PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Fishing pics

Tikka270wsm
05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Best weekend in a while. Spent all day Saturday with the wife and kids at the beach and then fished some mountian lakes with 835 on Sunday. Fishing was a bit slow but got couple nice bows at the first lake we fished. First fish went 18 1/2 inches which was a very good start to the day!
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/2926.jpg

A little while later, I got into another nice bow that went 17 inches.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/2932.jpg

Continued...

Tikka270wsm
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Fishing slowed down so we decided to go puddle jumping. I showed 835 a tiny lake that is surrounded by marsh that holds very nice fish for its size. On 835's first cast, he hooked into a beauty fish that managed to shake free right by the beach. I believe his words were,"What the hell is a fish like that doing in a lake like this?"LOL We fished the lake(pond) over fairly hard and 835 managed to hook into another fish that shook free as well so no pics were taken.
We puddle jumped a bit more but with no results so we headed back to the first lake we fished in the day. When we got there, there was another fella who was doing very well. Apparently he got a 6 pound Brown Trout as well as a bunch of nice bows. We got the tubes ready and got on the water to fish out the remainder of the day. I managed to hook into one more bow that was right around the 18 inch mark. All in all, not a bad day at all.
Here are some pics of the last fish.
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/2937.jpg
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/2938.jpg

Tikka270wsm
05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
It was a very bright day out there and got one helluva sunburn. But it was totally worth it.

05-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I got schooled! Non to the beach for me..... That pond was quite un assuming, i could not believe the size let along the fact they were there. I really have to get more lake oriented gear in my fly box, Chronies, dragons, damsels all that jazz. It was a goregeous day though. We did get to see a few little spots where fish could be had, as well as a bunch of country.

Tikka270wsm
05-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Too bad we were limited to the spots we fished due to snow. I was really looking forward to fishing all the lakes we had planned to. Oh well, next time.

05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
yep i think those places are only going to get better! and when the lower ones start to peak the higher onse will be well on their way too!
really need to make mor time for those places, I have to stop just going to the river. Those fish and the guy who got the tank! i need one too

Sitkaspruce
05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Nice job guys!!!!

One of the things I missed most when I was in the interior was the beaver pond fishing. I tried, but then I found out that most froze and kill off any fish......

Thanks for the picts!!!!

Cheers

SS

warnniklz
05-14-2012, 07:54 PM
My favourite lakes are small and have big fish in them... people tend to look over them and don't fish them. So the fish have a chance to grow up. Plus a small water body keeps the fish condensed and you have a better chance of hooking into one.

Tikka270wsm
05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
My favourite lakes are small and have big fish in them... people tend to look over them and don't fish them. So the fish have a chance to grow up. Plus a small water body keeps the fish condensed and you have a better chance of hooking into one.

The lake in the pics is getting rather busy. Word travels very quickly on the island here and before you know it, there are so many trucks at the launch that it deters a guy to the point that he moves on to the next lake. 835 and I happened to be the first guys on the lake in the morning and in hind sight, should have spent the day there. I am envious of the people that live in areas like the Caribou where a guy could fish a different lake every day and be hard pressed to fish them all in a lifetime. The small lake fishing in the interior is absolutely incredible compared to the best fishing to be had on the island. I think when I'm old and grey, I will retire in the Caribou somewhere.

Don_Abbate
05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
nice rainbows i just got into fly fishing this month went up to a small lake couple weeks ago these pics remind me how fun it was, good job

Spy
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Nice fish guys ! Maybe I will get the nod next time you go !Hint Hint!:-D:-D

warnniklz
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
The lake in the pics is getting rather busy. Word travels very quickly on the island here and before you know it, there are so many trucks at the launch that it deters a guy to the point that he moves on to the next lake. 835 and I happened to be the first guys on the lake in the morning and in hind sight, should have spent the day there. I am envious of the people that live in areas like the Caribou where a guy could fish a different lake every day and be hard pressed to fish them all in a lifetime. The small lake fishing in the interior is absolutely incredible compared to the best fishing to be had on the island. I think when I'm old and grey, I will retire in the Caribou somewhere.

I know I've been spoiled someting fierce. I've even noticed some of the cariboo lakes I use to fish have had the word get. They're getting more and more crowded. Well when I say crowded I mean there's probably 3 anglers out on the water.

nice rainbows i just got into fly fishing this month went up to a small lake couple weeks ago these pics remind me how fun it was, good job

My only little tip and trik I got for you for starting out is...

If you're tired of casting... try trolling your fly. But use a 20' leader just use a long piece of tippet). This way your fly i a long ways away from your main line.

Wood butcher
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Nice, thanks for posting.
There are some great little lakes on the island. I haven't fished any of them for years. Seems ever since I started fishing the Cariboo in the spring. 9 more sleeps and I'm gone fishing. Thanks for the post, you've got me even more pumped to go now :)

The Dude
05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Using Chronies and indicators, or whatzits? :D

05-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Water boatman was T's fly...... i had nuthin' close!
We werent chronie fishing.

Tikka270wsm
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Judging by the casings on the surface, chronies probably would have worked well if a guy had a small enough pattern.They were tiny! I went with one of my go to flys for mountain lakes which is a little boatman pattern. It worked okay but there was a pro on the lake that was fishing right on the bottom with a Dragon Nymph and he was into fish after fish. I felt kinda silly getting all excited with the fish I caught when I saw him in action. Got alot to learn.

There is another lake in the area that is absolutely incredible fishing for wild rainbows. It's higher up and 835 and I got turned around when we ran into 2 plus feet of snotty snow on the road. It sucked because we were almost to the turnoff where the road opens up and snow wouldn't have been a hinderance from there on. Another week of this weather and it shouldn't be a problem getting up there. Will post another thread on those lakes soon.

05-16-2012, 02:53 PM
And when we get to that one im going to have dragons and boatmen!!!!!

Tikka270wsm
05-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Ha ha. And a sinking line too I guess hey? :mrgreen:

05-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Scary thing is i looked breifly for it and couldnt find it........

Tikka270wsm
05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Here's one more pic from the day.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/2928.jpg

warnniklz
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Judging by the casings on the surface, chronies probably would have worked well if a guy had a small enough pattern.They were tiny! I went with one of my go to flys for mountain lakes which is a little boatman pattern. It worked okay but there was a pro on the lake that was fishing right on the bottom with a Dragon Nymph and he was into fish after fish. I felt kinda silly getting all excited with the fish I caught when I saw him in action. Got alot to learn.

There is another lake in the area that is absolutely incredible fishing for wild rainbows. It's higher up and 835 and I got turned around when we ran into 2 plus feet of snotty snow on the road. It sucked because we were almost to the turnoff where the road opens up and snow wouldn't have been a hinderance from there on. Another week of this weather and it shouldn't be a problem getting up there. Will post another thread on those lakes soon.

That's the way I do it.If I'm in my belly boat I rock a type III sink line in my hand with the dragonfly nymph and a floating line in the rod holder with an olive caddis or a tom thumb

Tikka270wsm
05-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I was actually surprised that he was doing so well with a Dragon as it seems a little early, especially since its a high elevation lake and the weeds had hardly started to fill in. But I am by no means a pro and he obviously was. I've been getting by with the same gear that I've had since I was a teenager and I just turned 30 this year so that'll tell ya how crappy my set up is.LOL I seem to do ok though and for me, it's good enough for now. When my daughters are out of diapers, maybe I'll have some extra cash to buy a new rig. I run a 4 weight with a slow sink line(can't remember what kind). I lost my dry line and have yet to replace it as the slow sink produces fairly well. The last few years, I have put alot of faith in micro leaches as they almost always produce but since using the boatman, I have a new favorite.

Philcott
05-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Looks like it was a great day in the high country.

I'm off to the Cariboo this afternoon for three and a half days at watch lake so hope to have a few nice pics to post when I get back. I'm not sure what we will have for a boat that we can take to other lakes but I know there are two we have access to on Watch.

It's been a while since I've been there in early spring.

05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
. I've been getting by with the same gear that I've had since I was a teenager and I just turned 30 this year so that'll tell ya how crappy my set up is.LOL I seem to do ok though and for me, it's good enough for now. .

being that you out fished me 4-0 i think the rod/reel has nothing to do wit it! Not only out fished me but did it with size too

Tikka270wsm
05-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a feeling they were picky because they had been georging on that huge hatch that happened the day before. I just happened to have the right fly and presentation that resembled one of their regular food sources.

05-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Yep, The lake was covered in bugs that morning. When i was a Kid i fished a lake in there. There had been a hatch of some kind of bug ( I didnt know bugs then). The lake was covered in them. I caught one fish and when i gutted it the thing was gorged. I bet they were stuffed..... But! i will expand my lake fly selection.

warnniklz
05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Yep, The lake was covered in bugs that morning. When i was a Kid i fished a lake in there. There had been a hatch of some kind of bug ( I didnt know bugs then). The lake was covered in them. I caught one fish and when i gutted it the thing was gorged. I bet they were stuffed..... But! i will expand my lake fly selection.

A great tol to have (especially during hatches) is a stomach pump. You don't have to gut the thing to find out what they're feeding on. And just because there's a hatch doesn't always mean that's what the fish are feeding on.

05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a stomach pump,,,,,, mever used it though! it is with me every time i go fishing. But i never remember to pull it out.

BillyBull
05-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Very envious of your nice little float.... great day, good company, and some bows to fill in the gaps in the conversations, thanks for sharing guys.