PDA

View Full Version : Success on a Grizz Hunt, Finally!

TSW
05-18-2012, 12:59 AM
On May 10th BCbillies, 6 K and I headed out for 5 days of grizzly bear bliss. All went according to plan on the way in to our camping spot, aside from the standard “whoops I think I forgot to bring a...” that seems to happen from time to time. On our way in we spotted a very large griz just outside of our zone. Even though it was tempting to stay and admire, we decided to move on...we had business to attend to. We arrived at our planned location a little after 7:00pm and after unloading our gear 6K offered to set up camp while BCbillies and I went for an evening hunt. We slipped into the canoe and started paddling. Within an hour, we had our first grizz spotted. He was walking towards us on a tidal flat, but hadn’t seen us, and there was a gentle wind in our favor. It was on. We landed the canoe and pulled it up securely. There was a small strip of eerie looking trees between us and the bear. After carefully surveying the scene we decided that we would slowly make our way to an opening in the trees where we would gain a large vantage and hopefully a good look at this bear. As we made our way through the clearing, there was no sign of the bear, but as we continued we realized there was a gulley just past the trees that we weren’t aware of. As we cautiously made our way towards the gulley, the ground was not bad, but just a little noisier than we would like. Still, we had to keep moving because we were losing light. We were about 25 yards away from the gulley when we heard splashing. It was show time. The bear walked out quartering away from us. He looked lanky, which isn’t abnormal at this time of year, and was a nice light brown color and after about a second or two I set up and told BCbillies, I’m gonna take him. Gun up, crosshairs on, safety off, and then I hesitated. I thought “don’t rush this, just take a quick look and make he’s not rubbed.” After all, we had 300 yards in any direction for him to cover before he would be out of sight. Just as I hesitated, he turned and walked straight away from us, leaving us with only a view of his derriere. CRAP! I hesitated and lost my opportunity. That seemed to be my lot when it came to g-bears. I have had safety off on a number of bears over the last 7 or 8 years and inevitably something goes wrong...chalk up another one that would haunt me year round as I lay awake at night wishing I would have squeezed.

May 11th, the three of us carefully explored all day, and didn’t see a bear. We did, however, see some tracks. Upon seeing the footprints in the sand, we all agreed...THAT is what we’re talking about! The pad was 8” across—presumably a 9’+bear. After going for a walk for a few hours and sitting and waiting for the evening, we passed by where we had seen the tracks, only to notice that while we were gone, he had returned. Fresh tracks were there almost taunting us. All we could do was laugh as the stuff he walked into was thick and loud.

May 12th 6K decided to gain some altitude and get a better vantage to see if he could lead us to a bear. BCbillies and I set out in the canoe. Minutes after we left camp, we were onto a bear. This time a nice blonde looking bear. We set up for an hour and he came out again a few hundred yards away, but in the end we never got a chance at him. 6 K didn’t see much and so we all returned to camp late morning. BCbillies went for a hike, while 6 K and I decided to set up the crab traps and check on the boat. A ½ hour job turned into 5 hours of work. With the tide going out the rocks were covered in slick vegetation. I slipped and slid down a big rock and fell into the ocean. On my way down I opted to literally throw my gun into the boat instead of having it come for a swim. Great. New dings on the stock, and scrapes on the scope made left me wondering how badly my scope was knocked. We had no choice but to test it. So, between that, and a few other things that seemed to go wrong, it was clear that it was one of those days. Sometimes that can turn out to be a good thing.

We went out for an evening hunt. BCbillies went up to a better vantage and 6 K and I went and set up in the tidal flats and watch for something to come out. And of course, we had our “eye in the sky” ready to tip us off. At about 7:45pm we received word. There was a big griz out. It was in a terrible location for us, and after a few minutes, he stuck his nose in the air and wandered into the timber. We moved locations slightly to account for the wind. After a few minutes we received another word. Another g-bear. This time in a good location. We were on the move, but with the wind blowing at our backs, it seemed pointless. Still, we continued, expecting to hear any second that the bear had bolted. Then, almost on cue, the radio came alive again. The message though was unexpected. “Screw that bear, I got a bigger one for you—turn around!” We made our move and the stalk was on. We canoed our way roughly 400 yards at which point we gently beached the canoe and climbed up to a huge tree root. There he was. He was not a small bear. He was big and dark. I had seen enough. I would not let this opportunity slip away. 6 K and I set up. The bear was about 185 yards away and quartering towards us. I clicked my safety off. I had been here before. But this time it would end differently. One squeeze of the300wm’s trigger, and it was on. Bear down. Sweet. Then...bear up. 6 K’s 338 then went off. Bear down. Then, again, bear up, clearly damaged by 2 direct shoulder shots. I shot again, bear down...and up. I shot again, down. In the end we shot this bruin 6 times, all of which were revealed to be on target, kill shots...they are just tough animals. Wow. We slowly made our way to him and there was no ground shrinkage. He was a big dark boar. Some thanks were given and some time was spent just admiring the impressive creature. Finally, after years of hunting, my first grizzly tag was cut. What a great feeling. We made it back to camp at 12:30 a.m. Dinner and stories until 2 a.m. and it was lights out, but there was no chance I would sleep for quite some time. I’d been kept awake by the replaying of grizzly bear hunts many times in the past, but this time it was for a different reason completely.

This was a trip of a lifetime that I will never forget. Thanks to two great friends for their selfless commitment to helping this dream come to fruition.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMGP0044-1.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMGP0027.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMGP0028.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMGP0030.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMGP0066.jpg

hunter1947
05-18-2012, 01:20 AM
That boar you guys got is one big bear your story and pictures tell it all ,congrats to you and your partners on making this hunt come real ,will make the B&C for sure http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png..

fireguy
05-18-2012, 01:24 AM
That is a very nice bear, congrats, brings back memories of my own.

cavebear
05-18-2012, 01:34 AM
congrats great story and one awsome bear :)

Buck
05-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Great bear congrats !!!

375 ultramag
05-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Way to go guys. Great story and one Beauty of a bear. CONGRATS.

MB_Boy
05-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Very nice!!!

Where on the coast was this as it sounds as though you boated in?

kennyj
05-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Congratulations on an Awesome grizzly. Big dark bruiser. Loved the story.
kenny

fearnodeer
05-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Man what a beast you got there, congats.

GoatGuy
05-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Looks like a dandy, nice job.

gerrygoat
05-18-2012, 06:17 AM
That's a nice bear TSW, congrats on everything finally coming together for you. He was a bear worth waiting for that's for sure. Those paws look huge are they the ones that left the 8" tracks?

sherpa-Al
05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Beauty Bear, Congrats!. Gotta love those tidal flats!

Al.

Tikka270wsm
05-18-2012, 07:00 AM
That is a stud of a grizz! Looks like he has a huge melon on him. Did you take any measurements yet?

ThinAir
05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Congrats man!

Anyone who knows your "Griz journey" knows you deserve it. Alot of blood,sweat,tears and years to get it done!

That is a beast of a bruin.

gerrygoat
05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Your new avatar? :)

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMGP0028.jpg

gbear
05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Wow! Congrats on a very nice bear! And a great write up

RENO
05-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Very Nice, congrats on a safe and successful hunt of a lifetime.

coach
05-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Awesome bear. Well told story. Great pictures! It's what HBC is all about. Congratulations on a successful hunt and thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.

swampthing
05-18-2012, 07:40 AM
What a hog. I actually saw those pics on a guys phone here in pg yesterday. Great hunt. Having partners named "6k" and "bcbillies" cant hurt either.

d6dan
05-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Heck of a 1st G Bear TSW. Beautiful chocolate hide on him. :-D Good for those buddies of yours for helping you fulfill your hunt. Congrats guys.

Call of the Wild
05-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Awesome story thanks for sharing!!!! That's one nice looking dark grizzly good job.

Mik
05-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Thats what hunting is all about.....good friends and a bear in the end. Great story, thanks for sharing and Congrats.

SHAKER
05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Thats a good o'l lumpy bear! I can't wait back out hunt'n now.

Rackmastr
05-18-2012, 08:09 AM
What an awesome bear.

I'd love to draw a spring grizz LEH next year as it will be my first year applying. Hope to put in a 10 day stretch and kill myself a bear. What a dream...

whitetailsheds
05-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Love that 3rd photo....what a mitt that is!! Thanks for posting!

trigger
05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
thats a great story to go with a great bear. congrats guys. did you guys end up getting any crab??

GrandA
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
jealous good story too

srupp
05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
great bear great friends great lifelong memories..

well done..

srupp

elker
05-18-2012, 10:22 AM
6 shots fired. that is another testimony that heavy bullets and big bores are the best solution for grizzlies

Great story. I will put my draw for next season with 9.3 ready

Scuba_Dave
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
That is one heck of a bear right there!! Congrats on your first G bear! Amazing story, glad it finally all came together for you!

Dave

rifleman
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
That's a real brute. congrats on your success.

Caribou_lou
05-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Beauty grizzly! I also talked to someone that was hunting the coast who also had seen a large boar just outside their zone. It was a father and son. Was that you they met?

proguide66
05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Holy crapola!!...what a hoot !!! sweet bear.

Tikka270
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
The picture of the paw is crazy! I also vote that for your new avatar. Beauty bear, congrats!

BearStump
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Awesome bear!!! My dream too. I'll wait paitently for my turn. Where were you hunting? central coast? interior? North coast?

BCrams
05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Terrific bear!! Great account of the hunt!!

wicket
05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
terrific bear congrats on it and your total experience with success and good friends. good right up too \m/ !!!

Gateholio
05-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Great story and great bear!

I especially like the bouncing bear part of it! ;)

6 K
05-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Your welcome buddy.
Helping a friend achieve his dream was a great way to spend ones' 40th birthday.
O.K. B.C. Billies time for your story.

Rams-head
05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Very cool! great bear!

kayjayess
05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Unreal bear. That is one for the books. Congratulations to you. It goes to show what hard work, determination, and lastly patience will get you. What an amazing Grizz.

Hammerhead
05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
That's a great bear and a great memory of a hunting adventure with some good friends. That's what lots of guys dream of right there. Good job on the recap of the hunt and thanks for sharing
HH

gutpile
05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Great bear and great story i can just see that hunt in my minds eye
question... would that bear be consider a brown bear or kodak bear
if shot in BC ?

Duk Dog
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Holy crap look at the feet on that thing! Congrats on a dandy bear.

Ambush
05-18-2012, 06:17 PM
WOW!! Awesome bear! Congratulations.
If your going to wait several years to get one, you might as well make it a show-stopper.

And I vote for the "paw pic" as your new avatar as well. That's a very cool and impressive picture.

StoneChaser
05-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Awesome man....Congrats on an amazing bear!

Rockin' the QCI Movember would have made for a great pic though!

nap
05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
AWWWW!!!! poor little bear, ha ha ha!!! Great job and thanks for sharing it, Congrats, lots of us hope for one of those draws. Glad you were successful.

Tenacious Billy
05-18-2012, 07:03 PM
This is the kind of stuff that's worth reading!! Great story, great pics and some wicked memories. Congrats TSW on a hard earned beauty!!!

Wrj
05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
What a dandy! Congrats to you, what a memory!!!

Skull Hunter
05-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Look at the mitt on that thing! Awesome bear and great story!

showtime
05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
either you are 4'5" and 87# or thats a huge bear!!! wow, congrats man.

TheProvider
05-18-2012, 07:48 PM
congrats, nice bear indeed

TSW
05-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

That's a nice bear TSW, congrats on everything finally coming together for you. He was a bear worth waiting for that's for sure. Those paws look huge are they the ones that left the 8" tracks?

Hey Gerry, this actually was not the same bear as the one leaving those freakish tracks. As far as I know that boy is still walking around!

todbartell
05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
not bad for a grizzly

chilcotin hillbilly
05-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Cranker bear boys!! Nice work.

MattW
05-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Beautiful bear and a great story, congrats guys

Brambles
05-18-2012, 10:12 PM
bloody big bear by the looks of them there paws, nice work.

BCbillies
05-19-2012, 01:55 AM
This trip had all the makings for good things to happen . . . disorganized confusion on my part as I didn't commit and start packing until the night before departure. I relied heavily on 6K and TSW to make this trip a go for me as I was in all regards not prepared. It took only a few hours into the trip to confirm that I had made the right decision to join the boys. This decision was second guessed later that evening when I was solo with the canoe loaded full of gear and stuck on the mud flats with the tide dropping! The "roar" eminating from the flats in the dark was enough for my partners to get a deep pit inside about a possible grizz encounter near camp.

Watching the activities unfold from a distance vantage point on the evening that TSW and 6K dropped the grizz was somewhat surreal. The warm sun on my back while glassing for hours into the lush bear habitat with the backdrop of rugged mountain peaks brought about a peace and satisfaction equal to that of being on the front line. Observing four grizzlies from afar that evening coupled with the thirsty hunters heeding the calls to pursue chase is forever etched in my memory. As the sun was setting the dark bear emerged from the timber and onto the flats . . . a quick glance through the spotter confirmed that we had ourselves a shooter. 50 yards onto the flats the bear sunk into a hole with only its head viseably showing while he pleasured himself in a mud bath. After 5 minutes it surfaced from the hole coated in grey mud and lumbered back to the timber where he then reared up on it hind legs and performed the back scratch on a large tree. He then disappeared for a few minutes and my hopes faded thinking that this may have been the last we see of him. To my surprise a few minutes later he reappeared working his way along the edge of the flats as TSW and 6K closed the distance . . . I watched the showdown unfold. I watch the bear drop and rise numerous times with the shots being heard seconds after the bear responds. A dandy bear is put to rest. Congrats are given as TSW sheds the grizz monkey from his backside.

The boys pull into camp rather late but not late enough for a time of bear and 40th b-day celebration. I couldn't believe the amount of fat that this bear had . . . more that most fall bears.

The next evening 6K and I switch roles as he glasses from up high and directs TSW and I onto another bear . . . another late evening ensues. The following day we head home with close to our limit on bears and crabs along with the signature 375 scope bite! :)

MB_Boy
05-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Billies.......should we be expecting another thread/story???:-D

Knute
05-19-2012, 06:23 AM
That is one awesome grizz, love that mitt pic!

What a great hunt you guys had, sounds like a blast. Congrats all around..

grizzlydueck
05-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Wow ! good work and what a great story.I hope my grizz hunt next week is as much fun !

Rattler
05-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Whoa, that is a big one...and those mits are impressive to say the least. Congrats on your successful hunt, sounds like some good times were had all around. What was the width on those front paws? Curious as to the bullet selection you used as well.

Rackmastr
05-19-2012, 08:44 AM
This trip had all the makings for good things to happen . . . disorganized confusion on my part as I didn't commit and start packing until the night before departure. I relied heavily on 6K and TSW to make this trip a go for me as I was in all regards not prepared. It took only a few hours into the trip to confirm that I had made the right decision to join the boys. This decision was second guessed later that evening when I was solo with the canoe loaded full of gear and stuck on the mud flats with the tide dropping! The "roar" eminating from the flats in the dark was enough for my partners to get a deep pit inside about a possible grizz encounter near camp.

Watching the activities unfold from a distance vantage point on the evening that TSW and 6K dropped the grizz was somewhat surreal. The warm sun on my back while glassing for hours into the lush bear habitat with the backdrop of rugged mountain peaks brought about a peace and satisfaction equal to that of being on the front line. Observing four grizzlies from afar that evening coupled with the thirsty hunters heeding the calls to pursue chase is forever etched in my memory. As the sun was setting the dark bear emerged from the timber and onto the flats . . . a quick glance through the spotter confirmed that we had ourselves a shooter. 50 yards onto the flats the bear sunk into a hole with only its head viseably showing while he pleasured himself in a mud bath. After 5 minutes it surfaced from the hole coated in grey mud and lumbered back to the timber where he then reared up on it hind legs and performed the back scratch on a large tree. He then disappeared for a few minutes and my hopes faded thinking that this may have been the last we see of him. To my surprise a few minutes later he reappeared working his way along the edge of the flats as TSW and 6K closed the distance . . . I watched the showdown unfold. I watch the bear drop and rise numerous times with the shots being heard seconds after the bear responds. A dandy bear is put to rest. Congrats are given as TSW sheds the grizz monkey from his backside.

The boys pull into camp rather late but not late enough for a time of bear and 40th b-day celebration. I couldn't believe the amount of fat that this bear had . . . more that most fall bears.

The next evening 6K and I switch roles as he glasses from up high and directs TSW and I onto another bear . . . another late evening ensues. The following day we head home with close to our limit on bears and crabs along with the signature 375 scope bite! :)

Great post and great review of your position for the hunt! Makes a guy feel like he was there!

You've got me intrigued about whether another thread is going to be posted soon to show the conclusion to the story...:-D

Krico
05-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Awesome bear TSW!!!!! Huge congrats buddy and job well done!!!! Do you shoot anything other than awesome specimens?

ryanshaw44
05-19-2012, 09:07 PM
that is one big boy!

TSW
05-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Whoa, that is a big one...and those mits are impressive to say the least. Congrats on your successful hunt, sounds like some good times were had all around. What was the width on those front paws? Curious as to the bullet selection you used as well.

The pad was 7" across. I was shooting 180g tsx out of my 300wm and 6 k was shooting e-tips (not sure what grain he said. Was it 225g 6 k?). When I walked up to the bear and put my hand on him, I happened to put my hand on a bullet that was stuck just under the skin. Turned out to be one of my tsx that opened perfectly. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. We only roughly measured the skull so far. Should be close to 24" by the looks. The bear measured 8'5" both ways. Those details haven't concerned me that much just yet as I'm just stoked to have had such a great experience on a great hunt with great friends. Hoping to watch the video from BCbillies again this weekend.

porcupine
05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Great story, hunt and bear. Just remind 6K that only the hunter with the tag is allowed to shoot, unless his life is in danger. Congratulations.

BCbillies
05-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Great story, hunt and bear. Just remind 6K that only the hunter with the tag is allowed to shoot, unless his life is in danger. Congratulations.

All three hunters had grizz tags so we had options. :) 6K uses 200 grain e-tips.

matt420
05-20-2012, 11:00 AM
that a nice gbear,, congrats!

jackychiles
05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
That is awesome. Nice job. I hope to one day get my LEH draw and take one like that. Hell I would be happy with one half that nice. Congratulations on a really nice bear.

bochunk2000
05-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Great story great bear guys

BillyBull
05-20-2012, 04:14 PM
That's a beast of a paw to be arm wrestling with... nice trip and great success.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Really nice big Grizzly bear. Those claws were huge!

anglo-saxon
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Great bear and very well told story. Awesome of your buddy to be on the high ground scouting for you, too!

TSW
05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Here are a couple of shots of the bullet I recovered. Looks like the 180 tsx performed well--I was pleased to see that. (Pic is off my phone)

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/photo1-1.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/photo2-1.jpg

6 K
05-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Just remind 6K that only the hunter with the tag is allowed to shoot, unless his life is in danger.

1st Anytime the person next to you puts a bullet into a grizz, your life IS in danger untill it is dead.

2nd It is the hunter's responcibility to ensure that every reasonable effort is made to retrieve wounded game is recovered. A second shooter's bullet\s IS reasonable.

3rd I DO have a tag.

BCbillies
05-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Those that have hunted grizzly a few times will appreciate what 6K is saying.;-)

btw - TSW didn't mention it but the skull size stated earlier was ballparked with the head unskinned. When it was recently C.I'd the green skull broke the 26" mark. Definitely a solid bear and one that didn't require a second look or confirmation!

6K . . . did you say you still have a tag to cut? :)

Kitimat Killer
05-21-2012, 09:55 AM
way to go guys i've been out lots two had a big boar give us the slip yesterday and i let a small one walk two weeks ago
it's nice to see big old boars get taken in our area and this year is tuff with all the snow still around

again way to go and a 26inch skull thats big thats for sure

kk

gerrygoat
05-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Good luck KK, we looked a bit on our end of the zone this week end and only found some older tracks from a 7 1/2" + bear.

308Lover
05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
How many people shot this bear before it died? That was unclear.

nature girl
05-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Great story and pictures.

Kitimat Killer
05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Good luck KK, we looked a bit on our end of the zone this week end and only found some older tracks from a 7 1/2" + bear.

I've seen 8 bears so far but only two being boars its tuff still can't get to most of my good areas due to snow and getting stuck all day on the quad

yama49
05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Great bear and story.. Huge congrats on a great trip....

SKYLINE
05-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Sure glad that it all finally came together. You put in a lot of blood sweat and tears over the years and nice to see you get rewarded with a bear of a lifetime. Threads like this are what keep me coming back to HBC. Now why don't you post the pic you sent me earlier :mrgreen:

porcupine
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I hope your buddies got their bears too!

WKCotts
05-27-2012, 01:35 PM
hell of a bear! can't wait to see the rug!

91Jason91
05-27-2012, 03:41 PM
fuaikcjkljdglkjslkgfdslf ds

EFFFFFFFFFFF MEEEEEEEEEEE
thats thing is big
great story and pics man
thanks for sharing

fester
05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
that is awesome!!

TIKA 300
05-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Awesome does'nt begin to describe that griz,great job,well done......

SUAFOYT
05-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Great story and nice bear. How many of us haven't had that Houston we have a problem moment. Glad yours didn't spoil the hunt.

killer_shot
05-29-2012, 10:51 PM
HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THOSE NAILS!!!!!

how the hell does that bear manage to wipe his ass with those, you'd think they would blow right through the toilet paper

PS congrats and thanks for sharing got me stoked

250barry
05-29-2012, 11:03 PM
nice friggen bear!!!!!!

6 K
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM

how the hell does that bear manage to wipe his ass with

very very carefully:-D

pitbell
06-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Good for you bud! Giant.

Salmon Belly
03-02-2016, 09:26 PM
A bump up for those gearing up for Spring grizz. Good eye NMO

SB

wideopenthrottle
03-03-2016, 08:05 AM
wow...fantastic old grizz...way to getter done...one less big boar killing cubs is a good thing for their population...many don't understand that

swampthing
03-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Great incentive for sure. What a hog!

Xenomorph
03-03-2016, 11:02 AM

how the hell does that bear manage to wipe his ass with those, you'd think they would blow right through the toilet paper

I think he plants them into little gophers and rabbits and swoosh ...Cottonelle, best/softest thing ever.

That thing ...it's a thing, seriously though, that paw right there. Forget the size, the PAW. Holy shit guys, well done!

NMO
03-03-2016, 05:18 PM
That thing ...it's a thing, seriously though, that paw right there. Forget the size, the PAW. Holy shit guys, well done!

Agreed, gorgeous bear and massive paws.

.308SLAYER
03-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Back up bear for the movie "the edge"

Camp Cook
03-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Did you guys ever get the skull officially scored?

If it was 8' 5" long that is one beauty bear.

TSW
03-07-2016, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I got the skull scored about 6 months afterwards. It officially scored 25 9/16. I never entered it but it was neat to know the official size.

Did you guys ever get the skull officially scored?

If it was 8' 5" long that is one beauty bear.

hunter1947
03-07-2016, 04:54 AM
Thats a good score on the skull any pictures of the final results on the skull ??.

Camp Cook
03-07-2016, 06:30 AM
That is very good score you should definitely enter it.

I waited 3 - 4 years before I scored my grizzly skull it came in at 24 3/16" scorer figured the skull had shrunk 3/16" - 4/16" in that time.

What did you do with the hide rug or mount?

TSW
03-07-2016, 02:39 PM
I've got the skull set up on display in my office. I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow. I am getting a rug done up with the hide.

As far as putting it into the books, I'm not going to based on the fact that we used radios for the hunt which disqualifies it from B&C and BC records from my understanding. I got it scored and I have the sheet done up by a B&C scorer, so that's good enough information for me. :)

Prior to boiling the skull it was measuring 25 13/16, but I lost a bit in the boiling process.

Camp Cook it sounds like a bruiser of a bear you got as well. Is there a thread with pics and a story on here of yours?

TSW
03-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Here are a couple pics of the skull.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMG_4666_zps3dvuqdxr.jpg (http://s383.photobucket.com/user/tswhunting/media/IMG_4666_zps3dvuqdxr.jpg.html)

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/tswhunting/IMG_4663_zpsop69tehb.jpg (http://s383.photobucket.com/user/tswhunting/media/IMG_4663_zpsop69tehb.jpg.html)