PDA

View Full Version : How are often are you checked?

Mulehahn
05-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, it finally happened! I was actually asked for my BC fishing licence. I have been fishing regularly throughout this province for over 25 years and last night was the first time I was asked to produce a licence. Not a big deal, I always bye one, and the cop (it was RCMP) was great. He was joking with my nephew, and was very friendly, but still. Close to 26 years is along time. I fish fairly often, not as hardcore as some guys I know but at least 2-3 weekend trips a year plus I have no idea how many outings to local lakes and rivers after work, or crabbing and other adventures that I do when I cant sleep and the tide is right. I have run into C/O's while fishing, but not once has one asked to see my licence, just talked a bit and was told good luck. When I was fishing in Alaska I was checked 4 times in 3 days. I have also been checked in California, Florida, Texas, Alberta and others. And those were when I was only there a week at most, not living and playing there all year. This raises the question, I am I just lucky or is this a common experience? How often have people on here been asked to produce their licence?

TPB
05-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I've been checked 4 times in 3 years but twice was on the same day... mind you I was under 16 and didn't require a license, the CO was just more impressed that a bunch of 15/16 year old kids were out camping and fishing by themselves

Whonnock Boy
05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Unfortunately, I think your experience is par for the course. With both fishing and hunting I am lucky if I get checked once every year. In the last ten years I have probably averaged 75 to 100 days out on the water, and in the bush. Could be one of the reasons why there is so much poaching going on.

421fighter
05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Twice in 60 years. Dave

05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
30 years in BC and l think l have been asked twice for fishing license and maybe a dozen times for my hunting license.

Paulyman
05-19-2012, 02:05 AM
I only get checked after sleeping with something that is a little on the dodgy side

The Dude
05-19-2012, 04:25 AM
3-4 times in 16 years.

5 spike
05-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Last time was summer of 96 or 97.

RENO
05-19-2012, 06:57 AM
I see CO's every year hunting and fishing, I and who ever I am out with are always quick to oblige and we are back on are way.
Have your info at hand, be polite and it's quicker than you can imagine, nice to see them out there, and pleasant to talk to.

Tikka270wsm
05-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Almost every year for me. But I also fish the Cowichan pretty hard for Steelies and Nitinat for springs. Heavy CO and Fisheries presence on those two rivers so odds are good of getting asked to produce a licence and having your gear inspected.

MRP
05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
fish or hunt check in 40+ years 4 or 5 times

boxhitch
05-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Twice at roadside checks, once at the boat launch, once at a fly-in lake. in 20+ years

swamper
05-23-2012, 07:25 AM
No more than 10 times in the past 35 years. All but one were pleasant encounters. The one was a dickhead with and attitude. Not a good type to be dealing with the public.

swamper
05-23-2012, 07:26 AM
No more than 10 times in the past 35 years. All but one were pleasant encounters. The one was a dickhead with an attitude. Not a good type to be dealing with the public.

Ddog
05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
i get checked up here in the Kootenays at least once a year, but mind you the river doesn't have the pressure of some on the coast or other places so getting checked here is a regular occurrence.
Hunting, once a year her for the past 6 years.
on the coast and other places maybe once every 4- 7 yrs.

300H&H
05-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Never !

I have been fishing for over 35 years.

I do buy my lic. so Im always safe.

anglo-saxon
05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Twice in 21 years. Once by Alberta Fish and Wildlife officers NW of Calgary in the mid 90's. They were good to go. Decent guys. Once by a BC Parks officer near Vanderhoof. He came down to the camp site and shot the breeze for half an hour. Him checking our licenses was more of an afterthought. Again, a good experience. I've had other contact with wildlife officer types, but only checked twice. I always have a chat with them and try to give as good an impression as I can. I figure if I can improve their day a little bit by being friendly, then the next person they come across and interract with will benefit from that.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Fishing? Maybe twice in my life.
Hunting-maybe 4 times in 22 yrs. Went over 15 yrs without getting checked and finally got checked 2 yrs ago. Told the CO that I was glad to finally see a CO where I hunt.

SSS

05-23-2012, 09:51 AM
I tried to count in my head how many times ive been checked in 20+ years,,,,, maybe 5-6. Ac ouple guys stopped my wife, Dad and I on a fly only river. They had been watching some guys spinner fish up river and they had been watching us as well..... Them guys were sneaky, i still have no idea where they were watching us from. the direction the approached us was right off and no where near the river.... But they didnt even "Check" us. They saw our gear and just asked us if we had our liscenses. we said yes and they left.

500grhollowpoint
05-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Fishing for 10 + years, 44 days on the water last year, never checked.

Islandbowhunter
05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
I remember having a couple of conversations, but never had to produce the license. Maybe the CO's figure they can deduce from the conversation whether to ask for paper or not?

I would like to see more of our resources dedicated to protecting our resources. Not more taxes, but appropriately allocating the money that's there.

The hunting reg's themselves seem reasonable for the most part, but enforcement is lacking.

Leaseman
05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Down in the LML, on the muddy Fraser, I get checked (lately full boat check) at least 3-4 times a year by the federals (below Mission)... no non-sense boys and girls and don't like small talk. Above Mission usually once or twice a year (CO's) who love to gab......

CO hunting checks, not once in the last several years, before that 2-3 times a year, every year!!

guywitha270
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Not once in 37 years.

gitnadoix
05-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Hunting ...once in 45 years......but I tend ot hunt away from the crowds......Fishing ...come to think of it......it has never happened and again I tend to be off from the maddening crowds.......and the rumour is that is going to get even less frequent as DFO is closing 5 Offices in BC.....Primeminister must need a new summer home I guess...

The Hermit
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I've been checked a couple times out in Sooke for fishing license and maybe three times hunting. One of those times we were way the hell and gone off road and bumped into a CO... I told him how happy I was to see him out on the trail, he was pleased at that kind of response.

d6dan
05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
I was checked once and that was in 1993 by a CO from Fernie. I had a good family friend along for a hunt who just happened to be a Retired CO. I've never been checked fishing.