PDA

View Full Version : A Pleasant Reunion !!!!!!

greybark
05-28-2012, 08:43 AM
:-D While attending the recent TBBC Rendezvous in Rock Creek an unexpected reunion occurred .
Back around 28 years ago I gave a Browning Kids Compound bow to a six year old lad who was home schooled and raised on a Ranch high up the Christian Valley North of Rock Ck .
Well the night before the 3-D event started I was talking to a fellow archer at his tent when one of the RC Club members finished his work on the trail and stopped by us . Before I could introduce myself this six ft logger blurted out " I know you" but I was puzzled as to who he was . He further explained that he was raised on the High Ventures Ranch and when around 6 years old I gifted him a kids compound bow . As we talked i realized what a special moment this was .
The bow was one of two given to two younsters at the Rendal Ck ranch (farther up the Valley) several years prior . One bow survived and when that boy outgrew it he returned to me and I passed on to a young Wilf . Wilf now a logger and member of the RC comunitee is an avid Bow Hunter .
The previous youngster is now a General in the USA Airforce .
:-D Indeed a good moment .....
Cheers

Caveman
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Very cool story! Sounds like you made a great impression on the young guy which he never forgot, thanks for sharing!

Islandbowhunter
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Right there, that's what it's all about.

GoatGuy
05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Well done GB!!!!!

Ruger4
05-28-2012, 03:03 PM
:-D While attending the recent TBBC Rendezvous in Rock Creek an unexpected reunion occurred .
Back around 28 years ago I gave a Browning Kids Compound bow to a six year old lad who was home schooled and raised on a Ranch high up the Christian Valley North of Rock Ck .
Well the night before the 3-D event started I was talking to a fellow archer at his tent when one of the RC Club members finished his work on the trail and stopped by us . Before I could introduce myself this six ft logger blurted out " I know you" but I was puzzled as to who he was . He further explained that he was raised on the High Ventures Ranch and when around 6 years old I gifted him a kids compound bow . As we talked i realized what a special moment this was .
The bow was one of two given to two younsters at the Rendal Ck ranch (farther up the Valley) several years prior . One bow survived and when that boy outgrew it he returned to me and I passed on to a young Wilf . Wilf now a logger and member of the RC comunitee is an avid Bow Hunter .
The previous youngster is now a General in the USA Airforce .
:-D Indeed a good moment .....
Cheers

Cool story , hope you didnt give Wilf more than an oz of rum in his drink during this reunion !!!
That's a story for another day !! in short......great people in the Rock , Wilf and his crew have done a great job and 100's of hours in the last couple years making this a fantastic 3d / TBBC venue !! We're going to avoid the BC's crowd and hang our hat's there again for their next shoot.............

Bow Walker
05-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Well..........apparently there are some benefits to growing older(er). :mrgreen:

Onesock
05-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Good on ya Ken. Well done.

J_T
05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I'll just pipe in here. Greybark may be old and salty now (actually I think that's how I've always known him) but he has forever reached out to provide young people opportunity to participate in bowhunting. His youth bows are legend up and down the Christian Valley. Moving them from one young person to another. About 15 years ago he was a key member in the campaign for the TBBC to make donations to youth for those pursuing education in outdoor resource fields and also most importantly, sizable contributions to young people in the Children's hospital. He has touched my heart more than a few times.

05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Cool story, sounds like you may have played a part in that guys life!
Gave him a bow at 6 and now 28 years later he is helping at these events..

Jagermeister
05-28-2012, 03:56 PM
That is just awesome Greybark. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png

Riverbc
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
*Sniff* Group Hug!!

:-D

Stéphane
05-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I'll just pipe in here. Greybark may be old and salty now (actually I think that's how I've always known him) but he has forever reached out to provide young people opportunity to participate in bowhunting. His youth bows are legend up and down the Christian Valley. Moving them from one young person to another. About 15 years ago he was a key member in the campaign for the TBBC to make donations to youth for those pursuing education in outdoor resource fields and also most importantly, sizable contributions to young people in the Children's hospital. He has touched my heart more than a few times.

And I'll say not only to youths, but to older new bow hunters. I am a beneficiary of his generosity. He never asked for anything, and yet, he will go out of his way to help others. I'm a fan!