PDA

View Full Version : Logging Activity

Brambles
11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
How do you feel active logging in an area affects deer. Do they move out, go nocturnal, run around all nimbly bimbly etc

I was out the other day and the one area that looked great that was logged 5-8 years ago was barron no tracks in the snow and it hadn't snowed in days, they were activly logging on the backside of the block probably within 1 km from there, you could hear the machinery working.

WoodOx
11-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I know a number of forestry workers (machine operators) that have seen 4pt mule deer walk infront of them AS they are working. Ive hunted areas that are cut that day, or cut within 1km.

I dont think it pushes them out of the area - if anything it opens up an area to hunters and slightly impacts the populations from huntin'. Just my 2 cents

eastkoot
11-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Current logging, fir mostly, will attract deer like crazy. They feed on the moss that grows on the fir trees. It's like what we in my circle call a "cabbage patch". Hunt those areas whenever you can..

dana
11-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I've seen deer feeding unconcerned around active landings especially when fir is being logged.

Brambles
11-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't know a fir tree if it kicked me in the ass. All I know is it burns when you light it:lol:

WoodOx
11-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Pine tend to have longer needles, fir have small 1 inch or so needles.

Brambles
11-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Larch and tamerack turn yellow

Hemlock have a hook at the tip

Spruce have pitchy crappy bark

This is about all I know

I'm getting better since I started getting firewood for my parents bit I'm still tree illiterate

Will
11-02-2006, 11:13 PM
The key is in the Cones.....
Douglas Fir has the 3 pronged things sticking out from under the "scales" on the cones;-)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/Pseudotsuga_menziesii_cone.jpg/180px-

JMac
11-02-2006, 11:13 PM
When it's winter range and they log it right from the bottom to rocks/alpine..................?

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Deer love the areas where the trees are felled and bunched, but not yet processed and trucked. They will wander through the bunched trees and gobble down the cabbage (lichens). They will also hang around any freshly fallen trees after a big storm too. Whiteys especially pig out in the cabbage patch. They prefer fir stands but will be in lodgepole pine and ESSF logging too. You can smell the strong scent from freshly cut fir...can you imagine how well the deer can smell it once a breeze carries that scent to them?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2006, 05:48 AM
A friend was sitting in his tree stand (fir tree) and a small buck came walking by directly underneath. He started to drop the moss down to the deer and the little buck would hoover it up as fast as it hit the ground. Didn't care too much about scent.

Moose also love fresh logging. My Dad was logging up Goldstream north of Revelbush in the winter a number of years ago and he would have to chase at least a dozen moose off the freshly fallen trees every morning with the equiptment he was running.

SSS

oldtimer
11-03-2006, 01:07 PM
As stated go to any active logging show and you will see deer. especially as noted , fir stands more so, they like the liken ( moss ) Mike

Ride
11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
You could also look at the buds on fir trees. They are red and pointy. And the old trees look like they have cork in the creacks of the bark.

4blade
11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
thanx brambles after reading the responses i know where i,ll be hunting ,they are loogging a bunch of fir stands around where i hunt whitetails, my only concern is they are cutting only the stands of big wintering timber inbetween old cut blocks turning the area in to one big one.

sawmill
11-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Firs produce deer repellant chemical in the lower branches after they have been nipped on a few times,even trees nearby that haven`t been hit pick up on this ,but the highest tender tips are free of it.I logged up Smithers way for years and have seen moose and deer walk onto the landing full of freshly skidded trees and eat the tops.

Trapper
11-04-2006, 10:13 AM
As a feller buncher operator i can asure you logging does'nt scare any of the game off the mountain,this time of year you'll see deer and elk in the felled timber,one year i shot a 6 point bull elk right in the active logging blk. it was during work hours.last year a guy took a 160 class mulie off our blk.during work hours,i could go on and on but you get the picture.
good luck

Brambles
11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
what about fresh logged cedar? any attraction there?

mcrae
11-04-2006, 11:31 PM
My old man doesn't have any cedar trees left in his yard anymore because the elk and deer munched them all down to nothing. These were the decorative type but I imagine if they will eat that they must eat the wild variety.

Mauser98
11-05-2006, 09:29 AM
what about fresh logged cedar? any attraction there?

Elk and deer treat red cedar like candy. Around here, we had to put plastic cones on our newly planted cedar so the ungulates wouldn't eat them.

CooperSscat
11-05-2006, 10:40 AM
I just saw a block with plastic pyramids around 2 year + old cedar trees along the Chilliwack River. Deer love young cedar seedlings!