PDA

View Full Version : what arrows to use

270WIN
05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
well i sold my compound bow a few years ago may be3 years ago. Well decided it is time to get back into archery. picked my self up a bowtech assasin. Bow feels good in my hands and comfotable to shoot. Well i am in the market for some arrows for th bow. i am looking for a good arrow in the 100 to 150 dollar mark per dozon. i just want to use the one arrow for all my needs 3D and hunting. i will be shooting 60 pounds with a 28 inch draw. after somereadinglooks like the blazer vane is the new in thing for vanes. does any one have any good arrow ideas

mikeboehm
05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Gold tip expedition or XT. Order from bowhunters superstore in the usa there $59.99 a dozen for shafts. Excellent arrows

Riverbc
05-27-2012, 06:26 PM
x2 for Gold Tip. I shoot the Expedition Hunter..and I bought from Bowhunter's Superstore as well. I have them shipped to Ship Happens in Sumas, and save a ton $ I believe it was $79 for a dozen, cut to size, inserts glue in, Blazer vanes, and shipping.

Bow Walker
05-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Gold tip expedition or XT. Order from bowhunters superstore in the usa there $59.99 a dozen for shafts. Excellent arrows

Have you access to an arrow cut-off saw and a fletching jig? If yes - then order the uncut shafts, then cut an equal amount from both ends of the shaft. Straightens lesser expensive shafts so that they are as good (or better) than the more expensive shafts. Plus it's a real rush to make and shoot your own arrows.

X3 on the Gold Tips. I've had very good results with them for the past 12 years or so. I have been using the Expedition Hunters and have been (and still am) very pleased with them.

jetboat jim
05-27-2012, 07:25 PM
I use the carbon x weave in the 300 gn............took a few animals with them.

mikeboehm
05-27-2012, 08:12 PM
I used the carbon xweaves for 2 years. Over priced and broke way to often. Sinced i switched to gold tip havent broke any.

Jonas111
05-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Depends what you want more, speed or kinetic energy.

I use VAP for 3D and I use Easton ACC for hunting. The ACC's are heavy for hunting and the VAP are light and faster for 3d.

Stéphane
05-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Are they any arrows that are bad? I have GT XT and I am about try a set of of GT Velocity XT. I'm not expecting any great difference except they're a bit lighter.

I do like the toughness of GT, that's about it. Again, I don't really have anything to compare it to.

xtremearchery
05-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Victory VForce HV's are an awesome arrow. Stiff spine and very light. I use them both for 3D and big game hunting. Nothing wrong with GT's though. They are very durable and affordable. With todays tech, you can't go wrong. From a dealers stand point, I do not like Easton. They change their specs way to often. Just my 2 cents.

Ruger4
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM
VAP's for 3D hunting and 900's / Target

swamper
05-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Goldtip all the way. Tough arrows, unless you hit a rock. I've been using them for 9 years. Have tried others but always come back to GT.

Bow Walker
05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Are they any arrows that are bad? I have GT XT and I am about try a set of of GT Velocity XT. I'm not expecting any great difference except they're a bit lighter.

I do like the toughness of GT, that's about it. Again, I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Stephane....
There are arrow shafts that are more expensive than GT's - but they are not more durable nor are they as tough as the GT's.

Nothing out there - to my knowledge - can match the GT's for price point plus durability. If there are other shafts as tough I haven't met them in over 12 years of shooting. :mrgreen:

hunter1993ap
05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
i normally fletch all my arrows myself but i found myself in a store and needed arrows so i bought some victory vforce arrows with blazer vanes. i love the arrows they fly very well but a few of the fletch just pops off when i shoot so i will never be buying prefletched arrows again. i much prefer to fletch my own but in the shop there were no bare shafts to choose from. i guess its a lesson learned but they are great arrows and blazer vanes are top notch as well.

mikeboehm
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Victory hv's are garbage. Very weak. My omen broke 5 out of 12 the first time i used them at a 3d. I know so many people who used them and switched. They are the weakest arrows ive shot.

Bow Walker
05-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Victory hv's are garbage. Very weak. My omen broke 5 out of 12 the first time i used them at a 3d. I know so many people who used them and switched. They are the weakest arrows ive shot.

Victory's low-end arrows don't sound so good - but the v-force sound like they are better.

Which is why I prefer Gold Tip shafts.

All their shafts - starting with their least expensive ones - are tough, durable, and take a ton of punishment.

tshort
05-29-2012, 09:25 AM
i shoot gold tip warrior's out of my diamond razor edge at 60lb and 26in draw love them i have shot beeman's and i only have 2 left of the dozen they broke in the 3d deer on impact.

todbartell
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I've been using the Gold Tip XT Hunters lately, before that their Expedition Hunters. Next I might try some Gold Tip Zebra print Ted Nugent shafts cuz they kooool

Bowzone_Mikey
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
GT expition hunters are a great arrow .. Used them before I got myself into some Darkhorse shafts

either way for 60 pound draw 28" I would go with some 400 spines or a 55-75 label .. cut at about 27" tipped with 100 Grain heads and blazers ... If you intend to use Mechanical broadheads I would go with mini blazers ... for fixed heads use regular blazers.

Bow Walker
05-29-2012, 12:06 PM
I've been using the Gold Tip XT Hunters lately, before that their Expedition Hunters. Next I might try some Gold Tip Zebra print Ted Nugent shafts cuz they kooool

They're also very heavy.

todbartell
05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
They're also very heavy.

ten grains more. Kinda like shooting a magnum (8)

mplozzer
05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
any thoughts on the carbon express maxima hunter - in the market for some new arrows was going to pick up 1/2 doz of these but now i'm leaning towards the gold tip

Bow Walker
05-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Well........dollar for dollar I'd go for the GT's, you'll be pleased. If GT's are harder to come by where you live - then go with what's available. I'm sure that they'll do the job for you.

mplozzer
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
many people site bowhunters superstore as the place to order goldtip arrows - the website shipping terms puts arrows @ approx 5lbs which means shipping = $32 (is this accurate? if so are the goldtips worth the extra shipping charges?) compared to the carbon express maxima hunter

willyqbc
05-31-2012, 03:13 PM
gold tip 7595.....what grade is up to you. Cut the shaft to 29" with 100 grain broadhead should get you in the neighbourhood of a 400 grain arrow. The spine will be just a touch stiff for your set-up, which is what I prefer my hunting shafts to be....slightly weak shafts don't do well with broadheads. The ultralight 400's or 5575's will be slightly weak.

My .02 cents

Chris

Bow Walker
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
many people site bowhunters superstore as the place to order goldtip arrows - the website shipping terms puts arrows @ approx 5lbs which means shipping = $32 (is this accurate? if so are the goldtips worth the extra shipping charges?) compared to the carbon express maxima hunter

You can get GT's for $59.99/doz - shipped for $9.99 via USPS..............what's the problem?

I've yet to see any Cdn company come even close to that.

Superdeuce
05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Easton FMJ

mplozzer
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
i'm just going by what the bowhunters superstore website is saying - int shipping to (canada) arrows = 5lbs which is $32 (if they ship for less then the website is deceiving

Bow Walker
05-31-2012, 08:21 PM
PM inbound with some details.......