PDA

View Full Version : Wife’s first Yogi!

Rhyno
05-27-2012, 12:15 PM
My wife’s first year hunting has been a ton of fun, lots of trips with the kids, a few close calls and finally some success! We headed out for an afternoon hunt on a bit of a gloomy day for the last day of the long weekend. We had just missed out on an opportunity on a nice bear the evening before. I had pretty high hope as we headed out. We walked up an old cut and saw tons of fresh sign, but no bears. So it was off to the spot we had last seen one.
We were walking down the old logging road into the cut, but no bears were we had seen them the night before. My wife walked up over to a rise to get a better view and quickly back peddled. A bear was feeding about 15 ft away. We were trying to whisper and figure out the best shooting position, as she was not comfortable with a free hand shot, plus I am sure even a 3X the scope would just be a mass of fur! Well the bear must have heard us as he poked his head over the rise and was looking at us from 10ft and apparently didn’t like what he saw and was off. We saw where he ran into, so I set my wife up where it when in, while I circled around. 200 yards away I saw a bear feeding in the alders. Back to grab the wife to put a stalk on him. On our way down, we saw a bear running up the cut on the opposite side of the road I had seen the bear. We thought that was it, but there was still a bear in the same spot. We snuck down and set up to watch from 75yards, after quite a while we determined it was alone. There was no suitable rest to shoot from so after trying various positions the most stable was the gun on her knees while leaning against my back. Only problem was I couldn’t see the action! We watched and watched and watched, but the bear was sticking to the alders. He finally cleared them, but wouldn’t turn sideways….damn, back in the alders….after another 15 minutes or so he fed his way out on the opposite side. I had been sitting so long not seeing the action I was starting to day dream, but I was startled by a boom!, as she finally had her shot. I spun around asking if he was down, just then I saw him moving through alders with great difficulty, so I lined him up to make sure he stay put…another boom and he dropped at the shot…..within seconds we heard the death moan an knew it was done. My wife was filled with emotions, most importantly excitement! Just as I told her we should walk back to get the truck to give the bear a little more time I looked down the road and said “ hey, there is 2 people coming….wait a minute its my buddy chargerman 69 (met on HBC) and his girlfriend”, talk about the best kind of friends that show up when the work starts! Apparently he had a good feeling we were going to get one and had seen my wife lining up on the bear. Well I can’t thanks them enough, the process getting the bear out of the slash, gutting, skinning ect., when a lot quicker with their help!
I am pretty proud of my wife, it was a perfect shot, broken shoulder and both lungs, the 7mm-08 with 140g fusions did the trick…..and my shot….missed!....only one hole in that bear, could have hit a tree as they were pretty thick but never know…..I have a hunting buddy for life now….The boar measured out at 5’6 and had a decent hide on him…the meat is becoming chipotle cheddar smokies an hot pepperonis while the hide in on its way to the tannery. Can’t wait!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Sar_Bear.JPG

monasheemountainman
05-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Awesome story man! congrats to your wife on a great bear!

nolimits
05-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Pretty happy look on your's wife face. Says it all. Congrats to the both of ya.

TheProvider
05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Congrats, great story and pic. NIce to have friends to lend a helping hand and enjoy the celebration

Wrj
05-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice work! Awesome that you and your wife share the same passion for hunting!

05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Great to see your wifes success .

Congrats ........ get some smoked hams they are INCREDIBLE !

CT

weatherbyjunkie
05-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Good for you guys!! thats awesome

Rhyno
05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Fast turn around getting it processed.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/smokies.JPG
Chipotle Cheddar Smokies
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/pepperoni.JPG
Hot Pepperoni

Turned out soooo good! Smokies for dinner tonight with a side of Lucky!

Friday_30-06
05-27-2012, 06:04 PM
That pepperoni is making me hungry! Congrats to your wife on a fine bear.

REMINGTON JIM
05-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Congrats on your wifes first Bear ! :mrgreen: RJ

steelballs
05-27-2012, 07:31 PM
nice bear awesome

Steeleco
05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Talk about fresh eats LOL Good on you Mrs. Rhyno!!

gerrygoat
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Congrats to your wife on her first bear :) Where did you get the sausage made, the Sausage Factory?

ncurrie
05-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Congrats to your wife in her first bear!

bccanadian
05-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Congratulations to your wife. Way to go.:)

kennyj
05-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Congratulations on a fine bear. First of many I'm sure.
kenny

fearnodeer
05-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Enjoyed the story, and yes youo have a hunting buddy for life now, congrats to the both of ya.

05-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Nice work Ryan, i knew it would work. Looks like a decent bear too! Did ya measure it?
Congradulate yer wife on a good job....... You however should gp back to the bench!

srupp
05-28-2012, 03:40 PM
congradulations and WELL DONE..

sTEVEN

fester
05-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Good work!!! Great looking pep

Rhyno
05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks like a decent bear too! Did ya measure it?

Yeah, it's hidden towards the end of my first post.......5'6"

91Jason91
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
nice man fun stuff

moose2
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Congratulations to your wife on getting a nice bear, the sausages from him look good.
Mike