitment. This number was chosen to ensure that resident demand for Haida Black bears is still being met, while recognizing the traditional and cultural values that the Haida place on Black bears.

The annual bag limit for Black bears on Haida Gwaii was decreased from two to one to accommodate for the harvest cap. Monitoring of Black bears harvested by BC residents will be completed through the Compulsory Inspection program. Hunters will be required to submit the skull and the hide with evidence of sex attached, within ten days of the kill, to a compulsory inspection centre. Harvested Black bears may be inspected at any of the Compulsory Inspection centers located throughout the province. A list of compulsory inspectors for the province is available at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/ci.html (wlmailhtml:{B8DA2B83-9D76-4252-986E-4E6255A7B32A}mid://00000008/!x-usc:http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/ci.html). Hunters have been given the additional option of inspecting harvested Black bears in Queen Charlotte City by appointment (call 250-559-6200). The open seasons for black bear in Management Units 6-12 and 6-13 will remain unchanged at April 1 to June 30 and September 1 to November 30. However, a maximum harvest of four bears per licence year will be implemented; the season will close 72 hours after the regional manager has published the fact that four black bears have been killed by hunters.

Husky7mm
05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Wont it be great when the rest of the province can be micro managed to death to please all the other FN's to there liking what ever that may be......?

6 K
05-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Just shoot em!

Jelvis
05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Thee "Biggest" black bears in North America on the qweens. Huge like grizzly. It's crazy.
Jelly ( Huge ) Boars, I know the bear hunter from Kammy who has been there, whoa! Monsters.
Heads on some boars as big as a full grown pumpkin .. Snouts the size of a grapefruit ..