PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from spring bear hunting

mikeboehm
05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
It was unsuccessful in getting a bear. Only saw 4 including 1 monster. All 4 bolted like lighting when they saw me. Ive never hunted them in the spring. Why are they so scared this early. Saw a moose cow, 20 mt goat and 200 + deer. So all is not wasted. I was successful in finding a great area to hunt mulies in the fall

Barracuda
05-20-2012, 05:28 PM
you could have been in a heavy pressure area and as more people hunt them the more elusive they become like any prey species. also the yahoos have been out in force scareing the bejesus outta every critter in the woods so thier nerves are perhaps a bit frazzled from dodgeing quads and pickups :lol:

goatdancer
05-20-2012, 05:47 PM
You must be one scary dude to put the run on the bears :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

TheProvider
05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
plenty of ppl using the roads in the spring, not to mention prolly a few hunters taking pot shots at them. Rut should be coming soon which may help getting close, boars will be searching for sows

mikeboehm
05-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I went with my boss and he knows people that live in the area and they arent seeing bears either. The area i went my boss has been going for years for mulies and always gets a 4 point in november. It has very little hunting pressure. He finally showed me after working for him for 8 years. And no im not telling you sorry.

P.s. My boss is the VP of the BCWF lower mainland

Barracuda
05-20-2012, 07:23 PM
by the sounds of it you are seeing bears but they are not sitting there holding a sign that say "shoot me" .

Im gonna bet there is either more traffic ,pressure or perhaps competition for territory from other predators then you realized. bears like most animals become skittish for a reason .

TheProvider
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
and mature bears are just like mature deer, they don't stick around long. a bear thats 4-5yrs old has seen and learnt alot in that time and would still be far from fully grown and being a bruiser

NaStY
05-21-2012, 12:18 AM
You just need the right wind. They can hear and smell you a mile away. Eye sight is another thing.................

hunter1947
05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Not all was a loss you scouted while hunting for a bear we don't get what we are after at times but have a nice time doing what we love to do ,next time you might get what your looking for ,good luck next time http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png...

5 spike
05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
[QUOTE=mikeboehm;1151804]It was unsuccessful in getting a bear. Only saw 4 including 1 monster. All 4 bolted like lighting when they saw me. Ive never hunted them in the spring. Why are they so scared this early. Saw a moose cow, 20 mt goat and 200 + deer. So all is not wasted. I was successful in finding a great area to hunt mulies in the fall[/QUOTE

Thats the great thing about spring bear hunting your looking for bear and scouting new fall deer hunting areas, sounds like you had a great trip.

mikeboehm
05-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Had a blast out there. I only took my bow so i wasnt too disapointed on not getting a bear. I am missing eating bear pepperoni though. Im holding off until i see a blonde black bear. I have a 6.5' black bear rug and a 5'10" cinnamon bear rug. I was just wondering why they are so scared in the spring. I find in the fall they dont take off and i can get up close to them. I shot my cinnamon in princeton 2 years ago with my rifle at 20 yards

TheProvider
05-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Had a blast out there. I only took my bow so i wasnt too disapointed on not getting a bear. I am missing eating bear pepperoni though. Im holding off until i see a blonde black bear. I have a 6.5' black bear rug and a 5'10" cinnamon bear rug. I was just wondering why they are so scared in the spring. I find in the fall they dont take off and i can get up close to them. I shot my cinnamon in princeton 2 years ago with my rifle at 20 yards

Less food early spring as things slowly green up. Makes for some competition over food. How was the greenery there? Could be quite a few bears competing for the food in that spot and if they mistaked you for the dominant bear they won't stick around long. When your out hunting watch how the bears are feeding. If there very causious and keep surveying their surroundings their prolly worried about the "big guy" coming along and giving them a smack.

With the rut coming up you might have better luck getting closer if you wear a black jacket as they might mistake you for a bear. Be for warned though and hunters not verify there target.

Remember bears don't normally run too far. If they get a wiff of you when your up close and personal game over but if they see you or hear you then they don't normally run to far. Alot of times if they haven't smelt you then they try to circle around you and try to figure out what you are. I've had this happpen to me a few times and once the bear is outta sight I'll move back and circle towards the spot I last seen them. Moving slowly more often then not I catch them trying to circle around my original postion.

Carrying a mouth blown predator call is always handy