PDA

View Full Version : area 7-02 moose?

stugatz
05-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Anyone know if area 7-02 has a fairly accessable network of logging roads? Anyone ever hunt in that area? Thanx in advance....Stu:confused:

fireguy
05-15-2012, 01:04 AM
lots of country in 7-02, was a few moose there a few years ago as well but I haven't been there in years.

Jelvis
05-15-2012, 01:43 AM
MU 7-2 vehicle access from Valemount on Hwy 5, via the Canoe Forest road down the east side of Canoe Reach, or the West Lake road down the west side of the reach. Off either side of these roads take the logging spurs extending off these roads and you will see some pretty good moose and mule deer.
Another logging road west from Hwy 5 about 2km north of Valemount centre. forks one K from the Hwy, left fork Upper Canoe River road, runs back into moose country with good mule deer also in the little roads running off this road.
Right fork, oh boy, another good spot for moose, and mule deer goes into MU 7-4.
These spots is where I would try for LEH moose and antlerless mule deer and then if you win, off you go Hugo!
Jel .. MU 7-02 .. These spots are vehicle access roads into good moose and mule deer pops. .. go LEH :-D 2012

Husky7mm
05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Jelly you are talking from years gone by! By by moose& deer. Not many new roads as most of the mills are closed, just lots of old over grown ones. Lots and lots of bears and wolves, and thats where the moose went. The deer are mostly down in the farm fields were they're safe. Go for bear, bring 2 tags each and if you see a moose or a deer than bonus. Go with 2 guys you will get 4 bears, go with 4 guys you will get 8 bears, no kidding! Save a moose calf, kill a bear, stay long enough you will get a wolf too!

Jelvis
05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Get a boat then also and go where no one without one can go. A canoe, a roof topper what ever floats your boat.
Tell the MOE about this Husky they seem to think there are moose and deer in MU 7-02 lol.
Jel(MOE) Curly and Larry .. 2 words, "Moose meat!" lol .. is good.

stugatz
05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanx abunch to you gentlemen its good information.Well its not for myself, but more from my 70 year old dad, who knows how many more years he has hunting and i want to make sure that he enjoys himself. I have not put in my draws yet but the decision has to be made soon.....stu

dana
05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Moose tags aren't that hard to draw but they are a real challenge to fill. Extremely high wolf numbers mean the moose numbers are way down compared to the haydaze of Jelly's mind.

Jelvis
05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
If the LEH has openings in this MU 7-02 for moose and antlerless mules then try for one by these roads mentioned and you can hunt when others who have no LEH can't. If you don't get the valid LEH, then plan a spike/fork moose hunt with mule deer in the area as well. Maybe in region 3.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Jelly Katz

Jelvis
05-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Reached by boat? Ok. MU 7-02 for moose and mule deer. LEH application for moose and antlerless mules if available.
Reached by boat from near Valemount, or from the Mica Creek Dam
Watch for floating logs and debris on McNaughton Lake it could be hairy with all the crap on the water.
Near Valemount you can access with boat. Check out area with a good map.
Check the internet for some pictures of the area your applying for on the LEH application.
It's not rocket science or brain surgery. It's only hunting but we like it.
This area should be good (IF) you get lucky for the LEH tag. Good luck
Jelly James Walker

Husky7mm
05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Get a boat then also and go where no one without one can go. A canoe, a roof topper what ever floats your boat.
Tell the MOE about this Husky they seem to think there are moose and deer in MU 7-02 lol.
Jel(MOE) Curly and Larry .. 2 words, "Moose meat!" lol .. is good.
Just like they think theres lots of deer up the lake from revelstoke to mica.......

Jelvis
05-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Anywhere in region 7 is world class hunting opportunities for any person out and about looking for a moose or deer with grouse thrown in.
As a young hunter I heard about Valemount and it's moosey situation. Some big game habitat that can dazzle the outdoors person's eyes.
It ain't that far from the lower strangeland, on paved super hwy's .. There is a 7-11 somewhere close by lol.
MU 7-02 is all about you.
Jel .. Canoe Reach .. Reach out and nail an LEH moose for meaty treats .. Taste so dang good .. swamp donkey

Husky7mm
05-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Just dont forget your bear tags.....

sneg
05-16-2012, 08:37 PM
MU 7-02 for moose is overrated. easy leh draw , too many hunters, very low success rate. Managed to fill up tag last year, met probably 8-10 different groups, with no moose on pole.

Jelvis
05-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Hunting success depends on many things, length of days hunted, effort and good hunting experience for the species
Know your prey and know the country.
Jel .. Moose Tracker ..

stugatz
05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Jel thanx abunch! hopefully lady luck will smile on my dad.

Husky7mm
05-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Maby, and right on the side of the road too , moose are heavy... Lol

Jim Prawn
05-17-2012, 09:50 PM
About 3 years ago, east side of Kinbasket Lake around Bulldog creek. We were leaving the area after spending one day in the area (all the way back to Hugh Allan Cr), discouraged by the amount of accessible, huntable country it was all very thick and we saw next to no sign. Then these guys desided to go for a walk down the main road. Talk about being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time! I wont be going back to this area any time soon, but this goes to show, you just never know!
JP

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mooseresize1.jpg

Jelvis
05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Moose are where you see them, nice photo James Prawn. Prawn, James Prawn.
Folks like Jimmy says, Hey yah never know til there, right in front of you, a giant Canadian bull moose.