PDA

View Full Version : How to tell bear's 2 or better?

Walkntalk
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
OK, I know that I've seen the answers To this before, but can't be sure and appologize for repeating old questions. I did a few searches and couldn't find the answers.

I'm new to hunting and have been out 2 springs now for bear, but without connecting. I've had a few chances, but haven't pull the trigger because I wasn't SURE of the bear's age. These signs I have looked for and seen:
- bear is alone
- lack of narrow, angular face / muzzle with ears close together
- did not appear to be all legs and gangly
- did not appear to move quickly and dart around nervously
- bellies that hung a little lower

I've also heard you ol' boys talkin about ground shrinkage and wonder if I am expecting too big a target. If anything, I am mis-judging the bears to be younger than they are and then NOT taking the shot. I am happy with this cause I know I'm not taking a youngster for sure.

But, I also don't want to miss out and am seeing some nice bears posted in threads that look even smaller than those that I am passing up.

So, the question is ... How DO you tell the bear's age?

I think I remember a post saying that if they are alone, then they are 2 or better. Is that right?

Thanks for the help.

WnT

The Dawg
05-23-2012, 12:59 PM
You've pretty much got my criteria right there.

When its a big bear, you will know immediately. Take that shot. :)

Foxton Gundogs
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
The big ones are no problem like ND says when they are big you know it. The rough ones is when u r looking for that in-be-tweener the one that is going to give you fantastic meat but not be to small either. look long and hard on the "meat bears"

05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
look at the bear here in PG66's video
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?82353-Follow-the-Pemby-bear-hunt-Part-2&highlight=pemberton

look how it walks and how it looks. This is a big bear. Though you can shoot smaller then this one, but it will show you what your gaming for.

NaStY
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting a younger bear either. A 2 year old and older are fair game. In fact they say the younger ones taste better. Just try to avoid a cub and or a sow. Once you shoot one of those medium bears you keep seeing, you will have a better idea what big looks like......

Walkntalk
05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Yep, I'd seen pg66's video. I'd love to throw that rug on the floor! It's more a question of how to tell the in between meat bears for me. Maybe an experience only thing as some are pointing out here.

Still wondering if the "I think I remember a post saying that if they are alone, then they are 2 or better. Is that right?" question holds true, or if it's a ... sometimes yes ... sometimes no kinda thing.

I'd seen piles of scat from a real PIG, with a capital PIG, but never saw the beast itself. I also saw a couple of real bruiser's from glassing across the valley, but after hoofin a couple of km or so to get there, I'd lost them and then could only track the trail so far before I lost it.

Thanks to all for the help.

Skull Hunter
05-24-2012, 07:44 AM
If they're alone you're safe to shoot. The 2 year old rule is pretty much there to keep people from shooting 1-2 year old cubs that are still with their Mother. Just remember those cubs can hide pretty well, so spend a good amount of time to make sure the bear is truly alone, don't forget to look up into the trees for cubs.

boxhitch
05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Generally is one of those rules Nature usually follows.
Generally cubs are on solid food within the first summer and are self sufficient, but dumb.
Generally a cub will be with the sow during the second winter, generally leaving for its own during the second spring or summer, sometimes sticking around for the third winter.
But never say never, concerning nature

05-24-2012, 08:26 AM
It's more a question of how to tell the in between meat bears for me. Maybe an experience only thing as some are pointing out here.

Still wondering if the "I think I remember a post saying that if they are alone, then they are 2 or better. Is that right?" question holds true, or if it's a ... sometimes yes ... sometimes no kinda thing.

Experiance really is about the only way. I guess you dont have an experianced bear looker at'er to go with you. It takes time, watching and unfortunaly passing on shooters. I was watching Shockey last night and one thing his guide said stuck out "You really need to be 50 yds to really judge a big bear" now they are talking big bear but i bet it would hold true for you too. If they are alone you can pretty much bet it is 2 or more. The biggest thing is to make sure it is alone. look at them for a while.

Bow Walker
05-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Lots of good advice posted above. THE biggest thing to watch for is the bear being alone. I'd hate to shoot a mother while she's still "nursing".

After that - I'd watch for the head to be large and round with the ears wide apart.

You've got (and seem to be practicing) the right criteria - you just need to shoot one to get a real up-close-and-personal look.

The first one will never be as big as you hoped for (generally speaking) but get as big a one as you can and then go from there.

warnniklz
05-25-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?82551-Spring-Bear-Hunting-2012

Post #4 has a picture of a black bear that I seen this afternoon. He's about 3 - 4 years old. Perfectly good shooter for anyone looking for a meat bear or their first. Hope this helps a little.

Walkntalk
05-25-2012, 02:41 PM
BINGO! These posts help a LOT! Thanks gents! I am quite sure that I have passed on a few shooters now. I'm good with that, though, cause I wasn't sure at the time.

If I haven't been able to watch them for about 30 min's or so, and make sure that they are alone, I haven't even considered a shot. This also means that I now know my scouted spots are golden and hold decent to very mature bears.

Thanks again for all of the help! Hopefully I can help others the same way down the road.

WnT

05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Help others if you like but youd damn well better post a pic!!!! :)

warnniklz
05-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Once you get a little more experience you'll be able to spot the difference a little easier. Seen a boar today. Was pretty sure it was a boar (my dad was sure as well). Could have taken him. However He was standing on the road and kept looking into the timber. Wasn't sure if it was looking at another bear or cubs or just trying to get a better look at us.So I passed on the shot. We moved in closer to get a better look, however he spooked and didn't get a shot. I'm not heartbroken at all. As I've passed on several bears this week.

Bow Walker
05-25-2012, 05:24 PM
BINGO! These posts help a LOT! Thanks gents! I am quite sure that I have passed on a few shooters now. I'm good with that, though, cause I wasn't sure at the time.

If I haven't been able to watch them for about 30 min's or so, and make sure that they are alone, I haven't even considered a shot. This also means that I now know my scouted spots are golden and hold decent to very mature bears.

Thanks again for all of the help! Hopefully I can help others the same way down the road.

WnT

Hey man - helping others to enjoy the outdoors and maybe get some meat is what we're all about around here.....

MRP
05-26-2012, 10:00 PM
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=librarycollections.multimedia
8th one down, titled "Take a Closer Look" seen it long time ago at a BCWF bear banquet.

Walkntalk
05-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Nice, can't watch on my iPhone, but will settle in with the PC in a bit & check it out. Thanks!

bccanadian
05-27-2012, 07:14 AM
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=librarycollections.multimedia
8th one down, titled "Take a Closer Look" seen it long time ago at a BCWF bear banquet.

Excellent video and the video on moose is a good one as well.

The Dude
05-27-2012, 07:16 AM
One of the many areas i hunt has this guy pooping all over the place.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/SDC12934.jpg

I'm 6' tall with pretty large hands, so for a black bear this is pretty big. If I ever find this guy, it's game over.
A big bear, you just don't have to ask. They look like they have tiny ears and short fur, and swallowed a wine barrel.
Otherwise, if you are SURE it's alone, seems decent sized, and is NOWHERE NEAR a salmon spawning stream in the fall, have at 'er.
(Once you try a fish bear, you lose all interest, so don't do it)

warnniklz
05-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Not sure when or where you found that Dude... I haven't seen any beries out yet. But by the looks of the berries in the pooh, I'd say that pile is from last fall...

That being said... I never knew they stacked politicians that big