PDA

View Full Version : Wolves in Kelowna?

phoenix
11-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi All,
I was hunting up Bata FSR (Kelowna) yesterday in an area that I had seen a lot of deer in earlier this season. I thought with the fresh snow I would find a fair amount of tracks and see a few deer but I didn't! I saw 4 or 5 sets of deer tracks all running and all with some other tracks nearby. My hand is 7". I didn't know we had wolves here, I've never seen their signs in this area.
Kim

phoenix
11-04-2006, 12:27 PM
How do you post more pictures? When I try it says I am exceeding my quota but I only have three small pictures in two threads.
Kim

NightOwl74
11-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Wow what a coincidence! I too live in Kelowna, and I too saw a wolf track, just a single one in the mud, up near McCulloch lake. Is there wolves out here? I know it was a wolf because I took pictures of lots of wolf tracks this year while Whitey hunting near Edson, Alberta this year. So I know what they look like. Great post! I wanna know if there is too!

NightOwl74
11-04-2006, 01:33 PM
But honestly, the track in your Avatar whould be a small one!

4pntsorbetter
11-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't know about Kelowna' but I tracked a Wolf and her cub for about 2 miles last week in Princeton8)

jackson13
11-04-2006, 02:50 PM
I saw the exact same tracks in the Mt. Baldy area this morning. Same size and shape!

Will
11-04-2006, 02:51 PM
If you have Pics of the "Rear" paw print they are quite different on Yotes then Wolves:wink:

todbartell
11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't know about Kelowna' but I tracked a Wolf and her cub for about 2 miles last week in Princeton8)

is this the jungle book? Wolves dont have cubs

troutseeker
11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I jut love Kipling! And I want to shoot the Kelowna wolves. Tonight I'm gonna go see the Cougars Vs the Rockets, no shooting allowed said my wife:frown:

Gunner
11-04-2006, 04:56 PM
I saw 2 sets of wolf tracks on my favorite ridge,just out of Falkland last week.No deer on the ridge at all,those we saw were in the farm fields at the bottom of the hill.The tracks dwarfed the ever-present yote prints.I think I'll take the predator call tomorrow.Gunner

BlacktailStalker
11-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Probably lotsa cougars in the crowd though troutseeker ;)

mrdoog
11-04-2006, 07:09 PM
"is this the jungle book? Wolves dont have cubs"

-too funny

Bigbuckadams
11-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Had one up on my buddy's ranch between Kelowna & Vernon, saw him/her a few times over the past few years. Heard the howling as well, very cool, but we haven't seen it or any tracks since about May. Dunno if it has died off or just moved on.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2006, 08:18 PM
There were 14 spotted JUST behind Peachland two years ago. Just a matter of time before they're everywhere.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I saw a wolf last fall in Trapping Creek. I've also seen tracks on the Westside. SSS that's interesting to hear about a pack of wolves in Peachland, I hope they don't clean out our moose.

I would expect that up Bata FSR you may be seeing some big dogs' prints from the subdivision chasing the deer around. They should get a bullet if they are. It's not inconceivable that they are wolf tracks, but I'll put my money on rogue dogs.

phoenix
11-05-2006, 12:24 PM
They're not domestic dogs unless there is a pack of mastiffs on the loose. I live on Farmers Dr. about 2-3 miles below where I found these tracks. There are only 2 houses between mine and the tracks and although 2 dogs from up there do chase deer, if I catch them they won't anymore haha, I know their tracks and they are way smaller. I am going to go up tomorrow and put a couple of game cams out and maybe a little "bait" and see if I can get a pic or 2.
Kim

WoodOx
11-05-2006, 12:46 PM
SSS - ive meant to ask before, where did you hunt that massive caribou?

300H&H
11-05-2006, 01:59 PM
While hunting a cut blk. Sept. 10 & 11 , 2004 at the base of Big White ski hill ; Dad & I heard wolves howl just as it was getting light enough to shoot. The cows sure got spooked & started to run. This was a first for me & they sound so different than yoddies. Dad & others I spoken with have seen them in the Christian Vly. between Westbridge & Barth Cr.

bsa30-06
11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
SSS - ive meant to ask before, where did you hunt that massive caribou?

I was wondering the same thing, it's huge.

NightOwl74
11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Serously, I think that is a dog. I took a pics of wolf tracks in Alberta and they DWARFED my 308 shell. They were nearly as large as my hand and I am 6'1 200 lbs. Besides Bata is way too close to town. Wolves are smarter than that! It's a German Shephard my guess.

phoenix
11-05-2006, 03:33 PM
NightOwl, look at the first picture, that is my hand in there which measures 7" in real life. The track is at least 6" long, my 100lb labs track is only 3.5" to 4" long, those tracks are HUGE!!!
Kim

troutseeker
11-05-2006, 10:55 PM
I was up there today beating bush, a little farther by James lake. I saw wolf tracks as well... Can't wait to plug one!

Troutseeker

overthetop
11-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Shot at one near merrit. They move fast!

NightOwl74
11-06-2006, 02:26 AM
I gotta get some pictures developed:)

Stone Sheep Steve
11-06-2006, 05:08 AM
I was up there today beating bush, a little farther by James lake. I saw wolf tracks as well... Can't wait to plug one!

Troutseeker

There's no wolf season in Reg 8.

SSS

phoenix
11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
troutseeker,
That was my first thought also but SSS is correct, No Season, damn!

boxhitch
11-06-2006, 10:29 AM
There's no wolf season in Reg 8.

SSS
Practice the Three esses.
Get together with your respective clubs, and get a Resolution in to the BCWF, and lets get this opened up. I bet the only reason there is no season, is because it has not been an issue in the past. The pop. appears to be rising. More reaasons to hunt predators in the dark months.

bckev
11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Wolves have been around for a long time, not in great numbers. I saw a pack of wolves above Penticton over twenty years ago. I also saw grizzly tracks then, and the conservation guys were saying there weren't any around here. Now there are grizzlies in downtown naramata (usually at the pub in the table in the corner drinking shirly temples). It is nice to see some of these types of critters showing up I just hope that we don't get too many.

troutseeker
11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
8-) Damn that's a big coyote...

NightOwl74
11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
yep, not a wolf. Too close to town. I saw a lone Black one in Alberta that winded me 300 yds away......gone like a bolt. Not on Bata.....No way!

longhairmtnman
11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Yep. Was up Baldy this weekend. Saw fresh wolf tracks in the snow. Not just one, but at least two together. They do exist. What really surprised me was the amount of moose sign.

browningboy
11-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Seems like with the warmer winters, the survival rates are up with the ungulates so in turn the wolves are starting to flourish.

358mag
11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
3. Belittling or Racist comments of any kind on HuntingBC.ca will not be tolerated

>

Smarten up.......
Gatehouse

but how do you tell the diff between a coyote and a wolf ?? or do you just have to ground check them ??

Nosferatu
11-09-2006, 09:20 PM
< the reason why ?? our fine First nation lazy ass native's dont want them shoot !!! > I'm new to this board, are these types of racist statements tolerated here? If so it looks like I'm in the wrong place.

todbartell
11-09-2006, 11:02 PM
yeah thats not called for

btw, if you cant tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf, you better hand in your license, cuz you shouldnt of gotten it in the first place

Will
11-10-2006, 08:37 PM
but how do you tell the diff between a coyote and a wolf ?? or do you just have to ground check them ??
Well........I havn't seen a Dead one on the Ground in quite sometime...:oops:

So I can't help with the "Ground check" :lol: :lol:

But the Tracks are easily distinguished between the two.....
Yotes have a smaller rear Paw then the front, the large pad(?) is shaped differently on the rear as well.

Wolves paws are basically the same front and rear and generally much larger then yotes :wink:

Fisher-Dude
11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
But the Tracks are easily distinguished between the two.....
Yotes have a smaller rear Paw then the front, the large pad(?) is shaped differently on the rear as well.

Wolves paws are basically the same front and rear and generally much larger then yotes :wink:

Maybe it's a hybrid! :lol:

On that note, see ya in a few days, I'm goin' HUNTIN'! :tongue:

Will
11-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe it's a hybrid! :lol:

On that note, see ya in a few days, I'm goin' HUNTIN'! :tongue:
LMAO !
Yeepeee ! The Long weekend is here ! I'm going for my Muley, just bought my Tag last week :lol:

Good Luck to All and Don't forget to REMEMBER our Troops ! 8)

NightOwl74
11-23-2006, 03:23 AM
yep, not a wolf. Too close to town. I saw a lone Black one in Alberta that winded me 300 yds away......gone like a bolt. Not on Bata.....No way! i APOLOGIZE AND STAND CORRECTED! I TOO SAW WOLF TRACKS MYSELF , a couple clicks past Doreen lake near Kelowna. I was very surprised, buddy was tryin to tell me they were cougar. Not! 8-)

bad arrow
11-23-2006, 08:05 AM
I see wolves and there sign everywhere in the ok now, just wait till it snows more then go to the lower edge of the snowline when the deer are all packed up and see what they can do, there's a very liberal season in region 3. No mistaking a wolf track, its about 5 times the size of a yote track generally.
bad arrow

dave_fras
11-23-2006, 09:33 AM
my dad and grandpa saw 3 wovles at the tops of bald range and 20 years ago.... i think i still have the pics around here somewhere

Fisher-Dude
11-24-2006, 08:14 AM
i APOLOGIZE AND STAND CORRECTED! I TOO SAW WOLF TRACKS MYSELF , a couple clicks past Doreen lake near Kelowna. I was very surprised, buddy was tryin to tell me they were cougar. Not! 8-)

That area has a heavy lynx population. Any chance that's what you were seeing? Any cougars that were in that area have probably followed the deer down to the rutting areas.

NightOwl74
11-25-2006, 03:46 AM
Nope it was a Wolf. I could see the nail inpressions in the snow. Cougars walk with claws retracted...............and besides, they look nothing alike and I have seen lynx and bobcat tracks as well and they don't look anything like a wolf track.