PDA

View Full Version : Found Pack - by Sheep Creek Valley

SavageShooter
05-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Howdy, doing a little bear hunting today and found a pack that looks like it got lost during last year's deer season.
It has lots of good gear and I would like to return it to its rightful owner.
If you lost a pack in the Sheep Creek Valley area, please PM me and describe some of its contents and hopefully you can be reunited with your pack.

Cheers,

SS

Jagermeister
05-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Along the road or in the forest away from the road? Odd when you find a pack and no body in it.

sawmill
05-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Is that sheep creek here in the Cranbrook area?If so I bet I know whos it is.He set his down to go after a big buck and never could find it.Had his tags in it too I think.

One Shot
05-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Good on you for trying to find the owner. Too many others would have kept it for themselves. Good luck.....Let us know the rest of the story when you find the owner.

05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Is that sheep creek here in the Cranbrook area?If so I bet I know whos it is.He set his down to go after a big buck and never could find it.Had his tags in it too I think.

Would be cool to hear another "Returned it" story...

Mark_S
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
You might need to be a little more precise on where you found it. I can think of 3 different sheep creeks in the Kootenays alone.

Jagermeister
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
You might need to be a little more precise on where you found it. I can think of 3 different sheep creeks in the Kootenays alone.
He doesn't have to be that precise at all. The psuedo-owner has to know where he lost or misplaced it. The rest of us can just wait for "the rest of the story"

curt
05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
savage shooter you are a man of much integrity good things happen to good people we need more people like you around there is no doubt!!

ramron
05-28-2012, 04:22 PM

If it had tags in it, would'nt there be a name also??

05-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Good on you for trying to find the owner. Too many others would have kept it for themselves. Good luck.....Let us know the rest of the story when you find the owner.

I agree - good for the OP and I hope the owner gets his/her stuff back.

Wrj
05-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Good on you! If the rightful owner is found I'm sure they'll be pretty pleased!!!

anglo-saxon
05-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Way to go trying to find the rightful owner. Good on you!

nolimits
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
There must be a story behind leaving/loosing a pack in the bush to start with. Can't wait to see if the pack and it owner can be reunited. Good job OP for giving it a try.

Weatherby Fan
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Like in always say HBC is full of great people,this is another example of that !
WF

SavageShooter
05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Not to give away too much info, the pack was found in the Sheep Creek valley near Rossland, that should be more than enough to connect the dots for the rightful owner.

SS

nolimits
05-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Not to give away too much info, the pack was found in the Sheep Creek valley near Rossland, that should be more than enough to connect the dots for the rightful owner.

SS

Ha!! Was there that mentioned tags book inside???

sawmill
05-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Wouldn`t be my guys,too far away.

Fishhound
05-29-2012, 06:31 AM
SavageShooter, good on you for trying to get the pack and its contents back to its owner, the world needs more people like you

000buck
05-29-2012, 07:21 AM
did you check the "not exposed" side for grizz drool

whitetailsheds
05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Did it have "D.B. Cooper" written on it anywhere?

SavageShooter
05-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Checked for names and anything else that might give a clue to the owner's identity.
Thank you for the kind words, they are much appreciated but it was my father's sugestion to post it up on Hunting BC. He is and has always been my moral compass. So I will pass on the kind words.

SS

05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
What was in it? any good stuff?

You have done your best to return th bag, sometimes you get to say "SCORE!" too. I bet sawmill was on to something, i bet the guy saw a deer and put his pack down to get close to it and lost it.

bighornbob
05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
put his pack down to get close to it and lost it.

I did this once and only once. I was sheep hunting up near Atlin and left my pack in a large open area next to a huge boulder so I could find it. Made my stock on some rams. Nothing was legal and two hours later I came back and for the life of me could not find the pack. The open area was full of large boulders. If I was not in the middle of no where and they were not boulders I would have thought someone was playing a mean trip on me. After an hour of searching I found my pack and to this day I do not take it off and put it down for no reason other then to rest. You never know what may happen, even just a quick look over the ridge 50m away, I take the pack.

Now that I carry a GPS, I mark the locations of everything that I want to find again from the truck, to stand locations, trail camera locations, camp spots, water holes etc etc.

BHB

05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Yep, Mine is welded to my back! course it is only a day pack and not a sheep pack.....

hunter1947
05-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Good on you Criss for posting this up on the site as said many of times before there are real good people on this site..

Downunder hunter
05-31-2012, 04:14 AM
It's nice to know there are still honest blokes like yourself out there, few & far between down here in Australia these days, generally the 'finders keepers' rule applies here...

Paulyman
05-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Last time I put my pack down I came back to a immy moose standing directly over top of it, I had just been calling from where my pack was for a couple of hours and decided to go for a quick walk to see if there any moose sneaking in.

jtred
05-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Sometimes camo stuff really works against us. My new day pack is done up in real tree camo and this past spring while turkey until I set it down against a tree and stepped off the game trail I was on to answer the call of nature. Even though I knew where it was and I moved only twenty or so feet away it blended in so well I literally couldn't see it. Since then I tied a little bright orange flagging tape to the handle on top just so it isn't quite as invisible. Some of this camo is unbelievably realistic, and this wasn't even a particularly expensive one, all the stuff in it I wouldn't want to lose.

MattW
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I did this once and only once. I was sheep hunting up near Atlin and left my pack in a large open area next to a huge boulder so I could find it. Made my stock on some rams. Nothing was legal and two hours later I came back and for the life of me could not find the pack. The open area was full of large boulders. If I was not in the middle of no where and they were not boulders I would have thought someone was playing a mean trip on me. After an hour of searching I found my pack and to this day I do not take it off and put it down for no reason other then to rest. You never know what may happen, even just a quick look over the ridge 50m away, I take the pack.

Now that I carry a GPS, I mark the locations of everything that I want to find again from the truck, to stand locations, trail camera locations, camp spots, water holes etc etc.

BHB
Yep, been there done that. Also up by Aitlin, there's a LOT of boulders there. Mine was dumber though because I did mark it on the GPS, it just took me a while searching before I remembered that I had marked it. DUH

SavageShooter
06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Bump, to see if this rings a bell with anyone.

SS

greybark
06-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Like BBB I took off my pack and spent three hours trying to get within bow range of a Cari-bou .Later I could not find my pack which contained a $300 watch . Next day one of my hunt partners found it and it cost me a whole Pie at May`s Kitchen .
Cheers

palmer
06-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Lots of smugglers use that valley to access the US and Canada, maybe it was left behind by one of those....Found a pack once that had been used for such adventures....