PDA

View Full Version : When to set up the game camera

Ry151
05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
having bought my first game camera half way through last year i'm not quite sure when to start setting then up. I put mine out today, am i to early? Is there a technique to using them, like finding bedding areas or the times of day the animals come past, and how often should they be checked? Where is the best place to set them up?
thanks for the advice in advance
Ryan

.300WSMImpact!
05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
its salt time set out some water softener salts maybe a 1/4 bag and leave it a week or so, if you only get a few pictures move it and do the same, I set mine up on a grid to try and track the animals I want to see

TheProvider
05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
never to early to put them up. I keep mine in the woods year round. Put them near bedding areas, well used trails, browsing areas. Any place with good sign. If putting them up along a trail. Angle slightly instead of pointing it right at the trail or you'll get alot of head and butt pics. Try not to set it up facing the sun. I like to leave mine up for a few week to a month before checking.

Ry151
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Can moose and elk be patterned when it comes closer to hunting season? or is that just a waste of time?

NaStY
05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Never a waste of time being in the outdoors. Nothing wrong with asking questions but you could also learn by getting out there and trying new stuff....

RayHill
05-15-2012, 05:26 PM
I have never brought my cam home ever, It has been on the same tree for 3 years the tree is growing around the cable lock now.

hunter1947
05-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Anytime is a good time to set them trail cams out..