PDA

View Full Version : Scouting in 3-19 advice

biggyun68
05-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi Folks:
I am scouting for my third year in 3-19 just above Merrit. I have never failed to spot deer in this area anytime of the year. I failed to successfully kill a deer partly because I have only hunted on the week-ends there. I have talked to lots of successful hunters in the area so I know there are Mulies, Whitetail and Moose.
I have mostly been hunting on foot. and trying to lay up by high traffic game trails. Will this work in times of high hunting pressure?
Should I be working the river and creek valleys, or stand hunting in some of the smaller secluded lakes?
Just looking to refine my skills and any advice is appreciated.
Biggyun68

doubled
05-15-2012, 05:37 AM
All of the above. Animals need water so that will always provide movement in an area. When the traffic is high, some will go nocturnal and your best bet is first and last light.

Biggest thing is to get out there and things will fall into place sooner or later.

Good luck.

biggyun68
05-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks Doubled I am trying to get out once a month for a couple of days each time... Unfortunately more and more of the roads are being blocked off with either dirt berms or logs being pulled across. So walking is becoming more and more of the option

boxhitch
05-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Utilize the first and last 1/2 hour of daylight to the max, if there is pressure the animals will lay up longer. If you can find your vehicle without a flashlight, you are missing good hunting time.
Then during mid day, try to use the push by other hunters to your advantage. Sit quiet and let them do the work for you.

bighornbob
05-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi Folks:
I am scouting for my third year in 3-19 just above Merrit. I have never failed to spot deer in this area anytime of the year. I failed to successfully kill a deer partly because I have only hunted on the week-ends there. I have talked to lots of successful hunters in the area so I know there are Mulies, Whitetail and Moose.
I have mostly been hunting on foot. and trying to lay up by high traffic game trails. Will this work in times of high hunting pressure?
Should I be working the river and creek valleys, or stand hunting in some of the smaller secluded lakes?
Just looking to refine my skills and any advice is appreciated.
Biggyun68

Not sure what the problem is. You say you are seeing deer all the time? So when you were hunting, did you see lots of does and just not any bucks? Or did you not see any deer while hunting? Are you trying to kill any buck or are you looking for a big trophy? You mention whitetails and moose too, are you trying for one of those too? If you are trying for all three realize that they are seperate animals and sometimes live in different habitats?

BHB

Caveman
05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Get off the beaten path! Get back where no one else is bothering to tread. The game will be less disturbed as they haven't felt the pressure or have fell back to these areas because they felt it and are now where no one is bothering them.

RoscoeP
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Check your PM's

biggyun68
05-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks RoscoeP - good advice and BighornBob: I am seeing mostly Does and Bucks in the preseason about 2 hours before sunset in the open, Does bedded down in the midday and nothing in the morning: All are Muleys... that being said I am seeing tons of fresh Moose droppings in the same areas as the Muleys.
I was going to look for White tail too this summer and will take Doubled's advice and work the creeks as well as caveman's because there are some thick juvenile plantations that I am pretty sure are where the bucks are hiding out.
I have one rule when deciding upon quarry - do not pass up any animal you would gladly take on the last day of your hunt.