PDA

View Full Version : Screwed by the weather

Brambles
11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Well Mulies close on Nov. 10th for me and the weather forcast is Rain and fog until the end, even the high country is getting rain, just got back from getting soaked. Last couple days the fog has been so thick you can't see 40 yards. Full moon is coming so thats bound to mess me up too.

I'll keep at it until the end but I don't have a good feeling about bagging my 165+ mulie this year around home, perhaps I'll have to travel to find a later season to fill my tag:neutral:

This early ending season sucks:frown:

todbartell
11-04-2006, 05:26 PM
well, there is no toads in your backyard anyways. the weather is an omen, to travel to Clearwater!

Gateholio
11-04-2006, 05:31 PM
The big question:

What woudl dana have done?

:lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)

todbartell
11-04-2006, 05:33 PM
he wouldnt be posting on HBC with legal light left ;)

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Same situation here Brambles. I've been watching a group of 12 does with 4 dink bucks for the past few weeks, waiting for the big guy to come in and kick the dinks out. So I go there today to find fog and crunchy snow - the worst conditions! I couldn't see well enough to watch the top of the cut where they are always feeding, and couldn't get near them with the crusty snow. All I did see was a BIG track crossing the lower road during the night, so I know the big buck has moved in.

I agree, this early closure SUCKS. For the biologist to tell me that the populations are at an all time high and then to reaffirm the early closure is a joke. :mad:

Steeleco
11-04-2006, 06:10 PM
What's wrong with this weather?? Down here on the wet coast the Ark is coming along nicely!!!! :lol::lol:

This is after all BC, it may not rain for months but it always seems to catch up when it does.:frown:

Keep at it guys, it ain't over till it over!!!

Marc
11-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I was going to say sounds like typical Island weather. I's been raining here for the past two days and the long term forcast said ditto.

mark
11-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Well Mulies close on Nov. 10th for me and the weather forcast is Rain and fog until the end, even the high country is getting rain, just got back from getting soaked. Last couple days the fog has been so thick you can't see 40 yards. Full moon is coming so thats bound to mess me up too.

I'll keep at it until the end but I don't have a good feeling about bagging my 165+ mulie this year around home, perhaps I'll have to travel to find a later season to fill my tag:neutral:

This early ending season sucks:frown:

Brambles, i couldnt have worded it better myself, i feel exactly the same way around kelowna, last year i was seeing decent bucks every time i hunted, now im lucky to see a lil 2 point once in a while! Sure glad im a bowhunter too.

NightOwl74
11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
The deer around K-town have been watching Criss Angel on A&E. They've vanished! All-time high populations? PFFFFFFFT. I SLOGGED AROUND ALL DAY IN THE SIDEWAYS RAIN AND WIND AND SLOP and all I saw was boot tracks, and some old deer tracks. Again....................PFFFFFFFT:cry:

Brambles
11-04-2006, 07:33 PM
he wouldnt be posting on HBC with legal light left ;)

Yah I know:lol: After my morning/afternoon hunt I took my atv to check out a new road system that was pushed through and it started to rain heavily so after about 30 kms of eye stinging rain and wet balls:cry: I decided to call it a day and have a HOT shower to warm up.

I know Dana wouldn't approve but I wouldn't be able to make a shot if needed being as I was shivering so bad....

Brambles
11-04-2006, 07:36 PM
The deer around K-town have been watching Criss Angel on A&E. They've vanished! All-time high populations? PFFFFFFFT. I SLOGGED AROUND ALL DAY IN THE SIDEWAYS RAIN AND WIND AND SLOP and all I saw was boot tracks, and some old deer tracks. Again....................PFFFFFFFT:cry:

Tell me about it, went out yesteday and tracked a couple does, at the end of the day I was walking back to the truck and there were no less than 6 sets of deer tracks in mine:mad:

The snow today was like walking through wet styrofoam..

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Same conditions for me! Too bad this is my only weekend to chase mulies with the rifle. I guess I'd better stay home tomorrow and practice with the bow.

I did manage to rake and grunt in four does and one small buck. Pretty much the only thing I could do. I did see a tonne of sign though.

SSS

dana
11-04-2006, 08:30 PM
When handed lemons make lemonade. Ain't gonna kill a deer by whinning on the internet now are ya? You guys schoolgirls or what? ;) Do you melt when water hits ya? Pouring rain and fog are great conditions if you ask me. Time for hitting the timber and doing the ol' sneak and peek. Bring the raking antler and practice the ol' burpin. Walk like a deer, don't try to be stealthy. Listen to how much noise deer make in these conditions. I can tell ya they aren't quiet. No need to pound your head against a brick wall trying to be quiet either. If the season ends on the 10th, your in the final quarter with only minutes to spare. Sitting on your ass behind a computer ain't gonna win ya the game.

rollingrock
11-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I've been watching the weather since two days ago and kept checking the weathernetwork. Nothing, always heavy rain everywhere, seems. After lunch today I thought about taking a chance and driving out to my spot hoping that the rain was gonna stop by evening, but I just dismissed this idea when I saw the pouring rain around 1 pm. So I decided to reload some ammo in the basement. By 4:30pm I looked through the window and guess what I saw? Sunshine!

BCrams
11-04-2006, 08:45 PM
forcast is Rain and fog until the end, even the high country is getting rain, just got back from getting soaked.

Things weren't exactly pretty when I saw the big Revelstoke buck over a week ago either and I did not see a single hunter out there ....... they were all at home like you :) But I still went out hunting.

Big bucks especially let their guard down when the weather is at its worse and there are very few, if any hunters out there hunting. Cold rain, fog, snow, etc won't stop me from hunting.

A large part is the mental game to stick it out ........ but eventually it will pay off.

dana
11-04-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd take this rain anyday over clear sunny skies. Have had some el-Nino years where I've been hunting in a tshirt on Dec 10th and was being bombarded by mosquitos. Rain is your friend. If you were hiking instead of riding the quad you probably would have been warm. You get cold and all you have to do is climb a hill and you will be warm again. ;)

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2006, 09:16 PM
I like hunting in the rain, it keeps the animals moving during the day when they get rained on all night. The frozen snow today was the tough hand dealt...I could live with the fog, but walking on cornflakes early in the day wasn't the best for the spot I tried to hunt. I toughed it out in a slashpile with the grunt tube for a couple of hours, but nothing showed.

Later in the day the snow softened up, and I got on a hot HOG track. He was definitely on the prowl, even walking in circles around a willow bush where the does had been feeding earlier. Too bad he knows how safe he is in the overgrown alder hillside. I trailed him a long ways and there was no way he was going up onto the D fir ridge above where I might get a chance to see him. Those big ones are smart!

Soaked to the ass? Yup, but everything's drying by the fire for tomorrow! :wink:

browningboy
11-04-2006, 09:22 PM
The rain is a good thing, it keeps your scent down, it's also noisy to a certain degree so it helps you out when walking on noisy surfaces. I've usally have had success with moose / deer when its raining, it seems to make them move in the bush, or maybey its my big feet making noise thats scaring them away!:lol: Like the others say, you can't get them by looking at this screen!
Good luck8)

Brambles
11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
If you were hiking instead of riding the quad you probably would have been warm. You get cold and all you have to do is climb a hill and you will be warm again. ;)
Seems like you know everything.:roll: I was hiking for most of the day, grunting, walking like a deer, following tracks. Damn near got turned around in the fog and lost my bearings for a couple minutes. The reason I was on my quad is because I needed to punch a road through into my hunting area, I don't have the luxury of the road being graded until the end of the season, like someone eh Dana, so if I want access later I need to start punching tracks now. The snow was deep and heavy, I needed to use 4wd and chains on the quad to get the trail punched in. It was when I was creating trails that my "nutz" got wet, damn ATV seats.:lol:

I hope you forgive me for finishing my hunt a touch early today "ol mighty mulie hunter";)

Tomorrow I'll bring my compass so I don't get turned around in the fog, then I'll stay up on the ridge a little longer, sound good?

Brambles
11-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Like the others say, you can't get them by looking at this screen!

Oh ya, how's the hunting in Langley these days? get out much!! Trust me, I get out in bush more than you think:razz: I just kill some down time on here, just like everyone else..

dana
11-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Dude then what are you complaining about if the snow was deep and heavy? Am I missing something here? Why are the conditions soooo bad that you are screwed? Do you think everyone will feel sorry for you and pat ya on the back and say, "Now Now Dear, it's going to get better." Suck it up and get out hunting. A 165 buck shouldn't be that lofty of a goal in your neck of the woods.

Brambles
11-04-2006, 10:03 PM
So what your saying is, your NOT going to pat me on the back????? :lol:

The area I wanted to hunt requires glassing an old burn from an opposite ridge, can't do that in the fog.

I would like you to reassure me that is going to get better though, ok:wink:

No finding a 165 shouldn't be too hard but finding something before the season ends on the 10th of November WILL be hard. Again, I don't have the luxury, like some, to hunt a Dec 10 Season. The bucks don't even come into the rut buy then.

dana
11-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Now Now Dear, don't be so down on yourself. Things will get better. ;) Sounds like you need to work with the weather not have it work against you. Burns can be great to still hunt. Fog=Still Hunt. No Fog=glass.

browningboy
11-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Ya, ya Brambles, ya lucky dog! I could only wish to live in the interior, but everybody has obligations to fullfill!, and unfortuneatly for me , I only get a couple big trips a year. Good Luck, the only hunting in Langley is the 2 legged version:twisted:

Ubertuber
11-05-2006, 12:30 AM
... You get cold and all you have to do is climb a hill and you will be warm again. The control you have over your own body temperature is one of the bonuses of hiking. Too warm? ...have a sit. Too cold? ...Head to the top of the hill.

I like hunting in the rain. Dress you have to do is for it and you're good to go.