PDA

View Full Version : Region 7-49

davbut20
05-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I am planning to hunt in 7-49 this August but have never been off the Alaska Highway in that area. Can anyone give me some info on access points and any tips for moose or elk. This will also be my younger son's first wilderness hunt so I want to make it memorable.

Thanks!

rcar
05-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I was up there last August. There are a couple of very active Grizzly areas to take careful note of. Where are you driving from?

rcar
05-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Just to follow up... I spend 10 solo days in that exact spot last year and would be happy to offer my thoughts and experiences. Typing will take too long so my suggestion if you are interested is to set up a night to talk on the phone with google earth in front of us and I can save you a LOT of looking around time....and help you keep out of a few danger areas.

First tip: nothing has been logged in that area in 15 years so every "cut" you see on google is a 10'-15' tall aspen forest

Second Tip: Make sure you plan the hunt on the New Moon. Nothing moves out of the timber in August on a Full....learned that the hard way...while some locals were laughing thier asses of at me!

Send me a PM if you would like some more info.

davbut20
07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Have not been able to log on for a while.

I really appreciate your offer and look forward to talking with you sometime soon. I will be driving from Vancouver Island and picking up my son in Ft. St. John where he is working for the summer.

Based on the moon phases we will have to go for the first week of the season.

Where were you hunting last year? I have looked on google earth and the Backroads book for the area and see virtually no road access. Were you on a quad or in a truck?

rcar
07-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Have not been able to log on for a while.

I really appreciate your offer and look forward to talking with you sometime soon. I will be driving from Vancouver Island and picking up my son in Ft. St. John where he is working for the summer.

Based on the moon phases we will have to go for the first week of the season.

Where were you hunting last year? I have looked on google earth and the Backroads book for the area and see virtually no road access. Were you on a quad or in a truck?

I hunted a few areas. First was right a Prophet River. There is a main fsr that leads west just north of "town". It runs a very long way between the river and HWY. A LOT of elk and moose in there, but hard hunting due to the growth.

Second area was the vast area and nice road access just east of Andy Bailey Lake. I hunted 2 afternoon/evenings there and didn't see a single vehicle. The roads are maintained to service the gas industry.

Third and the area I saw the most sign was west of Ft. Nelson about 60 km. There is an old FSR (I believe called the Kledo Main). I was amazing in there and you can travel for about 50km with a lot of cuts to hunt...but most but not all are overgrown

But as in my last post. Almost every cut you see on google is overgrown. Most of the cuts are trees and bushes 10' high. There are very few newly cut areas.

I was told about a fsr north of Ft. Nelson. that is heavily hunted but produces well as there are some newer cuts. When you get to Ft. Nelson, stop in at Wapiti sports. the guys there were a huge help.

The one thing that really blew me away was no matter where I went there was so many tracks you could barely find a 3 square feet of dirt that didn't have a track. There was one spot where I saw a moose, bear and wolf track, all fresh within a day and in one square foot....have the pic somewhere.

cheers!

davbut20
07-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the info. I will stop at Wapiti Sports for some inside stuff too.

Cheers.