PDA

View Full Version : Lower mainland family fishing.

luckofthedraw
05-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Looking for a good spot for overnight camping. An area with free camping is desireable. A couple families with small kids, I just want to get thier feet wet with a little fishing. Not both vehicles are 4x4 so access needs to be decent. I have a 12 foot, aluminum boat w/ gas motor. Anywhere between maple ridge and hope??

I was thinking chehalis but don't know of access post slide.

Thanks.

421fighter
05-15-2012, 07:18 AM
You might want to have a look at Deer or Hicks Lakes, in Sasquatch park, just past Harrison Lake. It may be kind of busy on this long weekend, but both lakes are stocked, good place to launch a boat.

lip_ripper00
05-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Looking for a good spot for overnight camping. An area with free camping is desireable. A couple families with small kids, I just want to get thier feet wet with a little fishing. Not both vehicles are 4x4 so access needs to be decent. I have a 12 foot, aluminum boat w/ gas motor. Anywhere between maple ridge and hope??

I was thinking chehalis but don't know of access post slide.

Thanks.

Their is no camping at Chehalis lake because their is no camp site. Road is still blocked because of unstable rock face. Free camping between here and hope ....good luck!This weekend any free sites will be full of kids with 4x4's loud music and beer bottles. Their are some sites up Harrision west but not this weekend. good luck.

luckofthedraw
05-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks. Not looking into this weekend. I appreciate the info on Chehalis though. I guess the "free" camping in an area close to home is just not going to happen now a days. Especialy on a fishing lake.

May have to head to Hicks or Chilliwack lake.

lip_ripper00
05-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks. Not looking into this weekend. I appreciate the info on Chehalis though. I guess the "free" camping in an area close to home is just not going to happen now a days. Especialy on a fishing lake.

May have to head to Hicks or Chilliwack lake.

If it's not this week end Check up Harrison west their is a couple of smaller lakes that are stocked I forget the names right now, but they would make great first time outings. I belive some of the lakes are Grace Morris and Wolf.

digginsweatinswearin
05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Loggers have punched a new road around the back of Weaver lake and a section of it gets really close to the lake, it wouldnt take much to get the boat in the water from there and get a camp set up away from the meatheads at the campground. There is a flimsy gate but i have never found it to be locked, just held shut with a stick. Hope it gives you another option.

Buck
05-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Chehalis is open to camping my cousin was there yesterday.Middle lake campsites on the hill are good but the lakeside sites are just boulders and rock.

mijinkal
05-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Like Buck said, Chehalis is accessible ... with a truck. A friend of mine went up on Sunday and said the road was pretty rough, but there wasn't anybody else around. He said he wouldn't tow his travel trailer in there, so I'm assuming you'll have a tough time with a boat.
East Harrison's nice if you drive past most of the crowds. You can usually find a nice spot by the second logging camp. Not shure how the fishing is. I haven't been up to West Harrison in years.
Jones lake could be good. It's been a couple years since I was there too and it may be a little busy on the long weekend.

lip_ripper00
05-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Chehalis is open to camping my cousin was there yesterday.Middle lake campsites on the hill are good but the lakeside sites are just boulders and rock.

I stand corrected, good to hear. last time I was up it was still blocked ans gated. any idea if the road goes through to the top of the lake? I may head up Monday to have a look at the carnage!

russm
05-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Wolf lake sucks don't waste your time fishing in there

Buck
05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
I stand corrected, good to hear. last time I was up it was still blocked ans gated. any idea if the road goes through to the top of the lake? I may head up Monday to have a look at the carnage!

I'm sure you can't get past the slide but you can come in from 20 mile bay area for the North end.Not sure they will push the road through as it is still deemed unstable i believe.

luckofthedraw
05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Im not really willing to take the young kids into "possibly unstable" rock. Maybe Chilliwack lake or something instead. Again, I appreciate it.

Jack Russell
05-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Hicks, Deer, Jones, Kawkawa, Chilliwack Lake, Cultus (some good fishing in Cultus right now).

skuntor
05-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Hicks would by my bet if you can get a spot. Drop some bait to the bottom between the islands for some cutties.

scoutlt1
05-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Is Weaver Lake still the gong show that it used to be? Years ago there used to be decent fish in there, then the nutjobs started showing up, but I talked to the lady that was the FS "caretaker" 2 yrs ago and she said that there has been definite improvement over the last few years.
It was always a good day trip just to get away for the day years ago, but haven't been in quite a while.
(West side of harrison lk btw luckofthedraw..fairly easy access and relatively decent sites)

oclarkii
05-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Check out the FFSBC's website for lots of info on stocked lakes. You can filter the map for access, boat launch etc - you can also access stocking reports.
http://www.gofishbc.com/where-to-fish/location-map.aspx?regionID=2