PDA

View Full Version : NWT hunt questions

WaderGator
05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Thinking of doing a hunt up in the good ol' NWT. For the guys who have done hunts up there just a few questions... What did you end up hunting? How much did it end up costing and how was that broken down (transport, outfitter,lodging)? What town did you end up flying in and out of? how long did you go for? anything you would have done differently? anything else you could add would be helpful

jrjonesy
05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Remember you have to have a guide to hunt in the NWT, so that will be the greatest part of your expense. I went for Caribou in 2004....drove to edmonton and flew out of there. Landed in Yellowknife and flew via our outfitter from there. Your costs are fairly easy to determine on the internet. Check out flight costs and hotels costs. On a 5 day hunt you also have to plan to get there a day early and leave a day after....just in case of weather delays, so you have to consider this for hotel costs. Also remember to consider tips for guides and any new equipment you may need to purchase.

WaderGator
05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I should add that Ive worked on the mackenzie river for the last 5 summers so I'm pretty familiar with a bunch of the towns and could probably find a couch to crash on if I had to. Was thinking of going out of Inuvik or Norman Wells

bearhunter338-06
05-24-2012, 04:41 PM
What about hunting with a host/resident of the N.W.T.

WaderGator
05-24-2012, 05:14 PM

That's kind of what I'm looking at. it's my understanding that I need to be accompanied by a licensed outfitter. I have one former co-worker who is one but he's in the wrong area and most likely will be working when I would hoping to go up there. I haven't really reached out to my connections in Norman Wells or Inuvik yet as this whole plan is still a ways away from happening. never hurts to start dreaming....I mean planning early

just hunt
05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Don't for get to get laid before ya go i hear its pretty lucky กกก

The Hermit
05-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I worked for GSC outside of Norman Wells for a summer about thirty miles west on the Canol Rd. Never seen so many bears in one place in my life! Also lived in Fort Smith (near Wood Buffalo Nat Park) and in YK for a couple years. One piece of advise... take your fishing rod!!! You are going to have a blast!

WaderGator
05-24-2012, 09:13 PM
JH - Getting laid before heading to the NWT is definitely luckier than getting laid up there.....i speak from experience :S haha

Hermit - Everyone in Norman Wells knows the best bear viewing is in the dump which oddly enough is also where the locals go park for backseat shenanigans. I know what youre talking about when you talk about the fishing. I had the opportunity to do some work up the east arm of Great Slave Lake in Lutsel'ke. Our trip up there usually entailed tying the tug and tow up along some island in the middle of nowhere and taking the work boats out for some beer drinking and fishing. Caught some pretty monstrous trout and almost always had a fish on as soon the hook hit the water. Never hit Fort Smith but spent A LOT of time in Hay River.

Eastbranch
05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
No outfitted hunting out of Inuvik. No hunter host or family options. Wouldn't be surprised if you found someone willing to take you down the highway in sept for caribou out of Inuvik but it would be illegal. I don't know what the situation is around YK but it seems like their caribou herds are in the tank so you're stuck with the Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters and they are expensive. Pretty much, if you want to hunt up here you have to pay your money or put your time in to become a resident. The cheapest option would probably be a caribou fly in out of YK if you could find an outfitter that still has tags?

sheephunterab
05-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Sadly not an option for big game in NWT.