PDA

View Full Version : Wolf not down....

BiG Boar
05-21-2012, 08:32 AM
So we're hunting black bears for the last week, and I've taken my two friends out to get them their first bears this weekend. I'm showing them a spot where I have been practicing out to 800 yards with my rifle (300 wm). I'm actually using my rangefinder when I spot this wolf just past the marker we have been ranging at 500 yards. I figure it's about 650 yards, rather than actually ranging it (how stupid can I be) but I'm just so excited, that I lay prone to shoot with my friends 30-06. Some quick guesses on holdover for this rifle told me about 6 feet. Anyways, nice solid rest, and miss, miss, miss, and miss. The rifle is on, we had just shot 250 yards and it grouped MOA. I bet that wolf is still running! He was lone, and black in color.

What I'm left wondering is did I do the right thing? Obviously I should have at least ranged him, but I wonder what else I could have done? My other thought was rip up the road to get to 100 or so yards from him, and then get out and blast, but he had us pegged and I think he would have ran off while we were driving. At least my first shot he was broadside standing. I couldn't have crept up on him because he had already seen us.

Sure wish I could have a do-over. I would have had the rifle that I had been practicing with and I would have ranged him. Rats...

lovemywinchester
05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Too bad you missed. Any thoughts on how you would have prepared the backstraps? Open fire or Bbq?

SHAKER
05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
So we're hunting black bears for the last week, and I've taken my two friends out to get them their first bears this weekend. I'm showing them a spot where I have been practicing out to 800 yards with my rifle (300 wm). I'm actually using my rangefinder when I spot this wolf just past the marker we have been ranging at 500 yards. I figure it's about 650 yards, rather than actually ranging it (how stupid can I be) but I'm just so excited, that I lay prone to shoot with my friends 30-06. Some quick guesses on holdover for this rifle told me about 6 feet. Anyways, nice solid rest, and miss, miss, miss, and miss. The rifle is on, we had just shot 250 yards and it grouped MOA. I bet that wolf is still running! He was lone, and black in color.

What I'm left wondering is did I do the right thing? Obviously I should have at least ranged him, but I wonder what else I could have done? My other thought was rip up the road to get to 100 or so yards from him, and then get out and blast, but he had us pegged and I think he would have ran off while we were driving. At least my first shot he was broadside standing. I couldn't have crept up on him because he had already seen us.

Sure wish I could have a do-over. I would have had the rifle that I had been practicing with and I would have ranged him. Rats...

Yeah..... don't listen to other guys opions on ballistics. Know what yours do and use your buddy to do the ranging and helping spot where the bullet hits only!

BiG Boar
05-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Too bad you missed. Any thoughts on how you would have prepared the backstraps? Open fire or Bbq?

I would have steaked them and done them on the open pit BBQ. No other really better way to do them.

RENO
05-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Next time range him, and take um, and remember this while squeezing, works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09XZbduPeUo&feature=related

The Dude
05-21-2012, 09:49 AM
You know what you did wrong, Dave, why you asking?
Wanna see pics when you get 'em, though!

BiG Boar
05-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I guess I would just like to know if anyone would have tried anything different. I like the thought about having a buddy range and watch the splash down of bullets. Didn't think about that. Also showed my new Hunter friends how I always tape the drop distances on my rifle stock for these exact kind of scenarios. I think with my rifle that I know what the drop distances are, I would have got it.

Jeff88
05-21-2012, 10:15 AM
wow ,thats 10 yards farther than my moose and nobodys tearing u a new one ....but atleast i dropped the moose ,,,...buuurrrrnn...

BiG Boar
05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I think not shooting at wolf at any distances would be viewed as unethical by most hunters.

boxhitch
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Chucking lead at a vermin is never a bad thing
There's always a prayer
When there's lead in the air

ford1
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
I think not shooting at wolf at any distances would be viewed as unethical by most hunters.

Unethical is the possibilty of wounding an animal (ANY animal) at a distance that you obviously cant shoot... ;)

Bowzone_Mikey
05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
wow ,thats 10 yards farther than my moose and nobodys tearing u a new one ....but atleast i dropped the moose ,,,...buuurrrrnn...

why would anyone tear him a new one ... he threw lead at a wolf .... hell he coulda said he did it at a grand ...and woulda gotten High fives ....
You however got torn a new one for dropping your moose at 6 and change ... simply because some here think thats way too far .....I suspect however its your immature mentality of your online persona that brought you the majority of that shit storm ......

The Dude
05-21-2012, 10:47 AM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/SavageEagle/4forums/IBTLhaha.jpg

Shooter
05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
You did it right. It's a wolf, get bullets in the air. You wouldn't of even gotten a shot if you tried to fly down the road to get closer. Too bad you didn't have your own rifle tho. I would guess you were impacting low by a margin.

RayHill
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
X 2 Shooter. It's a .30 cal rifle if you hit the wolf anywhere it would have gone down. This is why I shoot my hunting gun the most. If you had your gun you would have smoked him.

Jeff88
05-21-2012, 12:01 PM
why would anyone tear him a new one ... he threw lead at a wolf .... hell he coulda said he did it at a grand ...and woulda gotten High fives ....
You however got torn a new one for dropping your moose at 6 and change ... simply because some here think thats way too far .....I suspect however its your immature mentality of your online persona that brought you the majority of that shit storm ......

Haha. I wanna show some true colors but ill get in trouble

fozzy
05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Too bad you did't get the wolf...

The only thing(s) I can think of that you could have done different is range it and then dial it rather than use hold over and as Shaker mentioned have your buddy spot the bullet for you. Spotting works best when your partner is as close to the line of sight as possible and is a skill in itself to learn.

burger
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Haha. I wanna show some true colors but ill get in trouble

We all know your true colors!!! :-)

Weatherby Fan
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Dam BigBoar to bad ya missed........................but I don't know if I could handle another 3-4 day story :mrgreen:
I can loan ya a Weatherby if ya wanna long range em !

The Dawg
05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPIz4dxnapAkRq_OMWRcWNpgVGy1LSV cj1z5_BAlRRIGA6OWmLQXiu0cpz

cloverphil
05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPIz4dxnapAkRq_OMWRcWNpgVGy1LSV cj1z5_BAlRRIGA6OWmLQXiu0cpz

hilarious again

tough luck there Dave, I would have spotted for the other guy and told him to shoot, if it's his gun
other wise use your own gun always, I don't even like using other guys guns at the range

insert "using other guys _ _ _ _ " joke here

Bowzone_Mikey
05-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Good for you Dawg .... I think its great that people like you get out into public every once in a while ..
keep it up

proguide66
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I woulda had as many guns as you guys had pointed at it at different 'hiehgts' if no range finder and more shooters.....As far as wounding a wolf , always a good thing as his 'buddies' will finnish the job for ya..EVERY time !

elkdom
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I like the part about having the "wrong gun",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:lol:

and the other hilarious part is a .30 Cal hit "anywhere" ?,,,and the "Wolf is Down" :roll:

The Dawg
05-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Good for you Dawg .... I think its great that people like you get out into public every once in a while ..
keep it up

Me too Buddy! See you tonight! :D

nolan-sawka
05-21-2012, 05:50 PM
you were shootin a 30-06...that was the problem

Darksith
05-21-2012, 08:00 PM
he wasn't familiar with the 06, thats the problem. I hit consistently with my 06 out to 600yds, but I also know my gun and my load through time at the range. 6' at 650 with a pretty decent 150g bullet and regular load is probably landing low by a couple feet I would bet.

91Jason91
05-21-2012, 08:17 PM

lol I would take K pokes at them if I had to for fun

blackbart
05-21-2012, 09:28 PM
You asked "What did you do that was wrong?"

The answer - you did not use a magnum!

lorneparker1
05-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Never hold over on the first shot.... :)

BearSupreme
05-21-2012, 11:05 PM
You would eat a wolf?

hunter1947
05-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Good Bad And Ugly the ugly said shoot talk latter and this is what you did ..