PDA

View Full Version : Stave Lake

dropshot
05-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Was just out testing an aluminum car-topper (Lund Style) on Stave lake . I was not fishing but just out for the day trying out the boat.
Does any one fish that lake and if you do, do you fish the lower end or the upper end? What species of fish does it hold and what are the best techniques to fish it
I'm not a fly fisherman so would it be better fished with spoons, spinners or gang troll with worms, all trolled or would it be better to pick a shoreline and fish from shore off the bottom or the top with float. Any info appreciated
I have been in the lower mainland since the 70's but never fished Stave or realized the size of it.

Paulyman
05-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I've always found fishing in front of inflow streams to be very productive with trolling lures.

coach
05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Coyote spoons or apex in the four inch size are the ticket for bows, cutthroat, and some huge dolly varden. My biggest dolly was around 18 pounds (released) and I had a mount done of my daughter's first fish - a 13 pounder caught on her rod when he was 2 1/2. (ok - maybe I helped a bit! Lol). The Kokanee in the lake are small and most of the bigger fish have one or two in their stomachs. Imitate them aand you'll do well. As Paulyman said - fish anywhere there's current flowing into the lake. Be very cautious of wind and deadheads - stave can get nasty quick.

scoutlt1
05-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Coyote spoons or apex in the four inch size are the ticket for bows, cutthroat, and some huge dolly varden. My biggest dolly was around 18 pounds (released) and I had a mount done of my daughter's first fish - a 13 pounder caught on her rod when he was 2 1/2. (ok - maybe I helped a bit! Lol). The Kokanee in the lake are small and most of the bigger fish have one or two in their stomachs. Imitate them aand you'll do well. As Paulyman said - fish anywhere there's current flowing into the lake. Be very cautious of wind and deadheads - stave can get nasty quick.

That's great advice right there.
Troll near the creek mouths, but definitely keep aware of both the deadheads and the wind.
I used to fish the north end and hiked lots of the area there. The weather can come up really fast without much warning.
There are some big fish in there though for sure!

Bpower
05-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Excellent for Squaw fishing in there as well.

dropshot
05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for those that replied. I will let you know how I make out when I go try it out

coach
05-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Good luck out there, dropshot. Fishing should be good for a couple more weeks. It seems to slow down once the lake reaches full height.