PDA

View Full Version : Our First Big Game Harvest

Coop
05-22-2012, 12:58 AM
First a little background, I had spent a small amount of time as a teenager (mid to late 80s) hunting with my step dad. One cold Saturday in the late fall on Mount Ida, Salmon Arm we had a chance at a large 5x4 white tail. We both took a look at it through the scope while it stared straight back at us, neither one of us took the shot and my step dad opted out of hunting all together from that point on. Since he was out that meant I no longer had the option. Years later I'm raising a family of my own and in 2004 we relocate from the Okanagan to Chilliwack. Seems only natural to start fishing and once success begins I realize just how much my family enjoys eating the fish we catch. They had always fussed about it from the grocery stores. Noticing the dramatic difference between our fish and the grocery store's got me thing about the quality of the rest of our meat and so my brother and I got our PALS last November. We only got out for deer few times before the season ended and being rookies we only came across one doe. The two of us spent the winter getting in better shape and getting some gear together to take hunting much more serious this spring.

With this years bear season about to open we spend our free time scouting our local area and trying to determine where to focus our efforts for early bear. On opening day we are on it and we don't any indication anywhere. All of "prime" spots show sign of absolutely nothing. Challenged but not discouraged we decide it's too early and to wait a couple of weeks.

When we return to the mountains we are seeing deer like crazy and even though we're not hunting them it exciting to see how close we can get to them and it's informational to watch their behavior. No bear that day but we are feeling super optomistic that it will be any day. Later that week (Thursday) we decide to go for a good evening hike though a specific area. On the drive out we notice scat on the road and now we know for sure a bear is out of hibernation. Filled with enthusiasm we park and gear up for the hike. Sure enough once we get to the top we hear a bit of crashing in the bush. It is most definately a bear so we freeze and begin looking for it. My brother spots the bear but it's only partially viewable and does not present an ethical shot. We are overcome with a variety of feelings and emotions...excitement, anxiety etc etc etc as neither one of had ever shot any big game in our lives. We watched as silently as possible but ultimately we made a sound and he busted us. Gone! That's okay, we will be back Saturday. We camp the area for the first half of the day and nothing. No problem, we'll come back Sunday evening and find him for sure. Nothing, not a peep anywhere. It's dark so we head home, log onto to HBC and see the exact bear in the exact spot had been taken by another HBC member earlier in the day on Sunday. Damn we need a new plan!!!

Friend of mine who is an experienced hunter calls and invites us up to hunt with him in region 8 for May long. We commit to hunting and head up Friday after work and get an evening hunt in. Saw a beautiful brown colored Black bear on the way in but it was on private land. Nonetheless awesome to see at the start of our hunt and it certainly got us excited for what may be. A few deer and a moose would be seen before dark but no other bears. A few smokies and a quick sleep in the trucks and we're hunting by 4:30am Saturday morning. We see three moose by 5:15am and then a black bear at least a kilometer ahead of us further down the road. We run down the road on foot to gain a position but after a couple kilometers past where we last saw him we turned around. On the walk back to the truck we notice him in a field but upon closer inspection we see that he's terribly rubbed and not a shooter. Another 30 minutes of driving and another bear is spotted but gone before we can do anything about it. It's about 11:00am and time for a couple more smokies and a quick nap, there was very little shut eye caught by any of us overnight.

Back on the move we spot a boar chasing a sow across a cutblock but lose sight of them. Guessing where they may end up we drive to a position where we can easily glass the area. They finally appear again but on private land. Also the boar turns out to be the rubbed one we saw earlier. The sow is small but beautiful in color, really dark on the legs and rich brown over the back. We decide to put a stalk on and hope they move off the private land while doing so. After about a 3km hike we make a plan for our friend to loop around one way while we take another line. We are slowly walking on the outside of this field when we come across a different black bear. It was laying in some longer grass 97 yards away and was tough for us to verify if it was the rubbed one or not. Just as we were about to put him in the scope the bear busted our friend and stood up out of the grass. He was clearly a shooter but on the move fast now. There was no shot and as my friend yelled at us "why didn't you shoot" the brown sow came running right across the path in front of us less than 25 yards away. Again, not shot, things just happened to fast.

It was about 3:30pm now and we are driving in the truck, just covering ground and talking about all the what ifs regarding the last encounter. Started to think about the ride out as we were to head back to Chilliwack later in the evening and the thought of some food other than smokies was consuming my mind. My brother is starting to fade in the back seat and my friend is driving, we come around a gentle bend to the right and on the low side of the road we see and awesome bear (148 yards). My friend is yelling "shot it, shoot it, shoot it" and I'm just going through all the thing I need to before I can shoot. The bear has long since busted us and is moving towards the tree line, not running but certainly heading away. I squeezed the trigger at what I think would have been the last possible second before it would have been to late and the bear disappeared into the tree line. Even though it was the first shot I have ever taken at an animal I had never felt so on about a shot. Everything felt perfect but my partners seemed uncertain and of course due to my inexperience it was easy for me to believe I may have missed. In my mind I'm really starting to feel like I blew it and I am feeling like my partners are let down and blah blah blah. I can't wait even 5 minutes to go look and decide to walk to the last point of sight immediately. There's no blood at all but some evidence of his direction and upon looking the direction he appeared to be heading he was laying not 15 yards from where he was shot. He was hit in the boiler room with a 7mm rem mag 160g TSX and quite obviously died super quick.

Here he is, our first big game harvest and exactly what I dreamed of in a black bear. He even has the white diamond on his chest. The ground was marshy and there was no opportunity to clean him up better so I apologize for that. Also, we are not photographers and in the moment this was the best that we could do.

'http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/gordc/MyFirstBear.jpg

Bear Chaser
05-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Nice looking bear and good photo as well. Sometimes they get wet; no apology needed.
Congratulations.

Tikka270
05-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Good write up and heck of a bear, congrats!

nolimits
05-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Great story and equally great looking bear. Congrats.

hunter1947
05-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Can't get a story any better then this as for the bear ,congrats to you..

375 ultramag
05-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Hey Coop..great story and congrats on a great looking bear!!!!

fearnodeer
05-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Man thats one sweet looking Bear.

Ride Red
05-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Memories start here, congrats on the bruin.

bearhunter338-06
05-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Good job....But couldn't you have gotten a Black bear instead of a cinnamon bear..........Ya OK I'm just a tad jealous........:-)

toyordie
05-22-2012, 06:11 AM
great job, awesome story and a fine bear

Hammerhead
05-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Nice bear. Bet your back in the game and hooked now for sure. Congrats on the bear and a good write up
HH

bcbrez
05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Hey great job, congrats.

swampthing
05-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Damn fine bear. I bet you are sorry you waited so long to start huntin again.

Brambles
05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Great writeup, thanks for taking the time. Fantastic bear too, they always seem to pop out when you least expect it.

r106
05-22-2012, 07:13 AM
great bear, love the color

twr
05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
WOW!!! awesome bear. and for your first just a beutie!

srupp
05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
great bear! love the color and well furred. great photo..bear is posed nicely...ya just have such a blank expression on your face for just harvesting such an awesome bear......lol

congrads

steven

fester
05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
very nice animal

Telkwa Hunter
05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Nice bear...... The long weekend was nice to a few of us !

doubled
05-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Congrats on your first, you will never forget it. Enjoy the rewards and welcome to the circus.

weatherbyjunkie
05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
congrats!! still waiting for my first cinamon bear.....

scoutlt1
05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Great story, and a hell of a bear!

Congrats!

Rattler
05-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Congrats on your first big game harvest. A beauty bear!

anglo-saxon
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Awesome story. Thanks very much. I'm heading out for a week in early June and am inspired by your enthusisam! Great bear, too. By the colour of him, I bet he tastes like maple syrop!!

So, how were you at gutting/skinning, etc., for your first time? Also, how are you having you bear prepared (sausage, jerky, etc.)?

BearSupreme
05-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Beauty Bear! did you get a weight or height on it? Cheers

REMINGTON JIM
05-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats on your Bear ! very nice Brownie ! :-D RJ

TheProvider
05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Good story, congrats on the first harvest, thats a great bear for your first and it will definately be tasty. Its a good pic. No blood.

yama49
05-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Great bear, nice color phaze..Big congrats.

05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Congratulations - that is a fine looking bear!

Coop
05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks Guys! Skinning/gutting etc was not a problem at all. I had been warned about an awful smell but I never noticed any smell at all. A couple of hams were saved, my friend earned the backstraps and almost all the rest will be made into pepperoni. Would like to have a rug made but have not 100% committed yet, the cape with the skull and paws are in the freezer. Need to decide soon!

ncurrie
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
awesome! way to go!

Phoneguy
05-23-2012, 11:23 AM
My wife, who turned her nose up at the whole idea of eating bear has decided that she really likes bear burgers!

moose2
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Great story and great bear congratulations.
Mike

SHAKER
06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Another hunter for life, Congrats on a really nice bear guy.

91Jason91
06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
thats awesome man thanks for sharing