PDA

View Full Version : good hunting/ family dog

islandhunter69
05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
im looking around for a good hunting/ family dog for me and my girlfriend. what breed of dogs do must of you guys have? i will be hunting bear and deer mainly.

5 spike
05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Bluetic and a shepard are the dogs i have and there great family dogs.

Ozone
05-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Best family/hunting dog around would be the Lab, with many colours to choose from.

Ovis17
05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Lab hands down.........

Trailmaster
05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
I have to say a lab, or a golden.

keoke
05-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't get a border collie, mine has a high awareness of self preservation.

bearhunter338-06
05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Labrador's are one of the best choices for a hunting/family dog. Easy to train and very gentle with children, actually there just plain gentle. My advice would be to get a Lab and you wont be disappointed.

Ambush
05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
I would get a pitbull/shepherd/ 1/4 wolf cross. Great with pets and children, but tear any intruders to shreds.

Thought I'd just get that out of the way to save some folks some time. :-D :mrgreen:

Hunting stock Springer spanials are hard to beat for all around hunters and family pets. Stay far away from the show stock, or "pet" stock.

Vanman1985
05-21-2012, 03:38 PM
We have a chocolte lab that is just about 1 year old. She's calm, smart and she listens most of the time, and best of all, she's great with my boys. I have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old and she's so forgiving and gentle with them.

WaderGator
05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Can't go wrong with a Lab. Myself I want a wirehaired pointing griffon

FirePower
05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
From the OP I would surmise that you are not actually looking for a hunting dog but more a hunting companion. If that is the case I would sugest one of the pack dog types. Bernese Mountain dogs and others like them are great as they tend to follow and stay close and you can make them work for a living with pack vests. I have foune most gundog breeds want to be hunting when in the woods and can be a chore to keep on close, although there are exceptions to every rule. But remember be it good or bad the law states you must have your dog leashed while hunting deer.

BCHunterTV
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Coonhound,

Barracuda
05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
I first thought coonhound also but then i saw deer (i took to mean he plans on hunting deer with a dog also??) . if it were just bear i would say hound or hound cross .

WaderGator
05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
chihuahua...fits in your pack and makes for a tasty treat in a survival situation

K-1
05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
For what your looking for, you can take a look at an Airdale.

Foxton Gundogs
05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
For what your looking for, you can take a look at an Airdale.

Very good sugestion. Would be interesting to know if the OP is indeed looking to actually hunt with his dog or just have it as a "trail dog" would make quite a diffrence in recomendations.

blueboy
05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I agree with K-1 an airedale is worth looking at

nolimits
05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
I have to agree with Jagermeister on Akita. That's exactly what they were bread for, hunting bears and deer. But because they can be very much head strong they need knowledgeable handler. Other than Akita, my other choices would be Lab and Coonhound. In any case, let us know on what you guys will decide.

pappy
05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Another vote for any of the labs, I have a 4 year old chocolate and she has always been very quiet when we're stalking something (deer,elk, moose and bear) and always is excited to go get the grouse or ducks after the shot. I just came back from hiking up high with snow shoes and walking the river bottoms looking for a grizzly and she will follow me anywhere. I have a 2 year old son and lots of friends with kids and she's good with all of them. My kid piles toys on top of her, jumps on her (trying to get him to stop) and she will just relax and let him play. They are a very good breed for families and to have around kids.

scoutlt1
05-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Not sure what kind of experience you have with dogs. If it's none or limited, I would avoid some of the more "head strong" or more "high energy" breeds. A lab would be a much better idea.
If you do have experience with dogs, then I would suggest you have many more options. :-)

quicksilver
05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
beagles are nice and freindly, good with kids to.

Sideofabarn
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
beagles are nice and freindly, good with kids to.

Yep. I used to have a Beagle, and it tore me up when he had to be put down. He went a lot of places with me, and could go all day on rabbit scents. One caveat about the breed is that they are ruled by their noses, and can be headstrong when they're on a scent. They are persistent, so the owner needs to be that and more. Gassy little buggers too. My experience anyway.

ncurrie
05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
love my labs, awesome to hunt with and fantastic with my kids!

BCHunterTV
05-23-2012, 03:31 PM
i may have a few soon, anyone interested..lol

I first thought coonhound also but then i saw deer (i took to mean he plans on hunting deer with a dog also??) . if it were just bear i would say hound or hound cross .

teebee
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
German Shepard ... the only dog I will ever own , first one lived 13 years ,now have 2 puppies , unbelievably good with my "3" dog mauling hyper kids, but I don't think an unwelcome intruder would leave under his own power. Incredibly loyal and protective I trust my dogs to watch my kids more than most babysitters!

George
06-30-2012, 08:44 AM
iv got myself a walker hound and he is unreal with my 9 month old daughter. he has a very gentle temperament, but when i go fro work NO ONE gets in the house who is not invited in by my wife. a little hard to train but we can say good bye to having to track and more animals, they do it all for you. All you have to do is send him down the trail and hold onto the lead.

Aimer
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I have a german short haired pointer and they are the best hunting dog I have ever had

cameron0518
07-02-2012, 03:32 AM
was thinking of a weimeraner for our family.

kinderdoggin
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Greyghost has weim puppies available- I have met many of her dogs and they are all nice natured, good looking, trainable dogs. Energetic but not hyper. Not sure about hunting ability as I'n not a weim person , but might be worth inquiring about: http://www.greyghostweimaraners.com/litters.html

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
07-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I like Border Collies - very smart and ours stayed with us on the mountain hikes.

Brez
07-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a yellow lab and a golden and both are terrific. Important note: Goldens shed a lot!
I've never had a pure breed - always crosses. Yellow is black lab crossed with a golden and the golden is crossed with maybe a collie. Both are excellent bird dogs and a joy to have around.

08-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Add my name to the list of those suggesting an Airedale. They are fantastic with kids and love being in the outdoors. They do need lots of time to run, so keep that in mind. The short hair version doesn't need much grooming and they don't shed much either. "Terrierman" on the Traditional Working Airedale forum just announced that his dogs Joey Boy and Rosie had a litter. There are 10 pups and they are two weeks old. His dogs are excellent and he is very knowledgeable. My puppy is the grandpup of Joey Boy and Rosie (on the dam side). This is what she looks like at 6 months old:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/1899/Ruby.jpg

dakoda62
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
First choice would be Golden Retriever second, would be a Lab

hntcrazy
08-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Lab simply the best ,.......

Ron.C
08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I agree with the Lab vote. I had two Labs growing up and they were a huge part of my family. One never developed into much of a gun dog, as a matter of fact he was an idiot. A great pet, but not anything in the way of a good hunter. But the other Lab was a phenominal retreiver and gun dog.

My daughter and I chose my dog that I have now "Buckley". I was more concerned about getting a pet then a hunting dog. But over the past 8 years, he has came with me on allot of hunts. More as a companion then a hunting dog. I've shot three black bears "all under 22 yards" with him at my side and even stalked and shot shot two archery blacktail with him inches from me. He has recovered a few deer that just never left much in the way of blood/sign as well as several bears for friends. I think sometimes with dogs, allot of it is luck of the draw. I've hunted with a few friends with him and they all can't beleive this dogs instincts, and ability to "stalk" right alongside you. I shot the bear in the first pic below on the eve of June 15th this year and would have walked right past it if not for the dog indicating something was near. When the bear stepped out, he nearly stepped on Buckley, but he stayed motionless. An awesome dog

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_15_Black_Bear.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/huntdog.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Dog2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/dog4.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dog1.jpg

08-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Ron - sounds like you have a real keeper!

yukon john
08-02-2012, 02:26 PM
I would get a pitbull/shepherd/ 1/4 wolf cross. Great with pets and children

Around small children a dingo/pitbull/wolf might be the better choice