PDA

View Full Version : 4-35 info

05-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Well Im stuck going to a wedding with the old lady at the end of august in canmore Ab and after the wedding were going to stop in 4-35, south east of Golden for two days to do some hunting, and I might sneak off the day before the wedding. I picked up a crossbow a few weeks ago from the boys at Reliable and am ready for my first bow season. all that being said, I am looking for some more info on that area, specifically the valley that runs on the other side of the mountain range from the 95, just north west of the kootenay national park. After looking over a lot of arial and topo maps it seems like the best spot. I will be coming in from the north and have 4 wheel drive, but will be spending most of my time in two foot drive once i get there and I dont mind putting in the k's on foot. My goal is to find some elk, but anything will do. does anyone have any experience hunting that area? Thanks for the help. any pm's appreciated and I'm willing to help anyone out with some duck duck goose info and spots who can help me out.

boxhitch
05-15-2012, 07:47 AM
That sounds like the Beaverfoot. Long and narrow with short side roads. Have been in for spring bear, so won't comment on fall hunts.
Beautiful area though and the g/o does well.

05-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah it sounds like they take a lot of goats out of that area.

RENO
05-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Think your going to do well there, 4-35 on down along the border lots of animals, area 4 is I think the best place to hunt, mix bag of everything and close to Alberta.
I have a friend who is a guide in those parts and they see everything big deer,elk,goats,rams,and lots of bears G's to . what kind of bow did u buy? are you bringing a back up ?good hunting

05-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I got an Excalibur exomax. 350 fps. And I will be bringing my 870 with folding stock as a backup.

Are you talking about gong along the highway 95 where the border is or on the other side of the mountain range from the hw?

springpin
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
The goats are LEH, there is a bighorn closure area. Some good fishing, and hunting to b had.

boxhitch
05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
What are the chances of finding an elk in Beaverfoot valley?
Sheep are closer to Brisco, I'm told. ;)

05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah I put in for a goat there

pescado
05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
What are the chances of finding an elk in Beaverfoot valley?
Sheep are closer to Brisco, I'm told. ;)

Some big Elk used to come out of the beaverfoot. Numbers fell off and I'm not sure if they have come back. Wouldn't be my choice for an Elk in region 4 but there are some there.

05-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd settle for just hearing one bugle.

GoatGuy
05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
The are more elk showing up, nothing like pre die-off though.

05-17-2012, 10:38 PM
anyone been in there for deer or have any other info on the area? like stay clear from here, or those gates are locked, or talk to these farmers.....

GoatGuy
05-18-2012, 05:39 AM
anyone been in there for deer or have any other info on the area? like stay clear from here, or those gates are locked, or talk to these farmers.....
Road closures are in the regs. No farmers there.

Well, if you do see a 'farmer' in there, steer clear......

springpin
05-19-2012, 09:04 PM
There is elk in there. Found a spot they haunt last season, just never connected. It is a real nice area back there.

springpin
05-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Ice river main has a closure for motorized for hunting purposes. Moose creek is also closed to motorized. If its a new area for you, I would poke around. It could be worth while.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-19-2012, 09:36 PM
No No theres no Game there . . shot out .. season closed i hear .. LOL.

Jelvis
05-19-2012, 09:49 PM
This mu is excellent for wild country hunting. This country would be my choice if I had a chance to pick in region 4.
For elk in eye exploding views and vistas, visiting the Beaverfoot. No better spot on the earth for elk habitat.
This country east of Columbia is steep mountain sides folks and diffy cult to hunt for most. Despite this limitation, some good muley hunting where water crosses and fans out above the highway. Mule deer between Brisco and Edgewater spurs with mule deer and whitetails.
One flat spot in MU 3-35 a narrow strip reached from Hwy 95, the rest as above.
Go in at Leonchill. Down the road into the best elk hunting country known to mankind. A no-brainer.
Jellapeeeno .. Up the Beaver by foot .. one step at a time .. lookin for a 7 .. Royal Bull Elk .. 7x7 .. hoot chee momma
Lots of hunters go here looking for elk and moose. (check leh)
Road Closures: Moose-Dainard road,
Also .. mule deer, mountain sheep, goat and grizzly (see regulations)

GoatGuy
05-22-2012, 11:09 AM
This mu is excellent for wild country hunting. This country would be my choice if I had a chance to pick in region 4.
For elk in eye exploding views and vistas, visiting the Beaverfoot. No better spot on the earth for elk habitat.
This country east of Columbia is steep mountain sides folks and diffy cult to hunt for most. Despite this limitation, some good muley hunting where water crosses and fans out above the highway. Mule deer between Brisco and Edgewater spurs with mule deer and whitetails.
One flat spot in MU 3-35 a narrow strip reached from Hwy 95, the rest as above.
Go in at Leonchill. Down the road into the best elk hunting country known to mankind. A no-brainer.
Jellapeeeno .. Up the Beaver by foot .. one step at a time .. lookin for a 7 .. Royal Bull Elk .. 7x7 .. hoot chee momma
Lots of hunters go here looking for elk and moose. (check leh)
Road Closures: Moose-Dainard road,
Also .. mule deer, mountain sheep, goat and grizzly (see regulations)

Gonna have to get you a hunting bc map that's been updated since the 80s.

Jelvis
05-22-2012, 12:48 PM
You got the internet so put it on here Goat guy. Show this so called updated map, Right now, right here.
This is the area bounded by two Parks, you saying they changed? I don't think so.
Rivers are still there and the mountains. Adjoins mu 4-34 from Golden to Radium, has that changed?
Access to this area east from the rocky Beaverfoot Range and the no-hunting area of Yoho and Koootenay National parks is reached from Leanchoil, just outside the park gate on Hwy 1, east of Golden, has that changed? lol.
Jel .. Nothings changed as far as excellent area for elk and moose and many other big game animals on leh.

GoatGuy
05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
You got the internet so put it on here Goat guy. Show this so called updated map, Right now, right here.
This is the area bounded by two Parks, you saying they changed? I don't think so.
Rivers are still there and the mountains. Adjoins mu 4-34 from Golden to Radium, has that changed?
Access to this area east from the rocky Beaverfoot Range and the no-hunting area of Yoho and Koootenay National parks is reached from Leanchoil, just outside the park gate on Hwy 1, east of Golden, has that changed? lol.
Jel .. Nothings changed as far as excellent area for elk and moose and many other big game animals on leh.

It's not the map that changes, it's the wildlife. Guess sometimes you get what you pay for on the internet.

05-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Hunting elk in the Beaverfoot was exactly how Jelvis describes, back in the '70's that is......!

Beaverfoot Valley was extensivelly clear-cut in the late '60's early '70's over a period of less than 10 years and most of it didn't get reforested for up to ten more years. So this created a prime habitat area for elk, deer and moose for a good ten year period or more that extended into the late-80's. Then the natural forest took over, the cut block were replanted, and the since the habitat was created in a short period of time and was all in the same stage of succession, the habitat and game nearly all disappeared in a short period of time as well. Hunting was the shits in there for the last 20 to 25 years and is now just starting to recover but it's still not great. In addition access is much more restricted today due to natural deterioration, washouts, etc.

Re the map, it has changed as well, many FSRs no longer servicable, huge upgrade and twinning ongoing to TCH thru the Kicking Horse, entire new route in places, many access points off the highway eliminated, lots of new wildlife fencing, wildlife movement patterns changing dramatically.

Deer_Slayer
06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
very good area for elk, whitetail, and bears. Hunt down close to the columbia river wetlands for elk and whitetail are abundant all along the west bench. Funny area..lots of whitetail on the west side of river and Mulies on east side. MANY bears in here and Grizz too..keep your peepers open it is dense foliage on this side of river..beginning of wetbelt.