PDA

View Full Version : Black bear kill in Hixon

Apolonius
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Just watched the news on global."Hunter " kills female with three cubs and left it to rot.They saved the three cubs and took them to a sanctuary in Smithers.They were there hungry for three days around the dead mother.I did feel so bad!!!I don't personally hunt Bear but we do have to do something about people like that.Hunters should get involved somehow and put a stop to it.Or they (antis) will!!!I hope one day hunters stop putting the kill as more important than the hunt.Take the time to think and identify your target.We are our worst enemy.

NaStY
05-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Should have kept the female and turned the cubs into slippers and a hat.................

Scuba_Dave
05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Deb was VERY good at pointing out that even though the bear was "Hunted" and that bear season is open, but that there are always those that go against the grain and that that was what happened here...That it was a poacher. I hope the rest heard this as well

cameron0518
05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I was wondering what made them think that the act of killing the mother and leaving the cubs was so deliberate. IMO, it was a mistake shooting the mother and another mistake leaving it like they did. I feel the story made it look like someone went out intentionally looking to do this.

quadrakid
05-11-2012, 09:11 PM
You folks are awful quick to judge when none of us really know the facts of what occured. If you hunt long enough you may find yourself inadvertently breaking a game law or doing something unethical,stuff happens.

hunter1993ap
05-11-2012, 09:19 PM
You folks are awful quick to judge when none of us really know the facts of what occured. If you hunt long enough you may find yourself inadvertently breaking a game law or doing something unethical,stuff happens.
there is a better way of handling it then leaving the bear in the bush! like letting a co know so they can deal with the cubs. $hit happens, how you deal with it is what matters.

mike 458
05-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I think this was terrible. I have hunted for 20 plus years and I see so many new untrained hunters out and all they want to do is start shooting. Take your time look and make sure of your target. I wish bear hunting in BC was more than just spot and stock. This person was not a hunter ..They are poachers!!

ianwuzhere
05-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Mike458 I agree with some people just wanting to get out and blast things. A few people i know-middle aged guys who recently got their core/pal just want to go out and blast any animal the way they talk. We as hunters must try to educate them as best we can to prevent wrongful things from happening..

Its hard to know what happened until you get both sides of the story, and it sux to see it on tv as everyone has soft spots for baby fuzzy bears, and now big bad hunters are everywhere..
Its definately wrong to shoot an animal like this. Let this be a reminder that when in doubt dont shoot...

Now get out there and find the big bruin who impregnated that sow!!! :)

firstshot
05-11-2012, 09:40 PM
This gives hunters a bad name. I say it wasn't a "hunter" who shot the bear. It was someone who wanted to shoot something or someone who wishes they were a hunter. I real hunter has ethics, knowlege and a level head, somewhone who is completely in tune with whats going on at all times of the hunt.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
so far this spring ive seen over 30 bears not once have i reached for my rifle or even attempted a stalk getting rathr good at judging size and waiting to spot cubs ect..... this is terrible as it gives bear hunting bad reputation this isnt going to be a case of one bad apple spoils the bunch alot of people see bears as a predator and useless animal ive heard sayings such as whats best thing after shooting a bear ? kicking it in the ditch :) lets just let this be a lesson to new or untrained hunters be sure of your target and beyond :)

cameron0518
05-11-2012, 10:29 PM
what have you found judgemental?

cameron0518
05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
you got that right!
Mike458 I agree with some people just wanting to get out and blast things. A few people i know-middle aged guys who recently got their core/pal just want to go out and blast any animal the way they talk. We as hunters must try to educate them as best we can to prevent wrongful things from happening..

Its hard to know what happened until you get both sides of the story, and it sux to see it on tv as everyone has soft spots for baby fuzzy bears, and now big bad hunters are everywhere..
Its definately wrong to shoot an animal like this. Let this be a reminder that when in doubt dont shoot...

Now get out there and find the big bruin who impregnated that sow!!! :)

The Dude
05-12-2012, 04:03 AM
What if it was some guy out hunting for bear, waited for a shot, and saw it had cubs, but only after he got in the middle (This almost happened to me, scary as hell), and he killed the mother in defence as it charged. Panicked, he fled, and fearing repurcussions he hasn't self-reported (yet?)

How many holes were in the bear? What calibre and bullet? Where's the link to the story? Post that first, then start thread.

Are they sure it was killed by a gun, and not another male bear or a road injury?

I agree that we have met the enemy, and it is us, but let's get all the facts here before we pass sentence.

Damn, I'll look it up myself.......... wait right here, OK?

The Dude
05-12-2012, 04:46 AM
...... nope. Not even on Global's Website. Links, please?

The Dude
05-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Found this. Short on details though:

http://wildlifeshelter.com/BearTalk.html

quadrakid
05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
My point is that the facts of what happened have not been posted so how can we judge the person who pulled the trigger?

quadrakid
05-12-2012, 06:08 AM
I don,t consider hearsay from a wildlife rescue group to be fact.

Pioneerman
05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Found this. Short on details though:

http://wildlifeshelter.com/BearTalk.html

The line from this page is annoying "Someone had killed the mother just for the sake of killing with babies in plain site." I find it hard top believe someone would kill for the sake of killing or that cubs were in plain site. If they know that then they know who shot the bear. They said cubs were 2 or 3 weeks old, and the ones they showed in the rubber maid container look pretty tiny and not something you would see in plain sight unless in a flat parking lot as they are so small. We might never know exactly what happened, and it is too bad that the little ones were part of it. I am a avid bear hunter and never shot a bear with cubs, but spring time it a waiting game as you have to watch for a long time to be sure. The small cubs could be walking next to mom in berry bushes and you would never see them. I have been charged 3 times by mom with cubs and almost had to shoot one once, but it did not get to that point.

willyqbc
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
"Someone had killed the mother just for the sake of killing with babies in plain site." I find it hard top believe someone would kill for the sake of killing or that cubs were in plain site.

While i agree that the statement about the mother being shot with the cubs in plain site is ridiculous as it would tend to indicate the scenario was witnessed by the lady in the article....and if so why has the perpetrator not been nabbed for it???
However, unfortunately I do think there are those out there that shoot bears on site and leave them to rot for no other reason than they are predators who can inflict a world of hurt on calves and fawns. I hear lots of people talk about stuff like "friggin bears....kill em all". Now i don't know if these types of folks are all talk or if they are actually out there popping bears when opportunity presents itself, but i suspect there is some of this type of behavior that goes on every year as I have personally found many whole bear carcasses in my travels over the years. Unfortunately the CO's here are stretched too thin to bother investigating a dead bear, heck we reported a poached moose complete with license plate number one year and were told that they would "try to check it out if they had time, but honestly, it probably won't be looked at". If they won't look into a gift wrapped moose poacher, what do you think the chances are they are gonna do anything about a dead bear???

Chris

Pioneerman
05-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with you Willyqbc some will give for the sake of killing, but like we both pointed out, if it was known to be a fact then it must have been seen. It is like painting all with the same brush not knowing the facts. And I have heard of people shooting bears like you also said because they eat deer, and some shoot and leave elk and deer for the sake of killing. It takes all kinds !!

The Dude
05-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Tend to indicate means nothing.

The Dude
05-12-2012, 09:30 AM
And the lady in the article drove 500 kms, after the fact, to retrieve the cubs, so she saw nothing.
I'm not advocating any transgressions here, I just want the facts.

NaStY
05-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Like all other years in the world of the intreweb, there are alot of story's of people doing this and that. Like any good story, most are hard to believe without some kind of proof of some kind. Insinuations and finger pointing does little for them.

While this story may well be true, it could also be truth that the female was killed by a boar while trying to protect her cubs or hit by something.

troutseeker
05-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I think this was terrible. I have hunted for 20 plus years and I see so many new untrained hunters out and all they want to do is start shooting. Take your time look and make sure of your target. I wish bear hunting in BC was more than just spot and stock. This person was not a hunter ..They are poachers!!

It is an unfortunate incident. But guess what? I've been hunting for 40+ years and there were hunters wanting to shoot everything back then as well. Stupid does not skip generations, it is learned as well as inherited...

Apolonius
05-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Starting this thread was not meant to be judgmental.To whoever this thing happened could be just a nightmare scenario i am happy i am not part of.The facts we know is what the tv gave us.The lady from Smithers would use any chance for some publicity.Cant blame her.I don't blame the hunter too.Many of us leave the house as hunters and comeback as poachers.I never meant to judge anyone...if i don't walk in their boots.But what people see is this.What politicians see is this.And anti hunters pray for stuff like that to use so the can shut the bear hunting season.I hope we all see what a very unfortunate thing it was.I don't want to see facts...we probably never will.Someone maybe lost lots of sleep already.You all probably notice this got more airtime than the Lytton sheep.I just hope we all learn and realize the effect this event have on us.I maybe getting too old but also more careful

NaStY
05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Starting this thread was not meant to be judgmental.To whoever this thing happened could be just a nightmare scenario i am happy i am not part of.The facts we know is what the tv gave us.The lady from Smithers would use any chance for some publicity.Cant blame her.I don't blame the hunter too.Many of us leave the house as hunters and comeback as poachers.I never meant to judge anyone...if i don't walk in their boots.But what people see is this.What politicians see is this.And anti hunters pray for stuff like that to use so the can shut the bear hunting season.I hope we all see what a very unfortunate thing it was.I don't want to see facts...we probably never will.Someone maybe lost lots of sleep already.You all probably notice this got more airtime than the Lytton sheep.I just hope we all learn and realize the effect this event have on us.I maybe getting too old but also more careful

.I don't blame the hunter too

Why was it a hunter that shot the sow?

.Many of us leave the house as hunters and comeback as poachers.

Pardon me????? And why is that. Please tell us all.........

I dont mean to call you out but maybe we can agree your account of the situation isnt what it seems. Dont paint us hunters as poachers.........

The Dude
05-13-2012, 02:22 AM
I never saw the bear story on TV, but it's a shame that they didn't hammer the Lytton sheep story more.
Two reasons for that:
#1 Rams aren't cuddly and soft like baby bears and bunnies and Bambis.
#2 As soon as any news agency learns that there were natives involved, they run from a story like...well, like frightened sheep.

Shame, cuz I'd trade ten bears for any sheep in BC.

Apolonius
05-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I do not paint hunters as poachers.I am a hunter too.Saying it was a hunter that shot the bear??No ,but that is the way it was shown on the tube.It could be anyone.About saying we leave home as hunters and come back as poacher i meant it in a way that many times wishful thinking grows antlers and horns where there aren't.It did happen to me and i believe to manny others.I did not feel as a poacher but still feel bad and shitty.I do not go out anymore with pictures in my mind of killing this and that.I take the time and make the effort.True a poacher is not a hunter that screws up.But the news present that picture every time.And we pay the price.City folks think different....i can just imagine the donations flowing.If it was a poacher they would be done a little different...more professional.Any way i don't blame anyone ,i just think this are lessons we learn from.My little point is if you go out and shit in the woods cover it!!!!And shit happens.

The Dawg
05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I do not paint hunters as poachers.I am a hunter too.Saying it was a hunter that shot the bear??No ,but that is the way it was shown on the tube.It could be anyone.About saying we leave home as hunters and come back as poacher i meant it in a way that many times wishful thinking grows antlers and horns where there aren't.It did happen to me and i believe to manny others.I did not feel as a poacher but still feel bad and shitty.I do not go out anymore with pictures in my mind of killing this and that.I take the time and make the effort.True a poacher is not a hunter that screws up.But the news present that picture every time.And we pay the price.City folks think different....i can just imagine the donations flowing.If it was a poacher they would be done a little different...more professional.Any way i don't blame anyone ,i just think this are lessons we learn from.My little point is if you go out and shit in the woods cover it!!!!And shit happens.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/34/Flame-Flame_on.jpg

Jelvis
05-13-2012, 09:11 PM
When you fellas go out hunting for bears have you ever seen a bear that looks like a sow?
Please explain how?
Black bears look a lot alike, if deer dint have antlers, how would you tell if it were a doe or buck?
Some thing to think about, I don't shoot bears myself since the time I was a young fella I got a big black bear boar.
It was large, big head. But if it was small for meat say, how the H wood yah tell. William?
Jel(Bad)News Bears

Apolonius
05-14-2012, 08:02 PM
This is for noahwdawg.Personal.Many of you did not like my explanation.Noahdawg burned me with his flaming shit.Well i will just give you the scenario.This hunter went out hopeful to bag a bear.Despite doing his best he screws up and kills the sow.He sees the little ones and feeling like shit goes home.There are three thing he could do.1:call the CO and pay the piper.For sure they would treat him like a child molester....or worst.2:he does nothing and leaves the stuff for all to see and all to be blamed.I know we all say it wasn't a "hunter".But it reflects to all hunters in a negative way.It affected me.When someone shoots the road signs everywhere...not a "hunter"it affects me.If this are not hunters who the hell is left...maybe noahdawg with his halo over his head.So if you screw up take responsibility or cover your shit so no one sees or smells or steps on .Because anyone that goes to the woods is blamed everafter.And if you screw up like we all do at one time or the other just do take responsibility and do the right thing or the wrong thing.You learned your lesson and move on.I DID stop doing all the questionable rules hunting long time ago.No more nine point this or that flying or walking.And bear hunting must be the worst.So noahdawg get of your high horse .....there are no angels here....maybe next life!!!!..I do apologize for saying a screw up makes a hunter a poacher.Just slipped.

Jelvis
05-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Hey, a "Poacher" is anyone who knowingly does something wrong against the BC Wildlife Act, or how a person would judge the actions in their own mind, what ever in our minds. Two different things.
If you think someone who shot a bear let the cubs suffer? It's all intentions, inside why did he shoot that bear?
Why did he or she kill this bear?
If it was a mistake or just dint care? Intentions of the heart and mind.
Maybe it was getting dark at the end of the day and he or she shot and as it was getting darker, looked and saw the sow and thought holy sheet, I blew it, who knows? Only the unfortunate bear which is dead and the shooter who blew it.
Or someone came and the person was going to poach all of the bears for gall bladders and paws?
See how fast it can go, when we don't know what, who,when,where and how? Eh? No smoking gun.
I say if a person shoots another persons tag to fill the limit in gos or leh, that would be poaching, unless a group hunt or validated on tag restrictions. If a person say was hunting with his buddy in mule deer gos for four points and were allowed one each on their personal mule deer tag. One guy gets a nice four and they go home. Shooter tags it, cancels his tag. Now a week before closing the two go hunting to fill the other guys tag. If the other hunter takes a four to fill his buddies, that to me is a type or grade of "Poaching"
Or a person says, "I'll cancel my tag at home." To me that is against the BCWL-Act
It's not up to me to investigate a dead animal that would be a C.O. who got a complaint from a person.
I can only imagine or try to see how many different scenarios I could dream up with out the facts mam.
Jel (Just) the Facts Mam

05-14-2012, 10:48 PM
a POACHER is NOT a HUNTER!

Make examples of unethical acts like this ........ it is against the law. !

CY

NaStY
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Just because you think or thought you heard it, doesn't mean it's true. We have yet to see where there was a hunter involved in what your talking about.

This thread is pointless with out true facts.

The Dawg
05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey Apple...where did I once attack you the way you just did to me?

Me posting 'Flame On' basically meant you had opened up your own can of worms and were open to 'Flaming' by the members of the forum by stating that you agreed with covering up this act.

See the posts above mine? Thats the 'Flame' that I said was gonna happen.

buck nash
05-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Again, we don't have the facts here. how 'bout this scererio;

Moma's feeding on the rd early in the morning when the HUNTER spots her. Meanwhile cubs are playing in the brush nearby but out of sight of the hunter. Hunter looks the bear over and she's big enough to be a boar and it's got a great coat. He watches her for 5,10,15 maybe even 20 minutes..no cubs..lets shoot it. Hunter takes the shot from a hundred yards away, the shot lands high and the bear runs into the brush. Hunter makes his/her way to where the bear was shot and begins looking for blood. hunter sees no blood at all cause that great coat soaked up all the blood preventing any from leaving a trail to follow. Hunter searches for several hours in the hot sun and doesn't see any blood or good tracks and starts to think "I didn't feel good about that shot, maybe it went right over the bears back and it was a clean miss?, and anyhow by now it's 25degrees celcius, the bear would've been shot 6hrs ago, so the meats no good anyhow. F--- it I'm going home" Meanwhile moma bear dies, her cubs find her and stay with her til dicovered by whoever found them.

Just sayin... we don't know what happened and folks are pretty quick to slit eachother's throats before knowing what happened. You read about guys watching bears for 10 minutes without seeing a cub all the time. How many only wainted 9 minutes? I'm guessing it happens more then we read about. And with this "hangin's not good enough for him" mentality combined with penalties that can be pretty harsh for an accident, there's more that goes unreported than there should to be.

The Dude
05-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Any new insights on this story? Official-wise? Anyone know the Bear Rescue people or the CO that would have been involved?