PDA

View Full Version : Got a hole in my aluminum boat...fix leaky rivets at the same time?

500grhollowpoint
05-14-2012, 08:05 AM
So I have a hole in my boat. About the size of a slot to fit a dime through. My thoughts are a small washer on either side bolted on there with JB cold weld. Also, I have fought with small leaks from the rivets on this boat for years, I'm thinking undercoar the whole thing this year to fix it. Thoughts?

lovemywinchester
05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey hollowpoint. I few years ago I picked up a used 12 ft'er from a customer of mine. It leaked like crazy from riviets holding the keel on. I picked up some fiberglass cloth and ran a 6 in strip down the middle from the stern to 1/2 way up the boat, on the inside. I scuffed up the metal and put three layers on and it was water tight for the few years before I sold it. No peeling or damage to the glass even after a few summers of use. I wasn't sure how the fiberglass would hold on the aluminum but it was awesome and was around a $30-40 fix by the time i was done.

Steeleco
05-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Short of changing the leaky rivets, no matter what you do it's only going to be a band aid. Too bad your not closer, a riveted patch over the hole would be real easy. The said, you need to find some stuff called Sykoflex. Goes on like silicone works like a charm. If you can find a small thin piece of metal, something galvanized and make a 4" circle just put the sealant on the face of the patch and center the patch over the damage. A small amount in the damaged area that will get pushed out when the patch applied would be good too, just trim the excess when dry. Let it dry for a while then bead seal the edge. For the rivets, make sure they're clean of debit then just put a bead over each one that leaks. Should look like a little Hersey's kiss chocolate. This works on aircraft fuel tanks, it will work on das boot!!!!!

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...QR7KEw&cad=rja (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sykoflex%20marine%20sealant&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CH0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bluemoment.com%2Fdownloads%2F sikaflexmarinehandbook.pdf&ei=kCaxT9CPJcGt2QXj5KXpCA&usg=AFQjCNEC_jhtWw9E39O5EFRabrdrQR7KEw&cad=rja)

stitch
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Most boat places will have a putty like substance in a tube. It's almost like a clay and you work it into the damaged are or around the rivets. It hardens into a metal like substance over night. Worked great on my tinner. Tube cost about $15 or something close to that.

bassplayer
05-14-2012, 09:05 AM
X2. I use Sykoflex on my boat whenever needed. I had a couple of big holes at the rear of my boat where the rollers came off and the forks punctured my boat. A couple of aluminum plates later with Sykoflex and it hasn't leaked since. I even put a dab on all my rivets. The marinas sell this stuff. It is a little pricey around $12.00 or more but it is worth it.

Mishka
05-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Last year I fixed up an old Sears 12' aluminum boat I got for $300. The rivets were leaking in a few areas. After doing some research I ended up using Silver Knight All Season Rubberized Premium Roof Repair from Crappy Tire. It comes in a spray can and it's for aluminum and metal roofs. The stuff comes out a slightly foamy grey liquid. It's designed to work it's way into small cracks and seams. It dries to a hard rubber-like material and is paintable. I sprayed the stuff into a cup and used a paint brush to apply it to the rivets and seams. It worked really well and simple enough to do.

SUAFOYT
05-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Most boat places will have a putty like substance in a tube. It's almost like a clay and you work it into the damaged are or around the rivets. It hardens into a metal like substance over night. Worked great on my tinner. Tube cost about $15 or something close to that.

X2 The stuff works great. Made by Gluvit. How big is the boat? If you have leak issues other than the one you mentioned, a product that I bought but never used on my old 14' is called Gluvit. It's a 2 part epoxy that you paint on. Gets good reviews. Can't get the epoxy paint in Canada when I bought it. The cans have never been cracked- $50 and you can have it. Keep in mind that you're adding 10lbs or so the boat weight.