PDA

View Full Version : Pork on sale at Costco

reach
05-28-2012, 10:23 PM
For those who use pork to mix in with game meat in sausage/pepperoni recipes - Costco has $5 off whole boneless pork loins this week. The normal prices are $15 to $20 per pack (reg about $2/lb) so that works out to about $1.30 to $1.50 a pound after the discount.

Is this a good cut for mixing, or would a fattier cut be better?

RENO
05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
You want to use Pork shoulder, or they also call them pork butts, more fat and will make your sausage/pepperoni moist, loins will be less to no fat and dry, same for the leg meat.

Goliath
05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I usually buy whole pork legs from save-on when they go on sale around Christmas. Around $20 per leg...stock up on cheap yummy pig.

cdub
05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
i use those for loin bacon. Pump them full of brine for 4-5 days then smoke them. Slice it up and a quick fry with eggs.

Allen50
05-29-2012, 11:24 AM
i use the game i got, if i want pork sausage i buy pork sausage,, when eating game i want game meat,,,:confused:

cdub
05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
i agree, but moose and venison is very lean and a mix with some pork makes the sausage a bit moister to eat. Also if you have limited amounts of stew meat the pork helps stretch it out. On the island the blaktails dont have much meat for sausage as almost every bit of them is tender and not gamey.

i use the game i got, if i want pork sausage i buy pork sausage,, when eating game i want game meat,,,:confused: