PDA

View Full Version : This Weeks 4-25 Griz Hunt

Ron.C
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Well, would I ever love to start this post with a pic of a nice Griz, and a good story to go with it. Unfortunately, I wasn't successfull.

I started the week by packing up the Albert River FSR in the Vehicle Closed Area. The area I had intended to get into still has to much snow. But after giving it an honest go, I backtracked and set up camp at the Ralph Lake trail head. The next morning I headed further up the Albert River road and walked up into a slide on the north side of the road. I was only in there for about an hour and I spotted a sow and cub Griz about 200m up from me. I backed out a bit to give them some more room. I carried on up the valley and saw two cow moose and LOADS of Griz tracks.

The next day I was back in the same area, and glassed the slide where the sow/cub were for the morning. By noon I headed further up the road again and bumped what I beleive was the same sow and cub on the road. They took off running pretty fast, and in the right direction, away from me!

The next day I checked out a couple areas that I was told about by some HBCers. I walked a hell of a long way up and into one spot, saw a great black bear and another really nice brown black bear. I was having a great hunt only to have a honda ATV with rider sporting a rifle over his shoulder. Fair enough if this was allowed, but I was in vehicle closed area so i was pretty pissed. He F'd off pretty fast when he saw me.

I checked out another area, but wasn't seeing the sign that I did up the Albert Rvr FSR, so at the end of the day I headed back up there so i'd be ready to go for first light.

This time I walked in from my truck and had to cross another slide that I hadn't glassed yet.. I glassed for the morning then hiked nearly 10km up the road. On the way back I walked up and checked a side road that ended up dead ending at a small cutblock about 200m up. I walked up into the cut block a bit to have a better look, and there was a lone Grizzly, 130m up. He saw me and just stayed where he was, quartering away pretty hard. I shoot a scoped inline muzzle loader and it is 1" high at 100. I figured I'd just stay put and wait for the shot. Well, long story short, he just busted and ran straight up the cutblock into the timber.

Anyway, was a fun hunt. Thanks to grizzlyduek, LBM, and bearslayer01 for the help they gave me getting ready for this hunt

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Ralph_tr.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/track1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bear39.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Albert_slide.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/buckley.jpg

lightmag
05-20-2012, 07:49 PM
sounds like a great hunt, love the pics!! beauty blackie!! cant wait to get out with my dog (rhodesian ridgeback) :)

bigwhiteys
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Good Stuff Ron, too bad you never connected! Lots of guys wouldn't attempt that hunt solo!

Carl

TheProvider
05-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Good reads, good luck in the next hunt, nice to see a muzzleloader ;)

swampthing
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Looks like you had a good time.

grizzlydueck
05-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Hey ron sounds like you had some good times ! Nice blackie. I'm heading up sat till june 6th my bud was up in my spot and turned down a large but ugly grizz and had seen a sow and cub + 10 feet of snow. Picked up the traier today and sorrting out all the gear -i'm going to be snowshoe backpacking up into a hidden slide that opens up early for the area. Where quads can't go ! I'm told it's a 5+ hours up to the spot. So i'll tent it for a few days and see how that works out ! Wish i still had my dog for the adventure -very nice pics. Wish me luck

hunter1947
05-21-2012, 03:19 AM
First off nice to see that you had a safe trip this is the most important thing when it comes to any kind of a hunt..

Nice to see that you had company mans best friend as for that quad being in there this is happening to much as I have had the same problem over the years there must be a way that we can identify these creeps so we can report them ???????????.

You gave it all you could Ron and thats all a person can ask of them selfs lots of hunts never unfold the way you want them to and thats called hunting ,just being out there and having a chance at filling your Griz LEH tag is a bonus.

To bad I was out of town the day you passed by Cranbrook there will be another day we can hook up to meet each other ,just like to say congrats on working so hard on your solo hunt ,next time my friend it might be a different story...:)

Rattler
05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Nice pictures, especially that last one....your dog appears to be posing. Not many people will Grizz hunt solo, I have a few times, but that was before my encounter a few years back. Did you try calling at that bear that was leaving the country? I have mimicked a rabbit distress call and have stopped many bears doing this...

Ron.C
05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Nice pictures, especially that last one....your dog appears to be posing. Not many people will Grizz hunt solo, I have a few times, but that was before my encounter a few years back. Did you try calling at that bear that was leaving the country? I have mimicked a rabbit distress call and have stopped many bears doing this...

to be perfectly candid, I blew that chance and if I regret anything on this trip is was my response to this situation. It was at the end of a long day(s) and I wasn't being as quiet as I should of been and had lost focus. When I goy up into the cutblock I was shocked to see one there. All I can say is that is was a blown opportunity :oops:.

But to answer you question, no I didn't try a call, which is ironic for me as I always a have a predator call ready when black bear hunting.

hunter1947
05-22-2012, 04:14 AM
Ron is there any way you can go back for a week to try to get your bear ??? less snow as you will know where to start looking for your dream bear ,retired like myself have an advantage over non retired people sometimes it is good to be retired in a case like yours LOL...

Ron.C
05-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Ron is there any way you can go back for a week to try to get your bear ??? less snow as you will know where to start looking for your dream bear ,retired like myself have an advantage over non retired people sometimes it is good to be retired in a case like yours LOL...

Man I wish. I could have my kit packed and ready to go in an hour!!!!!I'd love to, but don't think I can swing it.

pappy
05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Good pics, I just got back from 5 days hunting in 7-54 for grizz. It was just me and my choco lab, I never connected either. I hunted there in the fall and seen lots of grizz up high, I too found still to much snow where I wanted to hunt. I hunted down low and only seen black bears and one set of grizz tracks. Its good to see you got out and enjoyed the country, theres always next time. Thats what I'm leaning on and putting in for a fall tag.