05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank you BC LIEberals!!! NOT!!

http://www.theprovince.com/news/information+farm+outbreaks/6657194/story.html

Complete & Utter Bullshit! :evil:

Ticked!
Nog

tbocking
05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I cant believe what this provincial and the federal governments are doing nowadays. And as Canadians we will just accept it good for the students in Quebec for standing up for what they believe in.

Ozone
05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Maybe you can explain how you got fish farm from the article when it doesnt have the word fish in it?

f350ps
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Maybe you can explain how you got fish farm from the article when it doesnt have the word fish in it?
As much as I dislike fish farms I gotta agree, the only words I picked outta that was animals and birds. K

scoutlt1
05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't agree with this necessarily, but keep in mind that the "responsibility" for fish farms was handed over to the feds in 2010. (of course, these are the same people that we trust with our salmon stocks and did such a wonderful job with the atlantic cod fishery).
That being said, information regarding firsh farms can still be obtained from the feds via the FOIA.
Apparently the "thinking" behind this is that would be less likely to have animals tested if the results are available to the public. Same "theory" as the chances of you going to the doctor if you think you may have a communicable diseaseare a lot less if you knew that your employer could have access to that info.
Again, I don't necessarily like the idea, but throwing a few things out there.

scoutlt1
05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't agree with this necessarily, but keep in mind that the "responsibility" for fish farms was handed over to the feds in 2010. (of course, these are the same people that we trust with our salmon stocks and did such a wonderful job with the atlantic cod fishery).
That being said, information regarding fish farms can still be obtained from the feds via the FOIA.
Apparently the "thinking" behind this is that (...sorry....should have added....) Farmers would be less likely to have animals tested if the results are available to the public. Same "theory" as the chances of you going to the doctor if you think you may have a communicable disease are a lot less if you knew that your employer could have access to that info.
Again, I don't necessarily like the idea, but throwing a few things out there.

hate it when I forget to check a post first! lol

Whonnock Boy
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Pffft! We all know damn well that this is legislation is directed at the farming of fish.

Jagermeister
05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't like the idea that they are protecting the potential of a contaminated food supply.

SUAFOYT
05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Making information about diseases on British Columbia farms secret will better protect the public, said Agriculture Minister Don McRae.

Great logic. These guys have totally lost the last shreds of credibility they might have had. They can't see the forest for the sleaze.

Island Idiots
05-23-2012, 09:07 AM
It should be clear to just about everyone that both our Provincial and Federal governments are working for corporations, and not the people. It's time that the rest of the country took a closer look at what is happening in Quebec with the students protest and legislation.
It may be that the youth will lead us to take back what is rightfully ours, from the crooks in Victoria and Ottawa.
When a government no longer represents its people, and uses legislation to protect that reality, citizens must
say enough is enough and remove the criminals from power, using what ever means necessary to bring about change.
A lttle "Arab Spring" in Canada is long overdue.

RENO
05-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Fish no fish birds what ever???? This is about keeping info or the disclosing of it to the public and stopping us from being informed.
Let us not forget and especially the GOVERNMENT , that they work for us ! It's time for Canadians to speak up and stand up in this country,
these people in office are filling their pockets, and securing their pensions and doing what ever they want, and we sit back , taking it, now they will
inform us if they WANT! BULLSHIT ! Time for you to go home and wash your kitchen floor PM , utter bullshit, .
I say, cut their jobs back, their pay in half, no traveling expenses, and perks, get some non Gov accountants to review the books and spending and losses
by them and their party members and make them accountable for the losses. We the citizens in BC and Canada are the gov. we vote for them to work for us,
and we need to know what the F is going on in their, and we will let know when they get a raise and when they can spend money and how much!
They must think people are really stupid, rip us off, spend money like water, pay raises for them tax raises for us, and now no disclosure of info to the real Gov US!
FO is what I have to say!

The Dude
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
This gags public officials and circumvents due process. Un-Democratic, and definitely un-Canadian.

"A person must refuse, despite the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, to disclose . . . information that would reveal that a notifiable or reportable disease is or may be present in a specific place or on or in a specific vehicle," Section 16 of the Act reads.

Citizens or journalists breaking the Animal Health Act but not charged with an offence can be slapped with "administrative penalties," which are fines. And the legislation contains an additional attack on rights of citizens: if you don't pay your fine, a government representative simply files a paper in court that is the same, according to Sec. 80(2) of the Act, "as if it were a judgment of the court with which it is filed."

Nice. Overrides the freedom of Information laws, and Due process at the same time.
Where's Patsy to defend his beloved Fiberals?

scoutlt1
05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Fish no fish birds what ever???? This is about keeping info or the disclosing of it to the public and stopping us from being informed.
Let us not forget and especially the GOVERNMENT , that they work for us ! It's time for Canadians to speak up and stand up in this country,
these people in office are filling their pockets, and securing their pensions and doing what ever they want, and we sit back , taking it, now they will
inform us if they WANT! BULLSHIT ! Time for you to go home and wash your kitchen floor PM , utter bullshit, .
I say, cut their jobs back, their pay in half, no traveling expenses, and perks, get some non Gov accountants to review the books and spending and losses
by them and their party members and make them accountable for the losses. We the citizens in BC and Canada are the gov. we vote for them to work for us,
and we need to know what the F is going on in their, and we will let know when they get a raise and when they can spend money and how much!
They must think people are really stupid, rip us off, spend money like water, pay raises for them tax raises for us, and now no disclosure of info to the real Gov US!
FO is what I have to say!

I couldn't agree with you more!
The only thing I would say to that is that as a "group", we, the population, are "stupid". We have been letting them get away with these kinds of things for a long long time, and they know exactly how to play the game (nice and slowly and quietly), to make sure that we, again, as a group, stay "stupid".
As individuals, especially the many people on sites like this, are intelligent and well informed. To try and focus the minds of even 100K people to fight against something is next to impossible...
The best course of action for a government (for their interests) is to have the people kept happy (barely), make them think you give a crap about them, tax them just enough to make sure they have to work just hard enough not to get too far ahead, throw them a bone every now and then, and most importantly make sure they don't, or can't get together enough to make changes that you don't have control over.
Sad part is, it is working very well for them.
Hopefully the time will come when the people TRULY and rightfully get the governance they deserve!

05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
UNBELIEVABLE THIS NEEDS TO GO TO THAT OLSEN ON YOUR SIDE OR >>>>>>>> THAT NEW CHICK thats doing the show now CTV I think.

Good work Nogg bring it up.

Unreal !
CT

Goliath
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
It seems pretty obvious that much of this is to avoid public debate related to fish farming.

How they can be so short-sighted with such a valuable natural resource is perplexing.

Monashee
05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I've heard it reported that corporate interests would be more than pleased to see all wild salmon made extinct in Canada . This would allow damming of rivers so they could sell off the power naturally mines would be able to pollute into the water courses because all the fish are gone.... except for fish grown in unsanitary fish farms where they are fed antibiotics because of all the shit in the water.

scoutlt1
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I've heard it reported that corporate interests would be more than pleased to see all wild salmon made extinct in Canada . This would allow damming of rivers so they could sell off the power naturally mines would be able to pollute into the water courses because all the fish are gone.... except for fish grown in unsanitary fish farms where they are fed antibiotics because of all the shit in the water.

The same corporate interests that want to damn all the rivers and mine our land are the same as, or at least closely related to, the business of antibiotics (pharmaceuticals). And they all love the boys and girls in government, no matter what the stripe.