PDA

View Full Version : Bear hide questions

onpoint
05-28-2012, 02:00 PM
This will be my first season going for blacks and want to make sure the hide is well taken care of. I don't want the perfect rug, just a throw or something to hang so I did some research and see that this is considerably less involved and less expensive than a proper rug. Also, read that some guys were burned by a few tanneries so was hoping to get some advice on where to take the hide if we get one (this weekend). I live in North Van. And if it's just going to be a throw, do I bother keeping head and pads? This will be a weekend hunt, planned on salting but is it necessary? I want/plan on doing this right so will take the necessary time to handle the hide properly but so any tips/advice very welcome.

xtremearchery
05-28-2012, 02:47 PM
I would keep head and claws attached. Even if you're going to make a throw rug, still has character. Plus I beleive you have to take the whole hide not parts out of the bush. I may be wrong, but better safe than sorry. Good luck and take lots of salt with you!

05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Skin it all nose to tail, remove the large foot pads as they are not useful unless your doing a full mount. Google bear skinning tips, look after it from the start, be-careful not to allow the fats to spoil throughout the entire hide, gums to tail, flesh the hell out of it, salt the hell out of it. Get help if it's your first. It can be tricky around the lips, ears and claws.
Head on makes for a better throw and hanging if not into a rug.
CT

bandit
05-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Plus I beleive you have to take the whole hide not parts out of the bush. I may be wrong, but better safe than sorry.

p18 hunting regs says you only need to remove the edible portions of big game animals (loins, 4 quarters) to your normal dwelling or a meat cutter. No mention of hide. Extra rules with bears - you cant "possess" a gall bladder, nor export the paws.

I have never skinned out bear paws before but dont think it would be too easy. Best leave it to a pro or leave them behind in the bush.

warnniklz
05-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Make sure the hide cools overnight where animals can't get at it. Then fold the legs flesh side in and roll up with hair out. Toss in a garbage bag and into your freezer and you can save until later. But make sure the hide cools first or the hair will fall out.

Steeleco
05-28-2012, 05:41 PM
And DON'T enclose the head in the hide, it takes the longest to freeze and the longest to thaw, it will mess up the facial hairs if not done right.

You DO NOT need to pack any hides, some are not worth it. You'll know when you see one. I've left many for the yotes to floss on!!!

onpoint
05-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, great info. Is there a particular type of salt you'd recommend? I've read non-iodized, fine grain but have also read that it should be "feed salt" as in super fine salt-lick type salt?? I've seen anything from 20-40 lbs online and know it will depend on size of the bear so I guess bring extra would be the call but is there a average amount??

Good2bCanadian
05-28-2012, 07:54 PM
If you go to the closest corner store and purchase 8 boxes of salt be prepared for some questions. lol

"What the hell are you boys up to?"................

bigwhiteys
05-28-2012, 08:18 PM
I just shot a bear this weekend, shot it late Friday and didn't get it to a taxi until Monday. It was really warm too...

Friday

#1. Skinned bear immediately, left pretty much zero meat/fat on the hide.
#2. Laid stretched out, hair side down next to cool creek.
#3. Used very lightly damp cloths to remove most blood and any moisture.
#4. Trimmed any excess fat or meat left over from my rookie help hahahaha!
#5. Left stretched out over night.

Saturday

#1. First thing in the morning, got up went to my hide.
#2. Skinned out face and head.
#3. Turned ears (easy on a bear) Grab ear from the inside while face is inside out and push, you'll see where you need to cut. Use a stick or something blunt/rounded to stick in the ear to help.
#4. Skinned out tail cartiledge -Grab tail push UP into the hide, you'll see where to cut to remove the cartiledge.
#5. Skinned out paws ( if you're rugging it you can remove the big pads - if you're mounting it - cut around them -leaving them attached with a good sized flap of skin, you can then lay them over to the side and more easily access all finger joints.
#6. Don't run out of scalpals! I couldn't finish the last 3 paws, so I removed as much as I could get and then salted the crap out of the paws/face/tail/ears.

#7. Dug hole in shady forested area near camp about 3'x3' and wrapped bear skin to skin and laid him in the hole neatly folded up. He spent the day there.

#8. In the evening brought bear out of the hole, draped him out on the rocks near the creek, to spend the evening with the cool air.

Sunday

Got home and put bear in freezer.

Today

Took rug to taxidermist and the hide was in great shape no slippage at all.

Good Luck! Nothing better to learn on than a bear IMHO.

onpoint
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow, awesome stuff BW. Really appreciate the step-by-step. Hopefully post some pics and report on "rookie-hide-management 101" after the weekend.

Steeleco
05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
It's best you speak to the person that is going to do your hide up for you. They will tell you how they like to get a raw hide. That said, if your able to freeze is after a good treatment like bigwhiteys your better off not salting it at all. The salt will lower the freezing point.

REMINGTON JIM
05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Excellent writeup with the step by step ! bigwhiteys on the hide skinning for rug preperation etc - good job !:-D

Cheers RJ

nolimits
05-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I just shot a bear this weekend, shot it late Friday and didn't get it to a taxi until Monday. It was really warm too...

Friday

#1. Skinned bear immediately, left pretty much zero meat/fat on the hide.
#2. Laid stretched out, hair side down next to cool creek.
#3. Used very lightly damp cloths to remove most blood and any moisture.
#4. Trimmed any excess fat or meat left over from my rookie help hahahaha!
#5. Left stretched out over night.

Saturday

#1. First thing in the morning, got up went to my hide.
#2. Skinned out face and head.
#3. Turned ears (easy on a bear) Grab ear from the inside while face is inside out and push, you'll see where you need to cut. Use a stick or something blunt/rounded to stick in the ear to help.
#4. Skinned out tail cartiledge -Grab tail push UP into the hide, you'll see where to cut to remove the cartiledge.
#5. Skinned out paws ( if you're rugging it you can remove the big pads - if you're mounting it - cut around them -leaving them attached with a good sized flap of skin, you can then lay them over to the side and more easily access all finger joints.
#6. Don't run out of scalpals! I couldn't finish the last 3 paws, so I removed as much as I could get and then salted the crap out of the paws/face/tail/ears.

#7. Dug hole in shady forested area near camp about 3'x3' and wrapped bear skin to skin and laid him in the hole neatly folded up. He spent the day there.

#8. In the evening brought bear out of the hole, draped him out on the rocks near the creek, to spend the evening with the cool air.

Sunday

Got home and put bear in freezer.

Today

Took rug to taxidermist and the hide was in great shape no slippage at all.

Good Luck! Nothing better to learn on than a bear IMHO.

Great stuff bigwhiteys. I'd have difficult time finding a better writeup even in Encyclopedia Britannica ;). Thanks.

onpoint
06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Just a quick follow-up on the weekend guys. Managed to tag my first bear and the advice re. hide care was more than helpful. BW thanks again for the in depth instructions. Will post the full story later.