PDA

View Full Version : What was the first kill you were on?

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi, I guess we all have fond memories of hunting when we were a small kid,I was looking through some old pictures and found one of me standing next to this big blackbear my dad had shot,I would have been around four years old at the time.So what was the first kill you were on and how old were you?:-(

Amphibious
11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Spearfishing, around 12yrs old took a nice grouper.
small game, early teens, a rabbit.
big game, 20, a black bear, 30yrds with my .450. didn't go far :D

grew up in a non-hunting family, so first kills were all my own.

todbartell
11-03-2006, 08:58 PM
my Dad shot a mulie doe at 250 yards with his 308 norma mag, in 1993 or so. I remember there was snow on the ground, and we tracked her for about 200 yards, where we found her :D I was suprised when he shot and extracted the empty brass that his gun didnt fire the whole cartridge out, thats what I thought guns did :lol: I was about 12 yrs old

good topic 8-)

Leaseman
11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
grouse at 9
rabbit at 10
deer at 12
moose at 14
then lots more island deer until 19
more moose
first mulie at 23ish
more moose
lots muilies
more moose
3 mulies last year
in on first whitetail
I can't believe nothing this year....son playing football 4x week since opening day.....:cry: :cry: :cry:

Mike

Seth
11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
I remember going hunting with my dad when I was 7 or 8 back when Butler main was open here on the island. I can't put my finger on which deer was the first that I was in on but I remember him taking many and being with him while dragging them out. I thought it was the coolest thing and that's probably why I'm so hooked and to this day he is still my main hunting partner. Matter-of-fact we are headed out tommorrow to a "secret" spot to see if we can't connect with a buck.

MichelD
11-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Seven in 1960 when my father shot a deer.

It went "Baaaah" when he cut its throat.

dana
11-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I know I was tagging along with dad when I was really young but I don't really recall if dad killed anything when I was really small. My earliest memories of animals being harvested would be around age 7.

A whitey doe my brother shot and dad showing us how to field dress it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/TeachingHisBoys.jpg

My first deer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/My1stDeer.jpg

My first bowkill, a starling.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/FirstBowKill.jpg

Marc
11-03-2006, 09:19 PM
The first kill I was on was a black duck that my father shot. It wasn't dead when he retrieved it and I didn't want him to kill it at first I wanted to keep it as a pet :D He talked me into letting him finish it off because it was sufferening. I was 8 at the time. I was a little upset until we ate it and i found out how good it tasted.

jjensen20
11-03-2006, 09:20 PM
coyote trapping on the snow covered praries with my grandfather for as long as i can remember but i will never forget the coyote he shot that day running at 300 yds with his .223 i was about 4

hutch
11-03-2006, 09:27 PM
about 18 with my dad we had split up and i shot a fork in sooke and then having to wait for an hour till he showed up because i didnt know what to do with it. i think i checked the back of the truck 50 times on the way home just to make sure that it was all real

brotherjack
11-03-2006, 09:29 PM
My wife and I took up hunting at the same time. We used to take turns being the designated shooter. Her turn was up when we got our first good shot opportunity - and my wife is an excellent shot. So, her first kill, was my first kill to be in on.

browningboy
11-03-2006, 10:04 PM
First edible kills (grouse) and in 90, mule doe when I was 16, wow, times sure is flying:cry:

chevy
11-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I was 10 yrs old i shot a 6x6 elk a 4x4 whitetail a 10 x 10 1/4 goat
a 6 1/2 foot black bear and a nice 5x5 mulie buck, if you can read the article i was the first junior in b.c to shoot animals using my fathers tag this was all in 1988 i was 10 yrs old..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/10yearsold.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1908&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1292&sl=c)

Schmaus
11-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Chevy thats friggin awesome the only 10 year old in BC to hammer a Grand Slam ever probaly. I'm not sure how old I was when I was with my dad shooting something but I remember getting my first moose when I was 11.

chevy
11-03-2006, 10:35 PM
i have pics of them all i will post them in my gallery for you all to see soon but right now i gotta unfortunately work so i can do some more hunting lol

000buck
11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
my first real blood ( other than bunnies birds and fish ) I got at 21 in shawnigan the day before 2 points or better opened it was a spike buck with about a 5 inch rise. caught him in the boiler room with a 270 win, thought i missed the first time cause he didn't flinch so i hit him again (both rounds were t & t about 1 inch apart) He took off running and i looked all over the hillside for blood ... not drop looked for 35 mins saw nothing figured I sucked at shootin deer and gave up. Walked around this big ol stump and hey theres my deer all piled up dragged it out and field dressed it. On my own never done it before..... well shook for a week after and never lost the want for it

3kills
11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
hey dana is ur first deer a lil spike with only one spike?

3kills
11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
this was my first buck....i had been in on kills before not sure when the first one was.....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/mypics/deer.jpg

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2006, 11:58 PM
my Dad shot a mulie doe at 250 yards with his 308 norma mag, in 1993 or so. 8-)

308 Norma Mag? I didn't know The Swede was your dad! :lol:

I remember the first time my dad took me deer hunting, I was 4 or 5. We walked up an old road, and on the way back down a group of deer crossed ahead of us. We snuck down to them, and dad waved me forward to watch a doe and fawn that were standing only about 30 yards from us. Suddenly, he whispered to be still, raised his M88 308 and shot a buck that was standing further up the hill watching us. In the neck of course, that was his favourite shot. I'm actually going back to that exact hill tomorrow...40 years later.

bigwhiteys
11-04-2006, 12:23 AM
My first kill I was about 8 years old and shot a squirrel... Then from there progressed into beavers, muskrats, squirrels, rabbits and porcupines.

My family being in the outfitting business I would be all over the hunters kills when they got back to base camp. Mostly stone sheep, starting at about age 9 on up... I got hooked really early.

I shot my first deer when I was 14. I've never actually seen my dad shoot anything. He only took one trophy of each animal that he guided for and that's it. He's been there for most of my kills though.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Krico
11-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't remember the first kill I was in on, my dad and uncle ran a trapline in my younger years and I spent every weekend checking traps and snares, as well as getting to tag along on as many hunting and fishing trips mom would let me go on. I do remember the first thing I shot myself with a gun-it was a snowshoe hare that had turned white a little before the snow arrived. I'm sure my dad has pic of me holding that thing somewhere.

BlacktailStalker
11-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I shot a spiker sleeping under a tree. He had 10" spikes which are still the largest I've seen today, aside from the 2x2 with the third main beam about a foot tall out the middle. I was proud as can be as I learned to hunt and shoot on my own. That didnt happen until my second year of hunting.

sawmill
11-04-2006, 05:03 AM
My first was a black bear that was coming into the farmyard in broad daylight and chasing the chickens,Dad and me and my little brother went after it.He 7 magged it and I skinned it and nailed it to the chicken house wall ,till my Mom made me get rid of it.My first solo was a bull moose when I was 12(borrowed)my Dads 7mag when he was at work and took a little walk down our back 40.He wasn`t too pissed off till he saw the size of it.....A huge stinkey 60 inch+ in full rut.Even the hamburg was tough!

Nimrod
11-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Can't remember the first, it was no doubt some innocent song bird... I'm the only one in the whole family that hunts, when I wanted a sling shot they gave it to me..... unsupervised 8 year old with nothing to do but stalk and shoot song birds all day is not a good thing, man did I do a lot of damage. I hate to think of all the poor bird that made the mistake of flying into our yard.
First deer kill I was at 15 hunting with a fellow that worked for my dad. was a nice 4x5 mulie near Oyama, I remember being so wound up that after the shot the deer took off so fast I thought I missed, couldn't remember aiming. Was so mad that I blew it , but alas I found hair, then the blood, then a horn sticking out of some brush. the shot split the heart in half. I still get that same feeling when I walk up to a downed animal. If I stop getting that feeling it'll be time to stop hunting....not going to happen.

sako7mm
11-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Lets see, my first kill was a nice immature swamp donkey about 1km from the road by the time it dropped. Talk about an initiation, all by myself, in a swamp and (at the time) a big moose down. Gutted it and packed it out myself, great eating that critter.;) I think all that extra work made it even better.

Rod
11-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Plenty of groundhogs with a recurve too long ago to remember but my first big game kill was a whitetail buck when I was 15, I was using a 303 sporter and stalked the buck lying behind a rail fence. I saw one tine peeking behind a tree that was blocking the view of his head, hit him at about 100 yds and when I got to him all he had was a single spike about 4" long.
My dad doesn't hunt so I was alone and spend forever dragging this little guy home about a half a mile away.

Lost count of the whitetails I have taken, 3 blacktails, 3 moose, 2 caribou, half a dozen bears to my credit and now I'm dreaming of puting a muley and elk on the wall.

J_T
11-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Good post. Kind of nostalgic.

The first kill I was on (with my father and my uncle) two mule deer does. I was 6 years old.

When I was 12 I hunted with an open sites 30-30. I took a 166 mule deer and a 4 point elk in that year.

Haven't had that kind of luck since.

JT

Phil
11-04-2006, 09:38 AM
At about 7 or 8 my dad let me use his air rifle for target shooting in the back yard. When I was about 13 I bought my own air riffle and continued tatrget shooting. That is ...untill robbins and other small birds became more challenging. I soon got bored with that and took up rabbit hunting. At this time no other members of my family were into hunting so I had to teach myself how to gut and skin rabbits. I even tryed preserving a few pelts on home made stretching racks. I had a great time and did a lot of reading at the time in the family encyclopedia set to learn about my hobbie/sport.
I have kids of my own now and I can't wait to help them with their first kill. I am sure that hunting is rubbing off on them as at dinner time they often ask " did you kill dinner Dad". Makes me proud.

mrdoog
11-04-2006, 09:42 AM
The first kill I was involved in was when I was 12. My Dad and his buddy were hunting around Skull Mtn.
My Dad's buddy came back to the truck at lunch and said "son-you've got some draggin to do."
I still remember the feeling of honour that I was included in the hunt.

ratherbefishin
11-04-2006, 09:51 AM
My first kill was a blacktail doe-I was hunting with my dad who shot the buck on november 11,1963,up in the Sooke Lake watershed[Victoria]We were hunting with an old friend,John McDonald who was the gatekeeper[who remembers the ''Sooke Lake Coffee shop?]
That was 43 years ago,both John McDonald and my Dad are long gone now,and I hunt with my boys-and maybe grandson who I take trout fishing[he is a bit young-4 years old to take hunting yet]
Some of my best memories were hunting and fishing with my dad-too bad the anti hunting crowd doesn't understand what its all about-building relationships and good memories-a legacy to pass on

BCrams
11-04-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't remember mine, but apparently it was a limit of mallards when I was just 3 years old. He plopped me on top of a muskrat house on the edge of a prairie pothole in Saskatchewan.

sirttt
11-04-2006, 12:46 PM
im 34 went hunting with a bud this year shot a nice white tail and seen lots of elk nothing legal ( 6 pointor better ) now my core starts soon

NightOwl74
11-04-2006, 01:37 PM
First kill was 4 or five Ruffies in Peachland B.C. around 1985-86. 10 yrs old. Been in love with the Kelowna area ever since.

kishman
11-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I've been fishing scince I was too youg to remeber so I imagine the very first kill would've been a Salmon of some kind out on Dad's boat. My first big game animal was a Whitetail Doe I shot in the Okanagan two weeks ago, in my first year of hunting at age 36:oops:.

bsa30-06
11-04-2006, 05:15 PM
The first kill i was in on was my own , i was 32 and it was a 2pt mulie that i located , shot , gutted and dragged out by myself.I used my dads BSA30-06 cleaned it up, as it had been sitting in his closet for probably 30 years had a scope mounted on it and have hunted with it ever since.

oldtimer
11-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Not sure I remember them correctly and I understand the thread is not MY first but the first kill I was in on. I was about 4 or 5 I think and shooting goose up the coast with dad on a sandbank just south of a small coast town called Namu where we were or it was the first deer hunt with dad off of a B.C. Packers boat shooting deer on the beach. This is early fifties if I am correct. Mike

Sideofabarn
11-05-2006, 11:41 AM
For the first kill I'm not sure if it qualifies, but my uncle had a farm and shot a sheep (domestic variety) for the family, I guess I was about 7 or 8. I can never remember why he shot it, because whenever I killed sheep for the house it was done with a knife to the throat. While on the subject of farming I still remember the smell of oats mixed with molasses that he fed his house cow while he milked her. My first rifle kill was a bunny taken with a brno .22 bolt action, I don't think I missed anything I aimed at with that...

livingston
11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I was pretty young when I started going hunting with my Dad,at first it was just walking roads looking for grouse with a slingshot.

My brother and I would sling so many rocks at those birds and rarely come close,my dad would lose his patience as the grouse started clucking getting ready to fly and would usually get the grouse in a couple shots.

I was a bit older when I was there for a big game animal. With my dad again I got to carry a .22 for grouse.It was pouring rain and we were soaked to the ass and my Dad had made it clear he didn't expect to see anything.

We were walking a road and decided to cut through some timber then circle back to the truck.Right away on a bluff above us a nice little two point was standing looking at us.One shot to the neck and we were gutting and dragging him to the truck.I was hooked to hunting after that, any time the old man went hunting I was there pleading to go with him.:smile:

Ozone
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
When I was 2 (1968) a bear walked into the back yard in CR. Apparrently I was quite upset with my dad that he didnt let me shoot it and they still bring it up at family get togethers.

Tarp Man
11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
My first kill likely was a trout I caught as my dad doesn't hunt but taught me to see fish in every stretch of water:lol: . My first kill I was in on was a goose hunt in Rosedale in December 2004 with Lapadat. For whatever reason, freezing my butt off in a frozen cornfield hooked me HARD for hunting. My first kill was a mulie doe in Dawson Creek October 2005. Two moose and a bunch of ducks and a few geese since (and some grouse).

Crazy thing is that My maternal grandfather hunted like crazy, but died when I was too young to go along. He did shoot a record book elk from Vancouver Island though. Aparently, my grandma says I take after him and when showing her my last round of pictures, she says I look just like him when he hunted. I now have his old Cooey 39 and .303 British. I hope to shoot a nice buck with it soon, but it needs some TLC first. I guess my grandma and mom are right that hunting was in my blood!

Machinist
11-06-2006, 01:36 PM
IN HEADLY - Across from the STEMWINDER CAMPSITE on top of thoes Bald Hills up there , I Was 6 Years old 1961 , My Dad Shot a 4 Point Muley .The Season was open real Late in thoes Day's I Am sure it was in December , I Remember A Lot of Snow , We Had an old WILLEYS jeep that he Chained up All four Wheels to get up there :lol:
Sorry no pictures , i still Have the Rack it Has one of thoes
** Old Metal Tags ** on it.

NEEHAMA
11-06-2006, 01:59 PM
12 years old i ran up and over the dike and jump shot a hen mallard. single shot cooey 12ga (i hated that gun, kicked like a mule).
14 years old shot my first big game animal, black tail two point up in port mc-neil. good shot for my first time (175 yards plus). 308 parker hail (i hated that gun to).

ASPEN
11-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Dad would not let any of his kids have guns of any kind ( he was a cop and did not think we should have them) so could not take up hunting till I was legal to do without his permission ( 18 or 19-can't remember)Went out with a friend and " pounded bush" . Kicked out a 2 point which my buddy shot and i was hooked.On my next trip was hunting a ridge and took a real nice 4 x 4 , two days later -a doe on the same ridge and a cougar @ 8 foot away that wanted the doe i was dragging down the mountain.

warnniklz
01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
My dad had me out when I was a baby so I don't remember that... but the first hunt I do remember I definitely younger than 8... but it was me, my brother, my dad and his buddy. We went out springhouse (region 5) but I can't remember exactly where.

The night before as my dad was putting me and my brother to bed and I remember asking my dad if there was bears out there. Bears are big and scary when you're little, but my dad just said "were going to sneak up on them then say 'BOO!' and scare them all away." That made me feel pretty comfortable and I was out like a light.

I was with my dad's buddy and my brother went with my dad. We spent a good half day picking our way through the bush. Me and my dad's friend heard a shot so we made our way to the area my dad was in. We met up with my dad and brother on a trail.

My dad had dropped a 2 point mulie. Me and my little brother ended up dragging the deer most of the way back to the truck. Which may have been quite a ways or not very far at all. When you're little everything seems bigger and further. But none the less we were excited and glad to drag this beast out of the woods. I didn't even sleep on the ride home I was so excited!

I also remember my dad talking about how my brother was coughing and dragging his feet, talking... you know not being very stealthy. Obviously that didn't matter.

That evening I watched my dad as he skinned the deer and we had the tenderloins that night for supper! 'Twas the best!!!

MB_Boy
01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I shot my first grouse when I was about 5 or 6 with the ole' single shot .410. I have a funny picture of it somewhere that I have to find.

Some of the more memorable ones were sitting in the front of the canoe duck hunting with my Dad as a wee little guy. Wrapped up in warm clothes and all I could see was "up" through the reeds as they were too high. I recall my Dad whacking a duck that landed in my lap when I was about 6 or 7; it kinda hurt and I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

First big game kill I witnessed....I was about 10 with my Dad (you couldn't hold a big game tag in MB until you were 12 if I recall correctly) , up in the Interlake area of MB. We had been sitting in an area chasing whitey's which was a spruce plantation; I just happened to notice a flicker of an ear and saw antlers. I told my Dad without pointing that there was a buck looking at us....it took him a while to find it (and he had eagle eyes) , but down it went. I still remember vividly seeing it on the ground about 70 yards away with it's legs doing the final little "kicks" before it expire. I tell ya....I felt like the best hunter in the world that day even though I didn't even have a gun or fire a shot; the idea of seeing an animal that well hidden in the bush before my Dad and his recognition of it was a big ego boost.

I think I grew my first whisker that day. :mrgreen: :wink:

Wow...I just realized I replied to a thread started back in '06! You sure resurrected this one warnniklz; although it IS a good thread!! :eek::wink:

Fisher-Dude
01-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Firebird
my Dad shot a mulie doe at 250 yards with his 308 norma mag, in 1993 or so. :cool:

I miss Firebird. :icon_frow

MB_Boy
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I miss Firebird. :icon_frow

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

moose2
01-18-2011, 08:51 PM
My dad quit hunting shortly after I was born. So it wasn't until I was 14 and was showing intrest in the sport that he aggreed if I got my core and bought a rifle he would go with me. I got my core and it was 4 years later before I bought a rifle with mushroom picking money. So the deal was on , some blacktail hunting and a Salmon Arm moose trip. Both were unsuccessful. The following year I shot a spike BT when I was with a buddy. If you looked at my face you would have thought I just shot a booner. I have been hooked ever since.
Mike

spear
01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I was about 12 in Gold River, Black Bear got treed pretty high up in our back yard by the dog. RCMP came and tranked it, it ran anothe 20-30' up, all three officers shot it at the same time, man that thing made a noise when it landed.
First kill hunting was my first buck last season on third day of the season, 2 point BT. BANG, FLOP! Now what??

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Shot a spike buck sleeping under a tree.
Made a poor shot and spined it, it made the worst gawd awful noise.
I asked my buddy, 'Do they always do that!?"
"No! Hurry up shoot it again!" :lol:

landphil
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
My dad didn't do any hunting in my younger years living on the Island, but when I was 9 we took a trip to the Cariboo in the family '76 Mercedes 300D, to stay at Minac Lodge on Canim Lake for the week, and do some hunting. (Yes, in the Mercedes!:mrgreen:) After a few unsucessful days of seeing nothing, we found a young, dumb spiker mulie that stood on the side of the side of the FSR a little too long. He looked absolutely huge compared to the urban blacktails we were used to on the island. I was rather dreading the gutting part, but in the end was very proud to hold my lunch down with ease while my older brother turned green. Not bad for a gut-shot deer, there ALL easy after that!:wink:

Dad then loaded the buck into the trunk of the Mercedes for a trip to the butcher, where he had to put up with just a little ribbing.

The next year we moved to the opposite side of Canim Lake, and spent many good years growing up out there in the bush. Helped gut and clean many deer after that, including the buck my dad shot just before he left for work one morning, leaving me and my older brother to gut and skin it.

Oddly enough, I was 22 before I shot my first deer, a 3point mulie, while on a week long holiday back "home".

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2011, 12:34 AM
:-D Cool topic! It was 1970, and my dad was going to scout around some logging roads between Kitimat and Terrace. I was just four, but I begged dad to let me come with him, and since he was just going for a look near town I was allowed to go! So, we turn off the highway and a few kilometres up this logging road we spot a mid-sized bull moose! Dad got out, threw the clip into his .303 Lee Enfield, and knocked that moose down at about 75 yards with one shot. I came around the back of the Valiant and charged towards the moose with my cap gun to finish it off, lol! Dad told me to stop but I was on a mission! He ran and caught up, threw me in the air and put me down on a stump, and told me to watch for bears or cougars while he made sure the moose was dead. He got closer and put another Imperial 180 grain sabre tip in it's head to make sure it wasn't going anywhere and tagged it. He opened her up to cool and we went and got uncle back to help. I still recall my older cousin stepped on it's bladder and got pee all up his pants, lol...good times!

MountainHigh
01-19-2011, 12:52 AM
My Dad wasn't a hunter so I learned from tagging along with my friends Dad. Moose on the Parsnip 20 years ago...and I was so fascinated with the 'guts'.

scouterjames
01-19-2011, 01:02 AM
My first trip out was with my brother-in-law about 7 years ago. His Dad's health was keeping him home and others they'd gone with had drifted off over the years and he had no one to go with so off I went. Problem was, no CORE or PAL. Not much point being an observer on a hunting trip. Got the paperwork taken care of ASAP so went out again the next year. Got a little white tail buck with a vintage .303 and have gone back every year since. Best camping ever!

hunterofthedeer
01-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Mule Deer Thanksgiving 2008. Near Willams Lake with my best friend and
his family.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/hunterofthedeer/HOMEPICTURES324-1.jpg

250 sav
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
mule deer
little buck my dad got when I was seven was first big game kill when I was there but remember deer and moose hanging in the shed from as far back as I can remember.
My 1st big game was a doe when I was 10