PDA

View Full Version : experimenting with varios arrow combos..

afflicted 1
05-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Tried some 60 yard shooting last few days, one day in consistent cross wind around 7-10 mph. 62lb centroid, arrows used were axis 340s with standard 19gr insert and some with 50gr brass inserts approx 15% foc on brass ones. Finished weights 412 and 443. Also CE maxima hunters
finished @ 360 grns. Fletched with blazers and 2.78" AAEs various degrees of offset and also tried helical on both. I instantly noticed how much louder the light sticks were and cross winds cost me consistancy for sure. The light shafts saved a whole pin gap over both axis arrows but penetration was substantially less as expected, you can even hear the axis hit harder. The difference in drop between the standard and brass insert axis was minimal but no doubt the grouping was better with higher foc, this could be because the bow liked the softer spine with those inserts but I'm not going to get that tech for this small none pro test. After trying with varios offset and helical I settled on 2 deg offset with the longer lower profile AAEs, the small dia axis don't do well for me with helical. Keep in mind I was shooting field points, broadheads would no doubt change things. I guess my conclusion is I will be sticking with the heavier axis I think the lower speeds add forgivness and they hit hard. Not the cheapest but I also love their durability. I think overall heavier arrows are move forgiving with fixed blades and a better bet on thicker game, the centroid makes the guy at the controls look bad thats one thing I do know for sure. :)

Bow Walker
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Interesting experiment. Sure opens your eyes when you play around like that, doesn't it?

Generally speaking - arrows with a bigger FOC do fly noticeably better than ones with the average FOC. That's why manufacturers came out with shafts that were "weight-forward" in design. It stabilizes the arrow quicker, adds crucial mass for penetration, and enhances the over all flight characteristics (parabolics?) of the arrow.

2 inch Blazers (my vane of choice) are pretty stiff and can be a bit tricky when trying to get a good seat/seal onto the shaft. Trying for a helical vane using short Blazers on a slim shaft is an exercise in frustration to be sure. I stopped trying and went to an offset fletch a few years ago, and like you I noticed a couple benefits right off the bat.

First - it was a lot easier to fletch the arrows simply because the short fletch sat better and didn't have to try and flex through the helical bend nor stay flexed against its natural tendency to straighten back out.

Second - the fletching stays glued to the shafts much better with the offset. It is easier to get the whole length of the cupped base seated and sealed firmly onto the shaft without any twist or tilt.

Couple those two benefits with a dab of glue on the forward end of the fletching and you got yourself one tough arrow that takes a lot of punishment to the fletching - as happens when hunting and the arrow passes through the animal getting beat up by tough tissue and broken bones.

If you make sure your hunting arrows spin true - using a spin tester/inspector - your broadheads should be flying with your field tips. Shorter, wider broadheads with skeletonized or open designed blades will also improve the flight of your hunting arrows.

bugler
05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
The true test is how they fly with your fixed blade broadhead of choice attached. Don't completely commit to a specific combo until you've tested that.

I am with you on the choice to go with the heavier arrows, for all the reasons you stated.