PDA

View Full Version : Wolf hunting near Creston?

BearSupreme
05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Hey everyone, Im new to the kootenays, just moved out here from Vancouver Island. Just wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a good spot to look for wolves? Thanks in advance!

swampthing
05-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I dont have a specific wolf spot but you moved to some fine country. I worked through the area for a lot of years and enjoyed exploring the mountains through there. Have fun.

BearSupreme
05-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Ya I see there is NBL for another month! Should i be looking in the mountains or anywhere in paticular? Id assume they would follow the snow line like other animals..

jtred
05-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey bearsupreme I was out looking for wolves/coyotes in the winter and I heard wolves quite close to me up Kidd creek past the gun range. I parked on Loss creek spur and heard them out somewhere across the powerlines. I've also run across lots of sign up Goat river fsr and further up Kidd creek east fsr. To tell you the truth I'd say they are all over the place, up Mahon fsr out past Yahk I've heard them, a logger I know says they are a real problem up Goatfell(I don't know first hand as I've never been up there). It sure is a good excuse to get out and explore anyhow. So did you get out for turkey here in the valley or did you miss the season?

BearSupreme
05-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I missed the season unfortunately, Im still in the process of moving right now. Ill be in Creston in mid june, so there might not be time for wolf this year, hopefully ill get to smack a bear before the end of June though! Thanks for the tips!

stainz
05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
theres a mess of wolf up the Goat far back into skelly creek, stump flats is good right outside town and mahon is good up in yahk but its a road closure. they are pretty much everywhere. even right up foster top of goat mountain or back into big bear up arrow creek. kill them all, lots of room in hell for the wolfs

BearSupreme
05-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Is the best way to set up a bait trap? or does a predator call work good for these guys?

jtred
05-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I think a bait in the winter would be the way to go, they are very difficult(for me anyhow) to hunt on snowshoes with any degree of success. I would hesitate to put out bait now though, bears (grizzly bears too) are out and I would not feel comfortable going into a bait site. I have seen video on youtube of hunters successfully using predator calls and elk/deer calls. Once again be prepared to have other larger visitors in this season lots of hunters inadvertently call in grizz and cougar while calling elk or deer.

BearSupreme
05-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Good call about grizzlies. Ive yet to deal with these brutes, having lived on vancouver island most of my life. Im also new to using a predator call, it looks pretty intense because you have no idea what is running up on you. I guess the best way is to be out in the open so you can see all around you, or maybe have your back against something that nothing can get behind you, eh?