PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunters- Grizzlies in Pemberton

Gateholio
05-14-2012, 08:50 PM
The grizzly bear population in the Pemberton area has been on the increase for some time now. And with that, more grizzlies are being spotted around the area. Last year a hunter shot and killed a grizzly bear. (Either by mistake or because he was scared or??) He was identified and as far as I knwo there is still an ongoing investigation.

We dont' want a repeat of this, and we don't want a grizzly to be shot by mistake by a black bear hunter.

Please double check your bear identification BEFORE you pull the trigger!

warnniklz
05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I haven't hunted goats, but I've been doing a lot of reading o them. From what I've read... both goats and bears are the same... take your time to look before you touch the trigger.

EvanG
05-14-2012, 09:26 PM
got checked by the COs in squamish a few weeks back and the CO mentioned that the biolgist ran into a grizz up the squamish valley the day before. theres a few around both areas. take your time before ya shoot.

Big Lew
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
A very appropriate thread for this time of year "Gatehouse", I wholeheartedly agree.
On the very odd occasion though it can go the other way. The west side of Harrison Lake and north has some larger than normal, square-headed black bears. Many years ago, my Wife, a Game Warden, and I watched a black bear boar, that we had been told about that was in excess of 500 pounds, for quite awhile. It was about 150-200 yards away, had a dusty brown coloured coat, and a bit of a hump and sloped shoulders. It was standing on a very large log at the top of a shallow draw. It wasn't until I tried to get closer with a camera that it became agitated, popping it's gums, and rocking from one front leg to the other, that we could definitely identify it as a black bear boar. Because of it's odd colouring, and uncharacteristic shape, we all thought it was a grizzly when we first spotted it. The game Warden called me a couple of weeks later to inform me that a hunter had shot it, and got themselves a real trophy.

REMINGTON JIM
05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
I came out the Bralorne - Goldbridge area - When i was a kid there was a lot of black and g bears up there ! The Hurley River area on the way out to Pemberton was full of G bears - -A rancher up there by the name of Johnny had beef cattle killed every year in the Hurley river valley ! Every year i hunted goat up there in the fall i seen several g bears ! There is enough bears up in that area for sure for a limited opening hunt ! JMHO :-D

Cheers RJ :-D

Bistchen
05-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Theres are grizzly hanging around Darcy near Anderson lake and always a bunch around Birkenhead lake this time of year. Its great to hear the pemberton/duffey lake/cayoosh/ anderson lake area Grizzly bear numbers returing to healthy numbers.

05-19-2012, 06:35 PM
when I took my bear from up there there I saw two nice grizzlies. one I watched feed and got some photos of and enjoyed the encounter because he left, and the other grizz watched me as I skinned cleaned my bear for 2 hours. not as much fun.

Merch
10-16-2013, 01:41 PM
http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20131009/WHISTLER01/310099988/-1/WHISTLER/fine-delivered-in-2011-grizzly-bear-killing