PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Stéphane
05-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi guys, I need advice quickly. I shot a bear today, it should have been my first bow kill. 37yd, broadside. However, the arrow hit a bit too much in the front. The arrow fell off. It actually broke. It seems like it went 10 inches in .(from the blood on the shaft and what's missing) I went to retrieve my arrow right away. When I got there, I could see the bear walking down below. I left and came back 50 minutes later. It could have been my first mistake.

BLOOD TRAIL: I had a hard time seeing at first - only drops. Then I saw a nice pool, then another and I really got excited. It turned to drops again. Then the bear took a dump and again a bigger amount of blood was pooled there. A few yards and 2 nice pooling then a small smear then it vanished. It was 7:15 and I was by myself and I decided to check again in the morning.
HELP: When you lose the blood trail, how do you go about to find it again? I marked where I last saw blood. I'll be there early in the morning to see if I can find it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Anyhow, I cut my first tag, but not so proud. . . a bit ashamed actually.

Thanks,

Stéphane

5 spike
05-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Dogs would be a big help for sure.

Pioneerman
05-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Sounds like you did things right. When you go back to last blood sign start making circles around that spot small working out to see which direction it might have gone. And yes a good dog would be helpful but I bet you see him laying a short distance from last position, good luck

Lozzie
05-12-2012, 10:05 PM
x2 Doesn't matter if the dog is trained, put them on blood and they won't let you down. Borrow a dog or have a friend help if you don't have one. Good luck.

Dogs would be a big help for sure.

RENO
05-12-2012, 10:05 PM
with that much blood sounds like you got it, but bears have a low heart rate and could take awhile, but if your saying there were pools I think if he beds down you should have a bear near by. Is it a gun area? I suggest you bring someone with you to help.

Jagermeister
05-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Be very wary when you're trailing in the morning, he could still be quite alive. If there is a water source nearby, check that as it is very likely he will head for that to lay in and maybe try to stop the blood flow.

Steeleco
05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Where are you Stephane? Maybe somebody close can come lend a hand?

Stéphane
05-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I'll go with my Jack Russell tomorrow. Yes it is a gun area, and this was the 3rd bear I saw in the exact same spot. A huge black one in the morning and this brown one. So, if you feel like carrying quarters of bear. . . ;)

Shooter
05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
As well as a dog a spray bottle with some peroxide really helps to show up any small drops that you might other wise miss

Stéphane
05-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm at home right now(Abbotsford) but the bear in is passed Hope.
As for the pool, they're small though. The first ones were more encouraging. However, I can't imagine it being able to survive with a broadhead lodged inside.

Steeleco
05-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Stephane, WHEN you get it call me. I'll plug in the cooler and we can cut it here, steps from work LOL

Stéphane
05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I like the "WHEN" instead of "if". Thanks, David. So, expect a call tomorrow afternoon ;)

Ambush
05-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Almost every PH in South Africa uses Jack Russels for trailing wounded game. Yours should be a natural.

If you got ten inches of penetration, then you very likely have a dead bear. If you didn't hear him crashing off while you were trailing, chances are he's close by where you left off.

Many wounded animals will travel in a straight line, if possible. Stand on the last blood found and then look back down the blood trail then keep going in that same line. You should be able to find enough sign to trail him, but if you can't, look for easy travel routes. Bears are notoriously hard to spot after they are dead, since they lay flat and it's often dark under the big trees. so don't give up easily.

Good luck. I think you'll find your bear.

As a side note. You don't cut your tag untill you have recovered an animal. All ethical/moral stuff aside, legaly you don't.

Did you hit it ahead of the leg or behind? Shot angle?

Stéphane
05-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I shot it broadside, no angle. The height was spot on, but I saw the lighted nock in front of where I wanted to shoot. But behind the leg. I think he snapped the arrow when he moved his leg back.

As for the tag, I was told the same via PM. Oops!

Almost every PH in South Africa uses Jack Russels for trailing wounded game. Yours should be a natural.

If you got ten inches of penetration, then you very likely have a dead bear. If you didn't hear him crashing off while you were trailing, chances are he's close by where you left off.

Many wounded animals will travel in a straight line, if possible. Stand on the last blood found and then look back down the blood trail then keep going in that same line. You should be able to find enough sign to trail him, but if you can't, look for easy travel routes. Bears are notoriously hard to spot after they are dead, since they lay flat and it's often dark under the big trees. so don't give up easily.

Good luck. I think you'll find your bear.

As a side note. You don't cut your tag untill you have recovered an animal. All ethical/moral stuff aside, legaly you don't.

Did you hit it ahead of the leg or behind? Shot angle?

Ambush
05-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd say you're going to have to skin a a bear tomorrow. :-D Looking forward to the pics.

springpin
05-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Sounds like u got good penetration. You will find him, and have some work to do. Looking forward to pictures.

The Silent Stalker
05-13-2012, 08:11 AM
I hope it works out well today for you. Post some pics of it when you get home.

TheProvider
05-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I agree I think you'll definately have a dead bear. Your dog shoud work great. Bears are well known for hard blood trails. More so when they all the extra fat in the fall. 10inchs of penetration is enough to go through one lung.

TheProvider
05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Remember bears vitals are a little more forward then other animals

Rhyno
05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Post when you are back with your bear! I'm hoping you got'em, good luck!

elkdom
05-13-2012, 09:40 AM
I killed a 6x7 bull elk a few years ago,, he had a broad-head lodged in his pelvis, probably for a couple of years, as the broad-head had worn a large portion of his pelvis, from constant walking movements,actually drilling a hole about 2 inches in diameter in the pelvic bone, the broad-head was partially covered by a "cyst" and was in perfect condition, the bull elk walked with a serious limp
until he died from a 200 gr bullet from my .308 Norma Mag ,at 20 paces( bow-hunting-range):?

the elk must have suffered tremendous pain in those many months carrying that arrow-head

the triple blade broad-head did not kill the elk , even after a couple of years, the broad-head was in pristine condition,,

just because there IS some blood , does not guarantee a dead animal

Bowzone_Mikey
05-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Good height + right behind the leg = Dead bear .... it probally only penitrated that short because you hit the side clavicle or shoulder socket ... A bh is now bouncing around the innards cutting up everything ....

check under every nook and bush ... you will have yerself a pepperoni factory ..

REMINGTON JIM
05-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Good LUCK ! I hope you find your Bear today ! :-D

Cheers RJ :)

NaStY
05-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Your in the lml so if you need some help, let me know..............

Bow Walker
05-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Dog, peroxide spray, a helping hand from a buddy and you'll have a de-boning job on your hands today.

Take advantage of all the help that' been offered to look for that dead bear. It'll be laying under the gnarliest pile of deadfall that is out there - dead.

Stéphane
05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
UPDATE: So I went this morning with my dog. I went to where I lost the blood trail. Found it back within 5 minutes. Then I followed some good splashes, but none of significance. Then more blood all of a sudden. My dog goes on the top of a hill and stopped in his tracks. I know something is up. So I abandon the blood trail to see what's going on. There, 100 yards off, a bear, that looks just like mine is slowly walking away. I have no idea at this point, but I decide to go check where I last saw it. Nothing, no blood at all. Then I returned to where I last saw blood, only to see the trail disappear. Again. I spend hours trying to find it back to no avail. Canvassed the whole place, saw more bear droppings, but no blood. I decided to follow the game trail where I saw the bear go for about 30 minutes, but never saw anything, not even blood.

I came back to where I lost the trail. Now I see something that I didn't notice at first. The blood seems to be on both side of the branch. Now, I think the bear doubled back and it would explain why I couldn't find anything further. However, I still can't find anything. I wonder if it turned around and stayed until the bleeding stopped. Anyway, after near 9 hours of searching, I abandoned.

Nasty, if you want to go for a final bout, I would be more than happy to show you where I lost the track, and where I think the bear doubled back.
SG :(

Stéphane
05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC02823.jpg
The bloody arrow.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC02825.jpg
The last blood mark. You can see here the blood on the left and the right. That's what convinced me that the bear doubled back.

NaStY
05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Pm sent...........

islandarcher
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Two things always in my pack - peroxide in a spray bottle, and a roll or surveyors tape. I mark every sinificant blood spot, or every 10 yards or so. Losing the trail and looking back at a line of ribbon tied in the trees can help give a good persective of where the trail is heading. Backing out wasn't a mistake. I always sit tight for half an hour or so, following right away is the most common error, you can push the animal out of a bed and never see them again. Failing that, I am going home to get one of my beagles.

r106
05-13-2012, 05:22 PM
That sucks I might be able to help in a search tomorrow if you not working. I'm not a great tracker or anything but it's another set of eye's. Let me know

bugler
05-13-2012, 09:36 PM
That seems like a lot of blood to be the last spot you found. By the looks of that, and your arrow, and your description of placement it seems that he must be there somewhere.

pnbrock
05-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm no expert but after a few days in these temps do u really want to find it now?Just saying.

scoutlt1
05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
PM me if you want some help tracking your bear. I know it's getting a bit long but if you are going out tomorrow (monday) I may be able to get off work early to help.
I'm in Abby as well and we could meet up before you head out. Another set of eyes...

NaStY
05-13-2012, 10:22 PM
What a tuff place to hunt. We walked that mountain a fair amount with very little sign. Im 100% sure that bear is alive and well. You gave one hell of an effort.

Was very good to meet you.

Stéphane
05-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys for all the offers, but I will have to just let it go. I went again tonight with Nasty and it is very likely the bear I saw this morning walking away was my bear. No more blood dripping. It is serious stuff down there and just bringing an animal out from where the last blood was seen, it would be a full day of work. Very steep and blow downs as well.

I've spent over 10 hours in total looking for it, and my legs are so beaten up that I'm leaving blood trails. Not happy with the outcome at all, but that's the way it is. I think I've put all the effort I could to recover.

A very special thank you to Nasty for getting some of the torture to help me. I'm sure he must have regretted offering for help once he saw where it was. Thanks, Greg. You're awesome!

springpin
05-13-2012, 10:29 PM
That sucks, but you did put a good effort to retrieve it. It is what it is.

BiG Boar
05-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Seems like a dead bear to me also. But if your dog didn't find it, who knows?

The Dude
05-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Too bad you couldn't retrieve it, but maybe it will be ok. At the very least, it will be efficiently recycled. :D

About the Peroxide guys, do you mean the over-the-counter 3%, or a stronger solution?

BiG Boar
05-14-2012, 06:38 AM
So as a new bow hunter, myself included what is the lesson here? What can be taken away from this? Where were the mistakes? What would you do different next time? I have shot with you and know you're full capable of hit game where you want it, was it the arrow placement? The bow? The broadhead? The time you left it before going in after it? Your tracking skills? Was the animal moving, or did it move? I'm actually out chasing them right now with my bow and any insight you could teach would be helpful.

Big Lew
05-14-2012, 07:10 AM
I have been laid low the last while with a badly damaged rib cage, so I wasn't able to help with the search or to see the area, but from Stephane and Nasty's comments about the type of terrain, I would ask if he should have passed on that one. Many times, most of us, as bow hunters, have passed on an animal because of the extreme difficulty of tracking or retrieving the animal after the shot. More than once in bad terrain or heavy rainfall I have fought with my conscious about taking a chance that I might not be able to retrieve the animal. So far, my conscious has won, and I have held off for the higher percentage chances.

NaStY
05-14-2012, 08:03 AM
The area deff wasnt in his favor. You almost need a rope just to walk it. The mountain doesnt stop for at least a mile. Looked it up on google when I got home.

He had seen the animal walking away the next morning so that tells me the shot wasnt as good as he had hoped. i really think the bear is still out there alive. No doubt in my mind he is a good shot but shit happens to good people.

anglo-saxon
05-14-2012, 08:20 AM
a roll or surveyors tape. I mark every sinificant blood spot, or every 10 yards or so. Losing the trail and looking back at a line of ribbon tied in the trees can help give a good persective of where the trail is heading.

x 2. Took a nice black bear near vanderhoof in '09 near last light (with a rifle). He took off into the threes. After a pause, I followed slowly, marking my progress with bright fleurescent pink survey tape. After a while, I couldn't see anyithing in there, so I left and went back the next morning. Following the tape was a synch and sure enough (Murphy's law) he was just beyond the last piece of tape I'd placed. He was still very warm, although I doubt he'd lasted long as his lungs were shredded. Survey tape is always in my gear.

The Hermit
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
IMHO 40 yards is REALLY stretching it especially for relatively new bowhunters (like me)... so many factors can influence the outcome; the archer, the arrow touching something in flight (even a gust of wind) and especially the animal moving as the arrow is released. Banging away at a 60+ yard target all day can make us "feel" confident at 40 yards but hunting and target shooting are two very different deals, especially on dangerous game (pucker factor). I know lots of guys are excellent shots and there are many that have killed at great distances but IMHO especially for relatively new bowhunters shots should be kept to 25 - 30 yards MAX.

Rules for myself, learned the hard way:

Longbow
Never shoot at live game that is aware of my presents and looking at me.
Never shoot at live game beyond 25 yards (elk/moose) 20 yards (deer/bear)

Compound
Never shoot at live game that is aware of my presents and looking at me beyond 15 yards.
Never shoot at live game beyond 30 yards (elk/moose) 25 yards (deer/bear)

I also think taking the International Bowhunter Education Program is a great idea!

Cheers,

fester
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
IMHO 40 yards is REALLY stretching it especially for relatively new bowhunters (like me)... so many factors can influence the outcome; the archer, the arrow touching something in flight (even a gust of wind) and especially the animal moving as the arrow is released. Banging away at a 60+ yard target all day can make us "feel" confident at 40 yards but hunting and target shooting are two very different deals, especially on dangerous game (pucker factor). I know lots of guys are excellent shots and there are many that have killed at great distances but IMHO especially for relatively new bowhunters shots should be kept to 25 - 30 yards MAX.

Longbow

Compound
Never shoot at live game that is aware of my presents and looking at me beyond 15 yards.

I also think taking the International Bowhunter Education Program is a great idea!

Cheers,

Good thoughts, thanks for sharing.

Spy
05-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Longbow

Compound

Cheers,

Great pointers ! I am new to bow shooting & hunting this will be my first year !my quarry wll be grouse , grouse & more grouse ! I have a rifle for big game ! Bang flop!
I hoPe you get that bear one way or the other!
Good luck !

greybark
05-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Hey Hermit , generaly good points , However the premise of all new bowhunters being limited to 25-30 yds is wrong . Many new bowhunters who with hunt skills , dedication and new archery technology are capeable of lethal harvests beyond your set line . That being said only they know there limits .
I do appreciate your opinion .
Cheers

Big Lew
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey Hermit , generaly good points , However the premise of all new bowhunters being limited to 25-30 yds is wrong . Many new bowhunters who with hunt skills , dedication and new archery technology are capeable of lethal harvests beyond your set line . That being said only they know there limits .
I do appreciate your opinion .
Cheers

Yes, I agree.
There is a very big difference between a person new to bow hunting, and a person new to both hunting and bow hunting.
A person new to hunting and bow hunting should follow "Hermit's" guidelines, whereas those with a good deal of hunting and archery
experience should know how much more flexibility in those guidelines he is justified in using.

Barracuda
05-14-2012, 10:01 AM
im not new to hunting but i am new to bowhunting so all i can say is i gotta get better at stalking :lol:
on another note if i had been free i would have brought out the hounds to try to find the bear. if your in that situation again and im free i would be happy to help.

Stéphane
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
I have been laid low the last while with a badly damaged rib cage, so I wasn't able to help with the search or to see the area, but from Stephane and Nasty's comments about the type of terrain, I would ask if he should have passed on that one. Many times, most of us, as bow hunters, have passed on an animal because of the extreme difficulty of tracking or retrieving the animal after the shot. More than once in bad terrain or heavy rainfall I have fought with my conscious about taking a chance that I might not be able to retrieve the animal. So far, my conscious has won, and I have held off for the higher percentage chances.

That will definitely be one of my resolution. The scars on my legs will remind me of that.

Longbow

Compound

Cheers,
I never planned to shoot at 37 yards, but when I walked up that road and saw a bear just sniffing the ground, broadside, no wind I didn't want to move closer. I should have. Part of it was, to have a distance between me and the bear. 20 yards is very close on a road. It wasn't a terrible shot, but not a perfect one. 1 inch, 2? I don't know. I am not proud, and I will make sure the next time it will be a double lung.

What is it to learn for me? Tons! I also have to add that I received several great advice based on facts and experience, how to track, and how to retrieve a blood trail.
On the positive side there are a few things as well. First of, I saw 3 bears; second, I got as close as 37 yards to one; third I took my first shot ever at a big game; fourth, I was able to follow blood, spot faint amount on leaves; fifth, I followed advice and retrieved a blood trail that I thought was lost.

Some might be quick to judge my range of shooting or my choice of hunting grounds. However, making mistakes isn't a big deal. Repeating them over and over and expecting different results would be a problem. I will make adjustment next time I'm out and post a nice story about my first kill.

Gumsehwah
05-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear about your Bear, Stéphane. :-(

You'll have better luck next time. :-)

Stone Sheep Steve
05-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Whatever my personal shooting distance limits are on ungulates, I always reduce my limit for bears. No limits for yotes!:-D

Good effort on the follow up. I'm sure he's a live and kicking.

Now go buy another tag and get back on that horse!

SSS

Gumsehwah
05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Ya know what would be REALLY COOL?

Getting another tag and going back after that bear. :-)

J_T
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
No one has mentioned toilet paper in the pack. I keep a roll in there and put a small piece of it on virtually every drop of blood I find. Although it looked like Stephane had a good blood trail to follow. Nice thing about tp, its biodegradable and it can distinguish blood from anything else that's red. Like the peroxide does. By putting a piece on all of the blood, you create a better trail to consider what the animals is thinking? Heading for water? the shot is back. Heading downhill? lung shot. High and back? Liver. Lying dead? both lungs and heart.

Another thing with bears, I have found if I push the wounded bear it usually climbs a tree. I'm not sure what you other bowhunters have experienced with that.

Big Lew
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
People that are willing to accept council and advice, eager to learn, and keen to make adjustments in their pursuit of expertise, rather than, as you say, 'making mistakes isn't a big deal, making them over and over and expecting different results would be a problem' are the ones that become very good, and experts in their chosen endeavors. You're well on your way, Stephane.

Islandbowhunter
05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear you lost your bear, but it sounds like an honourable effort was put forth tracking it. I offer no new advice, but lessons learned and now go get another tag :)

NaStY
05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Yup nothing wrong with the shot and I hope you are able to take the next one. 37yrds isnt that far when you consider you were on the road and no where to hide/stalk it. Talking about the area really doesnt do it any justice ( trust me).

I learn new things every time I get the chance to go hunting.

Some days are about the teaching and some days are about the learning. If we stop we may as well be dead...................

2tins
05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Sounds like lots of blood loss but the bear might be alive and a bit cranky. When you go back bring some back up incase a second bow shot is not an option or is not safe. Good luck, 2tins.

Jeff88
05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
this is why i dont bow hunt ....good on ya guys for giving it a valiant effort trying too find it

Gumsehwah
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh, for the love of God, don't unleash THAT S**tstorm on everyone! :-O

NaStY
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
what the hell u talking about ..what did i say that your offended by ...i say, thats why i dont bow hunt, so what ..thats is why i dont bow hunt ..ive personally watched 3 deer run away with arrows in em ...

do u take offence that i dont bow hunt .,.i dont give a flying **** if u or anyone else does .....go beat a bush ,im not in the mood for your bullshit right now

Ok guys cut the crap. Why turn a perfectly good thread into a shit storm................

Just so you know Jeff, there are more spring bears lost by the hands of hunters with guns than bows. Probably because there are more people using guns. None the less, there are animals lost no matter what your using..........

Jeff88
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Ok guys cut the crap. Why turn a perfectly good thread into a shit storm................

Just so you know Jeff, there are more spring bears lost by the hands of hunters with guns than bows. Probably because there are more people using guns. None the less, there are animals lost no matter what your using..........

i no i no .................... ive hunted hard for 20 some years now and have seen it all ...i was not trying to start anything ,,just stated that is why i dont use a bow ..i said i apreciate the good effort in trying to find the bear ..not everyone would even go back and look ....there was no reason for the G dawg to say anything derogitory ..if anything he was looking for a fight

Bow Walker
05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Good on you Stephane. You did all the right things but didn't come up with the desired result - that's why hunting is never a 'slam dunk', otherwise it'd be called grocery shopping.

We've gone about as far as we can go with this thread...........

Bow Walker
05-15-2012, 08:44 AM
At the request of the O.P. this thread is re-opened. Keep on track with replies to avoid infractions............

RENO
05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
My bow hunting, success has been the stalk and being able to get in as close as possible. It is key, for shot placement. All the factors needed come together in the stalk as for the game, whether rifle/bow hunting. With no wind, getting closer would have been nice, but then ? if the shot felt comfortable at the distance, you take it.
it's not easy tracking in thick stuff, but you got help and did it, and he's still there
alive, guess you'll have to plan a hunt again. your next post you will be that you got your bear, let us know when the pepperoni is ready ok LOL safe hunts to you all.
.................................................. .................................................. ...................
my personal rule ..... be selective.. know my limits ... be humble ... use my head and be patient ... the stalk ... shot placement ... a day in the woods, is always a great day and even skunked, learned something I did not know, it was all worth it.
they will still be there and I'll be back. all this with good friends. cheers

Bow Walker
05-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Knowing your personal limit(s) in bow hunting - and keeping within those limits is an exercise in self discipline that many archers are just not capable of learning.

Unfortunately it sometimes takes losing an animal (that you are not sure is either dead or will die) to dramatically demonstrate those limits to an archer.

Fortunately for Stephane, he is someone who does learn from experience and is an intelligent, observant student of archery/hunting.

Got get 'em Stephane!

The Dude
05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
If you're also a gun hunter Stephane, you might want to think about going back and finding him. Might get your broadhead back, and some peace of mind. Just a thought. Good on you for posting how every hunt ain't perfect.

Philcott
05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
It was asked earlier but no one (that I saw) stated the how and why's of using peroxide. Can some one please explain it?

hunterdon
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Whatever my personal shooting distance limits are on ungulates, I always reduce my limit for bears. No limits for yotes!:-D

Excellent comment!

Good for you Stephane for posting. It took courage and humility to post this thread. Both are good hunter characteristics. Mistakes were made, (join the crowd),BUT you did more things right than wrong. You did a valiant job to retrieve your animal although unsuccessful. You will be all the better for it next time. Stone Sheep said it best, I think, shorten the distance on those bears and for 2 main reasons;

1-Bears are a tough animal. They can take a lot of abuse and still keep going. That shot has to be very good, and not to far behind. Remember, your arrow loses penetration capability the further out you shoot. Bears are very muscular. Hitting the sweet spot is good, but a clean pass through should also be your goal.

2-Bears ARE different that ungulates. That is, they can be very dangerous up close. For that reason, many hunters, are very nervous (and naturally so) when they take the shot. No matter how good of a shot you are on a target, it's a different story when shooting a critter with claws and big teeth. For this reason (nerves), you should automatically reduce your distance accuracy compared to shooting at targets. Probably by half.

I have taken many bears over the years, both with gun AND bow, and a well placed broad head with the right equipment AND up close will be just as deadly as when shot with a rifle. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck in your future endeavors, Stephane.

huntcoop
05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
As long as you have learned something from this, move on and go kill another one. Bear is now long dead and feeding the system.

Gumsehwah
05-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm really glad that Stéphane posted his plight. I'm new to hunting and live in fear of botching a kill. :-( Stéphane has gone the full distance and back, and is still rearing to go. I may not know much about hunting, but when its MY turn behind the bow looking down the arrow, I hope that I am as strong as Stéphane is.

Way to go, guy!

NaStY
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
It was asked earlier but no one (that I saw) stated the how and why's of using peroxide. Can some one please explain it?

I too would like to know.

The Dawg
05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I've never used it myself, but what I do remember about peroxide is that it foams pretty good on blood.

Id think that you would put it into a spray bottle and mist the surrounding vegetation....and watch for the foam and mark it?

Could be way off...lol

Whonnock Boy
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Although I have never tried it before myself, it is my understanding that the blood reacts with the peroxide just like it would if you poured it on a cut to sterilize a wound before bandaging it. It will fiz, and or bubble. I think it may change the colour as well.

Islandbowhunter
05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Bingo! Small spots would become easier to see. I haven't tried it, but there's always a first.

Brez
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Noah Dawg is right on. Early season and spring season, we'd always have regular peroxide on hand and large spray bottles. See a red spot and spray it. if it foams, you're on the right trail.

Bow Walker
05-15-2012, 03:45 PM

Brez is right. Peroxide is very useful if you can't decide if a spot is blood or not - just spray it. If it is blood it will foam up like a good thing. If it is not blood - nothing happens.

Very useful for following a blood trail in low-light conditions or if you are a bit color blind. Instant reaction to blood.

NaStY
05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Brez is right. Peroxide is very useful if you can't decide if a spot is blood or not - just spray it. If it is blood it will foam up like a good thing. If it is not blood - nothing happens.

Very useful for following a blood trail in low-light conditions or if you are a bit color blind. Instant reaction to blood.

Good info to know......

rocksteady
05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Works really well if you dose it up with YELLOW food coloring, cause anything you spray will foam bright yellow.

Stephane, I feel your pain, it is never pleasant to shoot at an animal, know you have hit it but don't recover it.

I suspect that the arrow/broadhead hit just behind the shoulder and is lodged in the shoulder blade. Bears can be extremely tough with "less than perfect hits"...Guns, as well as bows...

Another issue I have had, when trailing a bear, is that because of the long hair (hide), it can soak up a lot of blood and cause confusion on a blood trail. LOts of blood versus a little being transferred onto vegatation....Think about it mentally as compared to a short haired, early fall ungulate..It will make sense....

Sounds like you have beat yourself up pretty good, put in great effort to recover, so time to chalk it up to experience and move on, committing yourself to ensure the next one is 100% perfect shot...

redthorn
05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Stephane,

As much as I wish you had the bear in hand already, You might have to go out and try again. I still think you killed it, based on the blood you had compared to my bear which had a pass through and only bled 2x drops. But what is admirable in the situation, is the perseverance you put into the follow up. You will get a bear yet.

For those of you eager to make a big deal of this incident, remember the following:

Stephane is shooting a recurve, so if he had 10" of penetration, he must have had a good hit. It's not like a modern compund that has all sorts of power and can easily go 10" into a shoulder blade.

The shot was well within his practice range. And he does shoot 3d, so he is familiar with the shot he was attempting.

He was man enough to ask for help and not lie about his story. Lot's of people out there would have given up the thought of retrieval at the first deep ravine. Or pretended it never even happened.

Good luck and try again this weekend. You seem to have your area dialed in alright if you saw 3.

Bow Walker
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
redthorn is right.......Stephane - from what I know of him thru his posts and replies - is a standup kind of guy. A guy that I would like to have as a friend and hunting partner. He is welcome at my campfire anytime.

Time to chalk it up to experience Stephane.

Letting it go and moving on in NO WAY minimizes what happened. Learning from the experience is what is important now.

IF (and it is not a certainty) the bear is in fact dead out there, and you happened to find it, the meat is all but useless now. It's too warm - the meat will be spoiled. It happened to a guy that I know. Let the carcass return to nature and feed some of the scavengers out there.

Get another tag and go get another bear - it'll make you feel a bit better....not a whole lot better, but a bit better anyway.

bugler
05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
I still think you killed it, based on the blood you had compared to my bear which had a pass through and only bled 2x drops.
I have seen this many times. Some of my best shots have produced the least amount of blood because it all stays inside the chest cavity. I've also had a couple of poor hits in shoulder or brisket, over the years, bleed like this bear and then simply dry up after the first hundred yards. Blood from a flesh wound all comes out of the body and it looks like alot. If it was all dark red like that in the picture, rather than pink and frothy, it could be that you didn't quite make it into the chest cavity. Chances are he will heal up none the worse for wear.

xtremearchery
05-17-2012, 08:58 AM
I personally shoot with Stepane and know first hand he is a spot on shot out to 50 yards. I feel you did everything right bud. It happens to us all. And to be honest.... It will likely happen again:( You have to remember guys todays bows will out shoot most archers. Every person has their own comfort zone. They dont make a seven pin site for nothing.... Most of todays shots are between 20-50 yards. 37 yards is a totally ethical shot. One in which I would take all day long. Stepane keep your head up. I know your abilities, and know you'll seal the deal sooner than later.

jetboat jim
05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Nice meeting you today ! So ........was the bear black ? And what side did you shoot it on ? May have seen your bear tonight .......found a 4' 6" - 5' 0" limping , not far from where I met you .

Stéphane
05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I got the PM, I'll contact you tomorrow with details. But the size seems right. It was brown in colour.
Thanks, Jim.

Bow Walker
05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Go get him Stephane!

Question for all the thinkers out there though - assuming that it is the same bear, will Stephane have to buy and cut another tag?

jetboat jim
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/hunting2012104.jpg

seems this one , not far from where i seen you was sleeping on a rock in the slash where we met. watched for some time to make sure it was not dead or have cubs..............dropped down climbed into 50 yard range and let him come to the 35 yard range, had quite the limp on the right side front leg..............decided to let him walk.

r106
05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Go get him Stephane!

Question for all the thinkers out there though - assuming that it is the same bear, will Stephane have to buy and cut another tag?

Yes. First it was illegal for him to cut the tag the first time and if he gets caught dragging a freshly killed bear out now, a week later. He better have a fresh cut tag. We all know if he shot the same bear again and didn't buy a new tag it would all be squared up. But the law won't see it that way

Bow Walker
05-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Just wanted to make it crystal clear for the "noobies"........

NaStY
05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes. First it was illegal for him to cut the tag the first time and if he gets caught dragging a freshly killed bear out now, a week later. He better have a fresh cut tag. We all know if he shot the same bear again and didn't buy a new tag it would all be squared up. But the law won't see it that way

It really depends on the circumstances as to whether canceling his tag was illegal. Had had reason to suspect the animal was down and he did what every hunter would do and cancel his tag. Every situation is different. Not to many hunters would do that and it was just inexperience on his part and a lesson learned.

So say I shoot a moose out in a swamp. I walk to withing 30yrds and it appears dead. I decide to go back and get my stuff (boots knife and rope) so I can get out there and bring it to shore. I decide now is a good time to cut my tag because doing so after is well against the law. I come back and the moose is gone. Is this an illegal situation? No its not illegal because my intent wasn't to fool anyone or break the law.

I doubt that black bear was the same one because the bear he shot was brown........

As for the question about a new tag. Absolutely he needs another tag. The law would say it was a different bear and a very clear indicator.............