http://www.newarchery.com/images/catalog/49/main.jpg

http://www.newarchery.com/images/catalog/50/main.jpg

What are your thoughts on these?

pronghorn
05-19-2012, 04:24 PM
I think they would be to hard to touch up the sharping

springpin
05-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Exactly! How would you re-sharpen those?

TheProvider
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
You can resharpen serrated knifes so you must be able to do these but is it worth it? With pass-thru shots, would there be any benefit to a serrated edge? I don't think so the only advantage i would see is if the broadhead was still inside the animal and would do some damage. I'll stick with non-serrated broadheads

Bowzone_Mikey
05-20-2012, 08:30 AM
They look cool .... but bleed energy on pass thru ... these are not new to the market ... They are a PITA to resharpen ... thats why most just replace the blades.

The marketing hype circa 2000 ish was that serated blades cut bone better ...

Personally I not a big fan of NAP products anyway ... I seem to recall that NAP put these out 12 years ago ... I havent seen them for a while .(not that I been looking all that hard)... are they making a comeback ?

Riverbc
05-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Not just NAP, selling serrated blades....couple more...just to name a few.

Magnus

Steel Force

Bow Walker
05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Marketing ploy/gimmick. As has been said, they've been around before. I can't see them cutting bone any better that non-serrated blades - it's the Trocar tip that'll shatter or punch through the bone - so if they want more money for them they better not hold their breath where I'm concerned.

BTW, of the two examples shown I'd definitely prefer the replaceable blade over the mech.

pale rider
05-21-2012, 05:50 AM
all the new desighns,and ideas in my opinon cant beat the origonal broadheads,why bother,the first flint arrow heads did the job,you can not inprove on perfection,and my perfection is a woodsman broadhead.

Brambles
05-21-2012, 08:06 AM
I shot a bear with Magnus stinger buzzcuts with bleeders, they have serrated portions of the blades. Not sure what part of the package did it but the blood trail was amazing.

Most bows on the market have more than enough energy to bury the arrow in the dirt after a complete passthrough, serrations or not.

I'm guessing the serrations are cutting a more ragged hole that doesn't close up as cleanly and therefore provides better channels for the blood to exit the body.!!

willyqbc
05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't think it is the intended purpose of the serrations, but for a head like the magnus buzzcut above, the serrations actually strengthen the blade by increasing the amount of surface area to absorb shock etc.

Whoa!!!.....look at that.....apprenticeship schooling trade science actually coming in handy.....who'd a thunk it!!!

Chris

Bow Walker
05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I shot a bear with Magnus stinger buzzcuts with bleeders, they have serrated portions of the blades. Not sure what part of the package did it but the blood trail was amazing.

Most bows on the market have more than enough energy to bury the arrow in the dirt after a complete passthrough, serrations or not.

I'm guessing the serrations are cutting a more ragged hole that doesn't close up as cleanly and therefore provides better channels for the blood to exit the body.!!

Brambles - the part that did the job was your shot placement - not the blades. Well OK, maybe the extra bleeder blades cut a bigger hole than regular broadheads, but it wasn't the serration.

It's something like the idea of adding up all the blade lengths and coming up with a number like "6 inches of cutting surface!" to promote one product over another.....

JMHO.

Brambles
05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
A friend of mine shot a 20" interior blackbear with a magnus traditional 2 blade with his compound. The hole closed right up, didn't leak a spot of blood and the shot was perfect and at 8 yards, ran a ways and piled up. It happens occasionally where you can get the best shot possible and still no blood. Hell it happened to me with a rifle, 25 yard shot, with a 270win. Thought I'd missed, started tracking it to try and get a second shot. Then all of a sudden there it was laying dead about 60 yards away.

Bow Walker
05-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah, bears are notoriously tough to get a decent blood trail out of - what with their thick coats and their unwillingness to realize that they are, in fact, dead on their feet......

When all is said and done - if a particular broadhead works for any given shooter, that's the given broadhead of choice for that particular shooter.

I can be quoted on that little gem....8) ;-)

bochunk2000
05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
To quote a hunting partner...
When all is said and done - if a particular broadhead works for any given shooter, that's the given broadhead of choice for that particular shooter

I am still using Muzzy 3 blade 125 gr Broad heads. Some may think the out dates or whatever but you know what? Everthing I put them into dies. Good holes, most are passthroughs and those that arent absolutely shatter any bone they come in contact with. That Trocar tip has done its work several times. I can not see changing what works. So whatever you find that kills fast, hits where you aim it, and doesn't let you down use it.

Steve

Bowzone_Mikey
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
those are awesome BHs Steve ....if they work ... then dont change

Brambles
05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
my buzzcuts are hitting low and left so they are getting tabled,

but my Slick tricks are right on to 30 yards, after that I need to use my 40 yard pin to hit 35 yards. I think the 4 blade resistance is slowing then down over the longer shots.

The slick tricks seem to have an easier time going through my target then the serrated buzzcuts.

bugler
05-21-2012, 08:46 PM
A clean cut bleeds better for longer than a ragged one. Can't really see how you would sharpen them either.

BCrams
05-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Next time you're cutting steaks or tenderloins, use one of those expensive fancy serrated knife blades (the kind that can slice a tomato cleanly).

I tried just that because the serrated was easiest to reach and use on a moose tenderloin this afternoon thinking I could get the silver skin off easily and I ended up using my fileting knife instead ...... based on that I would asume straight smooth edge would be better!

Pioneerman
05-21-2012, 09:12 PM
When I sharpen my knives the smooth edge is always sharper than any serrated I have in the block, but I could see them being good at cutting through shoulder blades, and if not pass through, would it not be more cutting edge moving around in a running animal ?

StoneChaser
05-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Not sure about the NAP, but the Magnus Buzzcuts are killing machines in my experience.

Bow Walker
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
my buzzcuts are hitting low and left so they are getting tabled,

but my Slick tricks are right on to 30 yards, after that I need to use my 40 yard pin to hit 35 yards. I think the 4 blade resistance is slowing then down over the longer shots.

The slick tricks seem to have an easier time going through my target then the serrated buzzcuts.

I've used Slick Tricks for a long time now and my bow shoots them like field points - out to 50 yards. That's the furthest that I could shoot into the broadhead pit without standing in the parking lot and shooting past parked cars (not a good idea).

Yes there are 4 blades, but the skeletonized design offers very little wind resistance during flight. I think it is more to do with the speed of the bow than the design of the b'head. My bow only shoots 260 fps (on a good day) so my guess is that the slower speed helps in the flight characteristics.............whoops, did I just contradict myself?? :confused:

Maybe if your bow shoots in the 300's then wind-planing is a factor....or - any slight imperfections in the building of your arrows only shows up at distance? How fast is your setup? Do you spin-test your shafts when building them? Do you spin-test the finished arrow to make sure it's not wobbly on either end? Just wondering if my ideas are out in left field here.....