PDA

View Full Version : Called RAPP! Green Heads Season?

Mulehahn
05-19-2012, 12:59 PM
I went to the pet store this morning to pick up some food for my dog and as I am walking in two the store there is an old beat up ford with to buckets of dead mallards in the back. All males. I was like what the F**K. There is no season on that I can figure. I walked around the store but could not see any one I thought would own the truck. Unless it was some older ladies, or kids with their mom. There is a vet in the pet store to so I figured something happened to his dog. With the ducks on nests now and some starting to moult, I know you can pretty much walk up to them and just grab them. Anyways, I called the RAPP line with the licence plate number. See what happens. My question is, Is this guy the dumbest poacher ever? At least throw a blanket over them when you are in a busy parking lot, or I am unaware of a legitimate reason to someone would have six or so ducks this time of year.

Bighorn hunter
05-19-2012, 01:02 PM
domestic?

BH

Recordram
05-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Could have been a dog trainer with dead ducks he uses for training. Could have been shot in season, frozen, defrosted and using this weekend. Could be for a hunt as well. You never know.

pnbrock
05-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Sure hope you didn't interupt my dogs training today. My trainer is working hard on makin my dog birdie!!

warnniklz
05-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Had faily members that raised domestic mallards a few years ago

RENO
05-19-2012, 08:05 PM
These situations are tricky do you call or not? I think take a few pics with your phone of the birds or animal, and the vehicle and plate, then approach the person and see what kind of reaction or response you get, then go fro there? That's what I would do, just saying not judging.

MuleyMadness
05-19-2012, 08:24 PM
I think it's right to call. If it turns out to be a legit reason, then no harm, no fowl (I know, it's a bad pun). If it turns out to be illegal activity, then maybe it will get them to think twice next time.

Marc
05-19-2012, 09:45 PM
If the birds were in buckets chances are these were training birds. There is a hunt test coming up shortly. Another observation is that 80% of dog trainers are women, so you should have been looking for a woman not a man.

lorneparker1
05-20-2012, 06:54 AM
I think it's right to call. If it turns out to be a legit reason, then no harm, no fowl (I know, it's a bad pun). If it turns out to be illegal activity,
then maybe it will get
them to think twice next time.

X2

Lorne

crazy ducker
05-20-2012, 07:24 AM
right call let the co's sort it out. A greenhead won't sit an a nest. they are like a guy from surrey, once the screwing is over then they leave the female to deal with the kids

Big Lew
05-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Agree with "Marc"s assessment....when I was training my labs, it was easy to get mallards from farms. I also used some 'call' mallards that were raised on our farm. A former Mayoralty candidate for Maple Ridge supposedly had a license to feed waterfowl on his Albion property and he would give people 'naturally dead' birds for training or for 'fly tying' material, along with a signed paper as such.

Foxton Gundogs
05-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Could have been a dog trainer with dead ducks he uses for training. Could have been shot in season, frozen, defrosted and using this weekend. Could be for a hunt as well. You never know.

That would be my take on it a trainer or game master of a dog club or training group. I keep frozen birds for training and pass extras on th the local retriever club as do my partners.Beeing out in public and in buckets makes me think it is probably legit.

Jeff88
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
i disagree ,calling on every little thing we see is just a waste of time..a bunch of ducks in a bucket in the back of a pickup,could be many different reasons and you assume the worst ...

springpin
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
And what if it was the worst...

Jeff88
05-20-2012, 08:30 PM
And what if it was the worst...

you could look at alota tings in life that way ,but then you wouldnt have faith in anything or anybody.....

springpin
05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
But, if it was poaching..

Jeff88
05-20-2012, 09:16 PM
But, if it was poaching..

and you no that ????????? your assuming that

springpin
05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
And you know that it wasn't? your also assuming.

Jagermeister
05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
You did the right thing by calling it in.
Let the person with the birds explain why they are there. And if it is a trainer, next time they will be more cognizant of how they handle and display the birds in public view.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is a goof.

Jeff88
05-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Sorry. My bad

Jagermeister
05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
anyone who calls a guy a goof deserves a good ole fashion beat down...
Anybody that turns a blind eye to what may be a crimminal act, is a goof. Plain and simple.
No matter what the situation is, if it is abnormal, call it in. Crimminals want us to turn away so that they can continue their activities un-impeded. And let's face it, they can be pretty brazen in their unlawful conduct.
At least call the authorities, let them sort it out.

Mulehahn
05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
I stand behind calling. Very well could have been training his dogs. Or he could have been poaching. If I want duck, this time of year is a hell of alot easier and cheaper than buying decoys, a gun, shells, camo and a licence. Just walk up and break there necks. Plus they haven't been eating fish eggd for the last few months so probably taste better. Also, it was an old rusty mid 80's ford F250. No company logos or anything to suggest it was a professional trainer. I fully support people training there dogs, and apologize, that never crossed my mind. But if you are going to do it with real bird out of season and leave them in plain sight I will call it in and let the co's sort it out. If it were me and someone called the co on me I would welcome the visit and explain what was happening. Atleast I would know someone saw something unusual and cared enough to call. I would much rather have that then know I could do as I please and know no one will say a damn thing. That being said, I hope someone was just training their dog and that they had a fun weekend.

Matty_ola
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Call it in, That is after all what RAPP was designed for isn't it?

WaderGator
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I say call it in. If they were for/from legitimate circumstances the person might even appreciate that other hunters are looking out for that stuff.

f350ps
05-21-2012, 04:33 PM
If it were me in that situation I think I would have hung around for a bit to see if the driver returned and just asked them about them, probably to easy though and way less drama! K