PDA

View Full Version : Ashanola sheep draw

rides bike to work
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
After seeing countless threads on amazing sheep hunts I've decided to take a dip in to the high mountain hunt. I've been training hard hiking and running actually lost 25 pounds in the process. I don't have the funds to do one of these northern fly in hunts so me and my dad both through our hat in the ashanola 3/4 curl draw for September . My dad has hunted the area a little in the past but never for sheep could anyone who has done this hunt before give me a heads up of what to expect.is there vehicle access before the hike or should I borrow a quad . I'm feelin pretty lucky this year even got laid the other night so if things keep goin this way I should be sheep hunting in no time. Thanks in advance

WaderGator
05-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm feelin pretty lucky this year even got laid the other night

Had to read that about 5 times to make sure I read it right......congrats

05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Did you pick the first hunt? Crater Side?

steel_ram
05-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't get to excited until you get the draw. Congrats on getting lucky at least once this year. Pics?

lovemywinchester
05-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm feelin pretty lucky this year even got laid the other night
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I put in for the Kamloops sheep draw, pretty much a quaranteed win for me. Hope you get the draw.

05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
ok so whats the deal with the Kamloops sheep 988.0:1 WTF? why is it so saught after?

lovemywinchester
05-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Leave at 9. Shoot sheep and home by lunch.

05-24-2012, 03:51 PM
ahhhhhh lots sa sheep there

frenchbar
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM
ok so whats the deal with the Kamloops sheep 988.0:1 WTF? why is it so saught after?
cause your basically guarenteed a BIG ram....

05-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I guess next year the odds may be 989:1

scoutlt1
05-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I put in for the Kamloops sheep draw, pretty much a quaranteed win for me. Hope you get the draw.

OK now that was funny!! :-)

SHAKER
05-24-2012, 07:54 PM
My dad hasn't pulled a tag yet since it's started.... so keep plug'n away, it' might be awhile before you actually pull a tag. If you pull one ( tag I mean) it's really hit or miss unless you know where or really get lucky.

rides bike to work
05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
1st choice a 2nd choice b there must be someone on here who has drawn this tag?

MattB
05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
The ashnola has small sheep, tiny tiny rams if you've ever seen one someone has taken. Kam lake odds are way higher as there are bigger rams and a lot more of them!

dmace
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Had this draw twice now. Got lucky the first time , hi light from the second trip was meeting a couple other HBC,ers ! Vehicle access is yes but restricted . Well it's supposed to be restricted , pretty frustating having quads rip by you when your hoofin it . I've got some good info for ya . Pm me if you get the draw !
Dean

bighornbob
05-24-2012, 10:41 PM

You wanted to know what to expect?? It's sheep hunting so you will be doing lots of glassing and seeing low numbers of rams if any. Depending on which draw you get will depend on where the rams are. If you have the first draw the rams might be high in the alpine depending on the amount of summer activity. If not the rams most likely will be down in the timber which will make finding them tougher.

If it's a hot dry summer there will most likely be forest fires in the area or Washington which may put smoke into the area which makes glassing for rams tough if not impossible.

Don't have maps in front of me so don't know which is A and B but only concentrate on your first choice as there is zero chance of getting your second choice with first choice odds never being lower then 5:1.

The southern zone can be accessed by a truck on the main road then hiking a day just to get into sheep country. No need for a quad. The northern zone can also be accessed by a truck. There are two roads that access the high country and a truck can be used there too. If there were no road restrictions a quad could get you right to the top but since there is, you won't need a quad.

As Matt said the rams are on the smaller side and it can be a tough hunt. I know more then one guy that has gone in there and not seen a ram in the week long hunt. Know others that have gone in there and been successful. I think your success will be dictated more on your sheep hunting skill (glassing skills and knowing your prey, being in shape) then someone putting an X on map.

BHB

silvertipp
05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
If your planning on useing a qaud or hikeing "A" is a the tag you want
B is alot better if you have horses ,or plan on a long hike ,there is rams in both areas
definately put in for the first hunt as they start to hit the timber after the pressure gets on them
I have been drawn for both areas and pulled one decent ram out

The Dude
05-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Had this draw twice now. Got lucky the first time , hi light from the second trip was meeting a couple other HBC,ers ! Vehicle access is yes but restricted . Well it's supposed to be restricted , pretty frustating having quads rip by you when your hoofin it . I've got some good info for ya . Pm me if you get the draw !
Dean
I heard about those guys. Charming and handsome, but they drank all your beer....that sound right?
Like DM said, people don't respect the no vehicle restrictions there. My buddy and I walked all over that damn mountain, then off it into the thick stuff to get scratched up, and never saw one ram. We had the last, or second last draw, I recall, and by then the yahoos with quads have scared them all into the next County.....or South to the next Country. Plus the year we had it there were slob "hunters" that camped up top (with quads), and didn't feel like hauling out their tarps and broken lawn chairs, so they just burned it all in a big heap, shit everywhere out in the open, and left it.
Don't wanna rain on your parade, but I wouldn't ever put in for that one again. Might try the first draw though, before the nimrods get there.
Try goats. You can get a GOS, or a low odds LEH, and you don't have to travel far. Then you can save up for a Northern Sheep Hunt. :D

fireguy
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
week long solo backpack trip, got really cold one day and stayed in the tent, found a cabin way down south and stayed there one night when I got to far from my tent, but had an amazing hunt, only saw one guy in the whole week, he was on his way out when I was going in.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/fireguy4/sheep1aac.jpg

rides bike to work
05-25-2012, 07:13 AM
That's a beauty ram. Thanks for all the tips I'm looking forward to me first sheep hunt . My dad is as well after years of being strictly a deer hunter he retired from the post office this year and is starting to broaden his horizons last year brought him on a elk then moose hunt both were successes. He was hesitant about sheep but since we put in for the draw it's all we talk about he even trains with me putting the grandson in the back pack and hocking up the mountains behind his house.

fireguy
05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
That's a beauty ram. Thanks for all the tips I'm looking forward to me first sheep hunt . My dad is as well after years of being strictly a deer hunter he retired from the post office this year and is starting to broaden his horizons last year brought him on a elk then moose hunt both were successes. He was hesitant about sheep but since we put in for the draw it's all we talk about he even trains with me putting the grandson in the back pack and hocking up the mountains behind his house.

Even if you don't get the draw there are places that are GOS and you don't need a plane to go sheep hunting. My first stone sheep hunt cost me I think $700 for the week, gas/food/tag included, mind you gas was only 60 cents a liter back then but the point is you can get there for a very reasonable ammount.

bighornbob
05-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Sounds like you guys are pumped for a sheep hunt. If you are serious about it, forget the LEH (bonus if you do get it but dont base your fall plans on it) and hunt the the general open areas in Spences Bridge (3-17) and along the Fraser (3-31 and 3-32).

I meet far too many guys that wish they could sheep hunt but complain they never get drawn yet they never hunt the GOS areas. And when they do get drawn they assume its a guarentee and reality slaps them in the face. You guys have worked far too hard getting into shape to be disappointed by the LEH gods. Regardless of the draw plan a weekend hunt in one of the areas I mentioned above, can easily be done on a tank of gas.

BHB

Blair
05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Ya gotta love the excitement and optimism

GoatGuy
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
The ashnola has small sheep, tiny tiny rams if you've ever seen one someone has taken. Kam lake odds are way higher as there are bigger rams and a lot more of them!

I can guess where you've been hanging out.

One-shot has a pretty nice ashnola cali hanging on his wall. 11 or 12 yrs old, broomed right back, 150 something.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I can guess where you've been hanging out.

One-shot has a pretty nice ashnola cali hanging on his wall. 11 or 12 yrs old, broomed right back, 150 something.

Yes, cool character old ram but not many guys with the Kammy draw would even look at a 150" ram.
Everyone should put in for Kamloops lake.

SSS

GoatGuy
05-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes, cool character old ram but not many guys with the Kammy draw would even look at a 150" ram.
Everyone should put in for Kamloops lake.

SSS

hahaha, guess it's all perspective

Stone Sheep Steve
05-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds like you guys are pumped for a sheep hunt. If you are serious about it, forget the LEH (bonus if you do get it but dont base your fall plans on it) and hunt the the general open areas in Spences Bridge (3-17) and along the Fraser (3-31 and 3-32).

I meet far too many guys that wish they could sheep hunt but complain they never get drawn yet they never hunt the GOS areas. And when they do get drawn they assume its a guarentee and reality slaps them in the face. You guys have worked far too hard getting into shape to be disappointed by the LEH gods. Regardless of the draw plan a weekend hunt in one of the areas I mentioned above, can easily be done on a tank of gas.

BHB

Hmmmm...this info sounds familiar. I think I recall reading this in BCO a few yrs ago. Obviously plaigerized;-)
You must be hanging around Jelvis since moving to Kammy.:-D

SSS

steel_ram
05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Not everyone that gets the coveted Kamloops sheep draw get their ram. No guarantees.

bighornbob
05-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Not everyone that gets the coveted Kamloops sheep draw get their ram. No guarantees.

Its as close to a guarantee as there is in sheep hunting. If you know what you are doing and can judge and age sheep you should be able to pull a 10 year old 180 ram out of there. If you have no clue and have never sheep hunted before you will probably shoot a slightly broomed 5 year old 3/4 curl. Both are trophies to the shooters.

I applied for the Kamloops Lake draw this year for the first time ever. Hopefully I will have beginners luck on my side. If I am drawn I will take Jelvis along as he knows so much about hunting the Kamloops area.:roll:

BHB

steel_ram
05-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Depends on what your willing to hold out for, what side of the boundary the sheep you want is on, and how much time you have.

bighornbob
05-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Depends on what your willing to hold out for.

True, but why apply for the Kamloops tag if you are not willing to hold out for a 180 class ram and hunt a few weeks. If you are willing to shoot a 5 year old 3/4 curl that might break 150, why not apply in one of the units along the Fraser. The odds there are 40 or 50:1, so about 20 times more likely to draw there then you are at Kamloops Lake. And the chances of getting a ram are just a good.

BHB

blackbart
05-25-2012, 10:33 PM
In the most current edition of the "Big Game Records of BC" book there are only seven California Bighorns listed that are over 180". Out of these seven ram there are two from the Kamloops Lake herd. Near as I can figure the biggest listed from the Ashnola herd is a bit over 173".

Lots of GOS area rams in the top bunch - the top three.

GOS sheep hunting in BC is the BEST in the world. You DO NOT need an LEH to have a legit chance at a cranker Bighorn, Stone's or Cali.

Give it a try, you won't regret it. The physical and emotional stress just makes it better - provided your relationship can handle it!

btw
Does anyone know if Romeo Leduc was ever hooked up to anything besides a backpack??