PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Black Bear

TESKELLY
05-26-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm on my first bear hunt right now as I type this and I have a question. I was slowly driving up an fsr in a cut block area and I spooked a bear. He ran off just into the edge of the forest and stopped then I could hear him walking around in there. So my question is will he come back? I've backed off about 150 yards and I'm sitting on a little hill looking down to where I spooked him. I'm going to wait a while and I'll let you know if he did while I await any answers. BTW this hunting thing ROCKS!

Blainer
05-26-2012, 07:47 AM
creatures of habit!
my thoughts are it will return

elkdom
05-26-2012, 07:49 AM
if the wind blows your scent towards him ?? you most likely wont see him anytime soon,,,,

on the other hand ? if he doesn't smell, SEE, or hear you ???

you should see him soon, if there IS something he wants to eat in the immediate area, he will remain feeding there,,,

if HE decides to FEED on YOU ???

please POST some PICTURES,,,,,:mrgreen:

showtime
05-26-2012, 07:49 AM
rabbit in distress call maybe?

TESKELLY
05-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Tried a distress call but my wounded Rabbit sounds like mice in heat lol. Gotta get me one of those distress calls.

bearhunter338-06
05-26-2012, 08:07 AM
****HINT****

"Remember to remove distress call from mouth before shooting rifle"

RENO
05-26-2012, 08:20 AM
I would suggest, use your bino's and locate his position, is it possible to make a stalk on him from your position? he may return? may not ? if he is the bear you want, make the stalk to get in a position to make the right shot, take your time, hope to see some picks soon, good luck, good hunting.

Lozzie
05-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I would suggest moving on, there are lots of bears out there and its easier to catch them off guard rather than waiting for one that you spooked to show up again. By the way if its your first time with bear, look for bears that are uphill from you. Once shot they almost always head downhill and it's easier rolling them downhill then dragging them uphill. Gravity can be your be your best friend or your worst nightmare on any hunt.

nature girl
05-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I have found with bears. They may make a run for it then usually they turn around and just look at you. Leave the area and come back in 1 hour and it will probably be in the same general area. Or just keep road hunting I am sure you will run into alot more.

anglo-saxon
05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
You think it's exciting now? Get in the bush after him.

No, wait. On seconds thoughts...

TheProvider
05-26-2012, 11:21 AM
If he gets your winds its over, most of the time however I find if a bear spooks any other way other than from your scent that will only run a short way. If so alot of time they'll circle to get to scent check you.

TESKELLY
05-26-2012, 11:37 AM
You think it's exciting now? Get in the bush after him.

No, wait. On seconds thoughts...

Thought about that for a second then chickened out. He was a really big bear and I decided I wasn't going into the heavy cover after him.

I backed out 150 yards from the area and sat in my truck to see if he would return but he didn't so I moved on and then only five minutes down the road I ran into 2 black tail does. All in all it was a most excellent first hunt. I have the coordinates so I'll be back very soon :)

nolimits
05-26-2012, 09:42 PM
How far did you go for your bear? If it is not a secret of course ;) . I ended up going to Squamish today but all I saw was bear crap on the road. One area I was really looking to get into had a road washout. So much for my luck.

anglo-saxon
05-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Good for you. We never stop learning.

TESKELLY
05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
How far did you go for your bear? If it is not a secret of course ;) . I ended up going to Squaamish today but all I saw was bear crap on the road. One area I was really looking to get into had a road washout. So much for my luck.

I only had the morning to hunt so I stayed local out here in the Fraser Valley.