PDA

View Full Version : Living off the land

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
have a quick quesiton on this topic

years ago me and my sister found a fairly danty cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere and for the last few years we have fixed it up and stayed in it over the summer and into hunting season. theres a creek near by and plenty of wildlife to live off of. ive been laid off work now for almost a year and i dont really have the urge to go back anytime soon. so i was thinking about going up to my cabin and staying for the better part of a year. im going to live off the land and i guess i would like some insight on what kinda things i would need for this to be succsesful . im going to have a few buddies come up and stay with me perodically and with the loft addition to the cabin theres plenty of room. but i dont plan on coming back to civilization for at least 6 months

05-11-2012, 11:01 AM
good luck!
are you damned sure it aint a trappers cabbin?
you ever skin Grizz?

new hunter
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
better learn about edible plants , etc .
May have to register as a sustenance hunter in order to hunt out of season for food .
Either that or have plenty of cash saved up to buy groceries , you have to eat and it takes a fair ammount of skill to survive as a hunter gatherer.
Ever read "into the wild "?
You may want to change your screen name to "Alexander Supertramp ".
Good luck .

boxhitch
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
me and my sister found a fairly danty cabin in the woodsOh, the images ...........

6 months ? Thats would make a decent camping trip, hardly a survival mission.
Study up on bushcraft

sapper
05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm just curious about the legalities of this. Is what you describing called squatting?
On a side note, have you ever seen the PBS show, "Alone in the Wilderness"?

Jelvis
05-11-2012, 11:47 AM
It depends where in BC, and what six months of the year, winter or summer.
Six months is nothing to extreme either. More like a long vacation in the bush.
Take lots of bic lighters and a saw for lighting some cozy fires in camp.
Have a good rifle(small caliber) for plinking.
Take a few bandages(first aid kit) in case you cut yourself when axing firewood.
Other than that should be fun until the M.O.F. show up and talk at yah.
Jelly(Cabin) Fever .. Have fun and take a camera so we can see what you did after you come out.
When are you leaving?

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
i plan to stay within the hunting regulations for eating meat i went throught the regs and it looks like theres enough animals i can harvest to eat. im going to be leaving in about 5 to 7 days. yess i have watched alone in the wilderness. great show.. im getting 2 old freeezers dropped off up there and a generator.

schilly101
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
your going to run a generator for 6 months to keep your freezers cold?..huh...better save up lotsa cash for that fuel bill!

Gateholio
05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Buy a pressure canner to can your meat for storage. Don't let the jars freeze, either:)

elkdom
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
if the "cabin " is not either on leased land ?, deeded land ? or a registered trappers cabin ?, when the Ministry of Forests becomes aware of it's location ?? the MOF will come in, bulldoze it to the ground , and burn the remaining RUBBLE ! :shock:

and maybe give YOU the BILL for the clean-up co$t$,,,, :cry: lol

bridger
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
if that were my plan i wouldnt be making it public as per elkdom's post.

elkdom
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
if that were my plan i wouldnt be making it public as per elkdom's post.

I really HATE finding those "ef'n HIPPY-SQUATS in the wilderness" :evil:

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 12:51 PM
im not using the generator for the freezers im digging holes for the freezers lid deep that should keep them cool .
all the time ive spent at the cabin ive only met a handfull that have found our cabin and they just compliment on how nice of spot we have. no one has asked questions

bighornbob
05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
im not using the generator for the freezers im digging holes for the freezers lid deep that should keep them cool .
all the time ive spent at the cabin ive only met a handfull that have found our cabin and they just compliment on how nice of spot we have. no one has asked questions

Just dont become one of those pricks that thinks he owns the area/land just becuase they live there. Also dont be mad when someone comes up and says get out of my cabin???

BHB

BCrams
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
I got a feeling the folks who own the cabin might like the underground 'freezer' you're donating.

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
nobody has been around there in over 5 years. it was an old run down cabin that im gussing was a homestead back in the early 30s

05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
You know you could use wood and frame your "freezers" in. That way you arent burring garbage in the ground. All you need is some plywood.

Foxton Gundogs
05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Yep time goes by, you get run out by the MOF or move on lids get covered by debris and leaves,the lids rot, people forget. Some ussuspecting soul comes along in 10 yrs steps on it....Buried freezers BAD IDEA

GreyDog
05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
If there have been people come around, it ain't that remote. If you can reach it in less than a couple days walk, it ain't that remote. Personally, I see nothing wrong with squatting on crown land; providing it is remote enough. If it's remote enough, no one will ever know. If it's not, they will. GD

r106
05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Just dont become one of those pricks that thinks he owns the area/land just becuase they live there. Also dont be mad when someone comes up and says get out of my cabin???

BHB

ya thats a big X2 If you found a cabin that belongs to know one and do little things to fix it up and anyone who comes along shares it then no big deal, but you have refered to it a couple of times as " yours" well guess what it's not.

Other than that good luck have fun and don't leave a mess

05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
How is he supposed to last 6 months without being able to freeeze shit?

GrandA
05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
"At the end of the day there is usually a lot more said than done.." Congrats on actually doing something that requires stepping outside of the norm. Im jealous and wouldnt worry about the little issues some guys mention you'll overcome them.

moosinaround
05-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Good luck!! Nice idea, but watch reruns of pioneer quest. Takes a lot to actually "Live" off the land. Do you know what a years supply of firewood looks like? Especially with an in efficient appliance? Just let someone know where you are going to be so folks don't spend important search and rescue dollars looking for your silly a$$!! Moosin

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
there cell phone service there and im bringing my solar powered recharger for it. if i need help. the cabin is only about a 15 min walk from the main road but its in hidden pretty good. i cut a quad trail in from the back side but you cant see where the trail starts so no one finds it. so im not to concerned about my safety. im building a storage shed this year out back by the garden. to keep my quad and stuff dry .

huntingmom
05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
All I can say is...good for you. I betcha the time you've finished your six months....you'll be healthier than most of us.

markt308
05-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Right on man hope it's a good experience. Ignore the negativity, most guys including myself are probly jelous that we gotta deal with work and city life while your out there chillin the woods! I'm sure you'll learn a lot

Bromley
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Dito markt308...... good for you. I will only be upset if you dont bring back pictures!

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 02:33 PM
i just bought a new dog too hes going to love it up there. plus keep away the bears im hoping.

pieter
05-11-2012, 02:34 PM
just remember claude dallas and behave yourself

Jagermeister
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
6 months eh! Yo' mommy will not let you in the door after 6 months with no bath. How you gonna warsh you arse? Especially right after you wiped it with the leaves from some stinging nettle.
You say only a handful of people of aware of it. Well bud, if that handful know about it, then they told a handful and the handful told another handful and ................... get the picture?
And only 15 minutes from the road. Not too far from the road to check for roadkill, now "that's living off the land". Too close to the road to shot anything as sooner or later, someone is going to hear a shot and tell someone who will come and investigate and next thing you know your in the swamp with alligators snapping at your dingle berries.
I think you should find something about 15 km from the road, then you will have solitude.

markt308
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
what part of BC? LML? koots? chilcotin?

stitch
05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Is your sister living there with you??? I hear banjos :eek:

jetboat jim
05-11-2012, 03:32 PM
what are you going to shoot and eat in july and august ?

scoutlt1
05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't want to sound negative, but 15 minutes off the main road in cel range isn't very far in at all so don't be surprised or dissapointed if someone all of a sudden comes along and tells you that you're on their land.
Either way, good on you for taking on this kind of adventure.
I would make sure you have lots of TP, ammo, salt, first-aid supplies (hope you know how to use them), etc. and enough cash to pay for the generator and your cel bill. Also I hope you know how to grow your own food, preserve it, and split up a hell of a lot of wood to stay warm. I am assuming (hopefully) that you have LOTS of hunting/outdoor experience.
Stay safe and I'm sure many of us want to see your before and after pictures :-)

huntingpg
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

cuthroat fish
stonesheep

Pioneerman
05-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Again in cell range and a 15 min walk does not sound remote, but does sound like a interesting life, for a while at least. Can you share any photo's of what your place looks like.? Have you stayed there in winter before, what kind of snow depths do you get there ?

The Dawg
05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.confusereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hillbilly1243033464.jpg

http://www.starwarped.net/files/pics/page-2/original_files/funny-Star-Wars-Deliverance-parody.jpg

http://wheresrooster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/1-deliverance.gif

RiverOtter
05-11-2012, 04:46 PM

cuthroat fish
stonesheep

Good luck with that.....:-D

Darksith
05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
pay no attention to the trolling haters, they are simply jealous. Enjoy the adventure, remember its all to simply have a good time and a new experience, and if anyone does come along and claim that its theres, invite them in and show them your upgrades, maybe they'll give you half.

schilly101
05-11-2012, 05:43 PM
im kinda curious..how long does fish and sheep meat last in burried freezers?

ianwuzhere
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Get good with a smoker and smoke meat.. bring ziplocs to nicely store the dried meat. You can use willows sawdust cut with chainsaw for the smoker. dont forget your camera as i could be another "alone in the wilderness" episode if the 6 months turn into 20years. Have good fishin gear-maybe 2 rod/reels in case one breaks. Maybe some snare wire too..

-When i have a crappy day at work or dont feel like going to work sometimes what your gonna do sounds appealing!
-The dog will be good company from going stir crazy- if bored just phone a few people up and chat all nite long!!!

Jelvis
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
If you can do it, I could not last more than six days on a PG moose hunt never mind 6 months.
.. Watch that show with Burt Reynolds and his buddy in Deliverance.
Jel good luck I don't jest in your qwest, for the best in the west, you must invest time and stick out that chest

swampthing
05-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Right on guy. Head out and have fun. When I was younger and not working steady, I would take my camper out and set it up at a nice lake somewhere. I would then live there over the summer months. I would head into town most weekends and party it up with the boys. It was simpler times and I miss it. Shootin, fishin, training the lab. Enjoying the simple life of a young man just starting to find his way in life. I wish I could go do it again. Have fun.

Jelvis
05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Make sure you take anti venom medicine too. Those bush spiders can bite and they are potent with spit.
Bushrats contaminating your grub. Hornets, wasps, spiders and snakes. Do not drink water out of ponds.
.. Boy Scouts say, " Be Prepared." .. If the spider bites your eyelid when your sleeping go to the hospital ..
Jp (Iron Mike's) Spike Camp .. Mandatory Precautions .. If things can go wrong .. they will .. take a pill ....
Jelly big Belly (BAD) Intentions .. west of the Lauren-chins .. bad things happen to good people 2 ..........

jtred
05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a blast. Have fun, should be a really good experience. Please don't leave a mess.

KodiakHntr
05-11-2012, 07:42 PM

cuthroat fish
stonesheep

Good luck with that.....:-D

Hmmmmm...... Cell service. 15 minute walk from a main road. Quad trail. Garden.

And cutties and Stone sheep? This thread reeks of rambling bullshit. Or trolling. More likely a bullshitter trolling.

Jelvis
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Something does seem a little yappy yoodly.
but there is only one Yappy Yoodle Dog .. ..
jp.moorgunz

Crimson Viking
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey is a link to a good bushcraft site. Tons of info on there.

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/index.php

enjoy and good luck

Moose Guide
05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Where is Fisher Dude, 5 pages and no FD rant, is he sick? This guy is obviously a welfare collect'n, NDP vote'n, illegal cabin use'n, cutthroat fish poach'n, illegal trail cuttin, freezer burying, Vandezalm love'n, Canuck root'n, Red wing hate'n, guide outfitter type! Oh well, sooner or later he'll post.

MikeH
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

swampthing
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Where is Fisher Dude, 5 pages and no FD rant, is he sick? This guy is obviously a welfare collect'n, NDP vote'n, illegal cabin use'n, cutthroat fish poach'n, illegal trail cuttin, freezer burying, Vandezalm love'n, Canuck root'n, Red wing hate'n, guide outfitter type! Oh well, sooner or later he'll post.

You dont pull any punches do ya. Thanks for the laugh.

Moose Guide
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
You dont pull any punches do ya. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm bored!!!!, No offense to the OP!

czechsanchez
05-11-2012, 11:23 PM
if you don't find a female sasquatch to turn in to a "forest bride" I'm gonna suggest a fleshlight to take along for those lonely nights.

sobirch
05-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Good luck with yer grow op

showtime
05-12-2012, 02:38 AM
What does a guy do with his house while he's in the bush for 6 months?

elkdom
05-12-2012, 07:59 AM
What does a guy do with his house while he's in the bush for 6 months?

some body else lives in his house cause he got kicked out for NOT payin his rent,
some body else drives his pic-up truck cause it got re-possessed,
somebody else is shaggin his woman cause he caught Crabs down at the peeler bar while he was drinkin beer, smokin dope, and whore'n, spendin his rent money and truck payments, when he should have been at home lookin after his ol'lady

now you know why some guys end up "alone in the wilderness",,,,
even if it is only 200 yards from the highway ?

it is still "alone" lol

77Gunner
05-12-2012, 08:00 AM
There is a book called back to basics by readers digest that would probably be a good read while your out there, worth its weight in silver. You should also chronicle your time in a journal so when you get back you can transcribe it here so we can read it in the winter months, LOL Good luck man.

elkdom
05-12-2012, 08:08 AM
There is a book called back to basics by readers digest that would probably be a good read while your out there, worth its weight in silver. You should also chronicle your time in a journal so when you get back you can transcribe it here so we can read it in the winter months, LOL Good luck man.

I'm thinkin along the lines a "journal" of "one man squatting near a highway" ?

would be at least worth it's weight in "toilet paper"

on the other hand ? what use is toilet paper if your stavin to death anyway ?:-|

hunter1959
05-12-2012, 08:30 AM
good for you to go out and do this lots of people would love to do this i would for sure

elkdom
05-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Martin Luther King had " A Dream",,,,,,,,,,,he TOLD the World,,,,,,,,,

look where IT got him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-|

Wild one
05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
The cabin you found is probably an old trappers, mining, or outfitters cabin. It may not have been in use for the time you have found it but if the trapline, guide territory or mining rights change to a new owner you will loose all the work you put in. Also they would have full rights to tell you to take a hike and there will be nothing you could do about it.

If it is none of the above reasons the cabin is there it will most likely be burned to the ground if the ministry finds out about it.

Very rare there are cabins in the bush that are there for no reason. The cabin does not belong to you and for this reason your dream could turn into your nightmare

huntwriter
05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
After reading through all the negativity here I would have to say go ahead huntingpg. Follow your dream and make the best of it.

doubled
05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Good luck with yer grow op

Bingo, we have a winner folks. 6 months = harvest time!!! $$$ = move back to city to pay bills.

nature girl
05-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Now that sounds like a great adventure. Its far away for you but if you need help atleast you have the cell phone. Or the main road is a 15 minute walk away. Maybe get a spot for backup.
I bought a book at pricesmart a few months back about living of the land it was a good book. Sorry, I cant remember the name as I gave the book to someone. It tells you how to do a underground root cellar. It may be better then bringing in 2 freezers.
Now dont forget the BUG SPRAY AND MOSQUITO HEAD NET.
Somehow with the creek you could hook something up to get power.
Maybe you should take 6 months supply of some multi vitamins with you.
And definately bring a book on edible plants and I think Id stay away from any mushrooms.
I will look forward to hear your return in 6 months to hear of your adventures.
Good luck
nature girl

huntingpg
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=Wild one;1148317]The cabin you found is probably an old trappers, mining, or outfitters cabin. It may not have been in use for the time you have found it but if the trapline, guide territory or mining rights change to a new owner you will loose all the work you put in. Also they would have full rights to tell you to take a hike and there will be nothing you could do about it.

If it is none of the above reasons the cabin is there it will most likely be burned to the ground if the ministry finds out about it.

im thinking its an old mining cabin.. there was a few things left inside old boxes that look like they might have held old school explosives. to all you haters wow.. im just living in the moment what happens happens. nothings been said for over 5 years .. im just going to let it ride.

huntingpg
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
i should add... the road that its close to isnt a main fsr its a old im guessing mining road that not to many people drive up expecially the last 5 or so km. so dont think im right beside the highway

showtime
05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
This in pg?

r106
05-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Holly crap guy's, some of you guy's are d*cks. who cares were the cabin is or how the access is. Sounds like great place for someone thats never done something like this before. It's a lot safer. Funny you never here anyone say Hunter1947 is out growing weed.

6 months may not be that impressive for you pro's sitting on your couch or at your computer but for the average person 6 months in the bush is a long time without a 35' fithwheel. Maybe bring some extra food for the summer months to get by until some vegies start growing and deer or moose open. Relying on getting a stonesheep is not a good idea. Otherwise giver enjoy the experience and maybe you'll do it again for a longer period of time. use this as a good learning experience for next time

Wild one
05-12-2012, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Wild one;1148317]The cabin you found is probably an old trappers, mining, or outfitters cabin. It may not have been in use for the time you have found it but if the trapline, guide territory or mining rights change to a new owner you will loose all the work you put in. Also they would have full rights to tell you to take a hike and there will be nothing you could do about it.

im thinking its an old mining cabin.. there was a few things left inside old boxes that look like they might have held old school explosives. to all you haters wow.. im just living in the moment what happens happens. nothings been said for over 5 years .. im just going to let it ride.

In the end it is your call just know the risks involved. The main thing I would suggest is do not invest any money or time into this cabin you are not willing to loose.

As for it not being on a main forestry road that is normal. Most of the time when a cabin is built in the bush the owner tries to pick a spot where it is not going to be seen by everyone

skinarama
05-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Wow! HBC should change its name to Haters BC! I am shocked at the amount of negativity towards this guy who was just asking for tips on survival. My mom taught me "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I say, good luck man! Seriously jealous of the adventure before you! Hope you have a safe, fun, educating experience!!

huntingpg
05-12-2012, 09:52 AM
im going to run to home depot today and get some supplies to build a dam and water line. the creeeks not far and i think theres enough of a slope to have some sort of running water tap.

Wild one
05-12-2012, 10:28 AM
im going to run to home depot today and get some supplies to build a dam and water line. the creeeks not far and i think theres enough of a slope to have some sort of running water tap.

Go do some research before you start doing anything

For starters you can't dam the creek because it is illegal

huntingpg
05-12-2012, 10:46 AM
im not aloud to run water into a 5 gallon bucket then run some hose to my cabin?

Darksith
05-12-2012, 10:49 AM
don't be makin a mess of the habitat in the area...thats not livin off the land, thats just being a loser squatting hippy. you do that and someone might take offence, and you might just end up in your buried freezer

Ambush
05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Be respectfull of the area, realize that it's not "yours" and if you have to move on, there should be little evidence that you were ever there.

Some of you guys probably make a bigger mess in one weekend of drinking and fishing.

schilly101
05-12-2012, 11:02 AM
wow..."dont pool up the creek with rocks!! thats illegal!!" dont live in a cabin for the summer "ITS ILLEGAL!!" ...do some of you spend hours every morning going thru the law books making sure you dont do somthing illegal today?..i realy wonder if some of u guys have anything left down stairs if u know what i mean...i think your a bit of a dreamer buddy but if u wanna go try living off the land for a while and grow a crop..have fun! lol

bc mike
05-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I used creek water for my camps. One had a dam channel two others used a pool with perforated pipe capped with a hose outlet. Easy stuff to buy from your home depot. This was all completely LEGAL for me. Keep in mind there are many animals that would enjoy a quick meal from your garden! Enjoy your experience. Just go and do it!

Foxton Gundogs
05-12-2012, 11:25 AM

OK my only comment to date was freezers in the ground bad idea and I outlined why. BUT honestly you cant be damming creeks, you dont have waterrights and even if you did it;s not something you can just go do you will have the MOE/MOF/Fisheries all over you. Go have the experience but be relistic and know what you can and cant do. Good luck

hunterdon
05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Whatever the outcome, it sounds like a good learning experience. The word that I really hate is the word "can't". Especially when it's aimed at me. Just because some believe they can't do this or that, doesn't meant that YOU can't. But, I think all here will agree that just be sure to keep things clean, especially when you leave. Be safe and best wishes!

schilly101
05-12-2012, 11:55 AM
common...hes moving a few rocks to pool the water so he can put a bucket and hose in the water...not change the creek channel with a 330 road builder...loosen the hat a lil bit..

yukon john
05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
After reading through all the negativity here I would have to say go ahead huntingpg. Follow your dream and make the best of it.
I agree, leave the guy alone, its a cool idea and I hope it works out for him. There is thousands of old cabins in bc that the govt doesnt know about and they arent going to cruise hbc looking for leads so they can go burn them down. Good luck young fella and remember Claude Dallas ''A mans got a right to hangin' some meat when he's living this far from town''

Gateholio
05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah just go for it. Forget the naysayers. Use some common sense and respect when dealing with natural resources and have fun.

Worst that can happen is that you fail, and that's not always a bad thing. At least you will have tried and will have learned something.

sky-gunner
05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Fck the haters man, follow your dreams and do what you like, don't let people hold you back. Go for it, I hope it works out. There is nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, and quite often it leads to success or lessons learned that are otherwise not possible. Living a safe, sheltered and unadventurous life is a bigger tragedy than living in a found cabin for 6 months. Like I said hope it works out, at worse Ito make for a good story later in life. Don't ever let someone else's fear or hate hold you back.

scoutlt1
05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Be careful, respect the land you are on and enjoy the experience of a lifetime!

Don't be like Christopher McCandless, be like Dick Proenneke!

Rock Doctor
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking that you should just do a quick search online, and see if you can stake a claim there. If it's in an open area, get your Free Miners Licence and have at it. Any monkey can get one, I've had mine for yrs, and also have claims in some pretty nice hunting/fishing spots.

Foxton Gundogs
05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
common...hes moving a few rocks to pool the water so he can put a bucket and hose in the water...not change the creek channel with a 330 road builder...loosen the hat a lil bit..

Actually the post I replied to said he was going to Home Depot to "get matterials to build a dam" hence my response, nothing was said about just moving a few rocks. Never once have I said dont do it just comenting on things that may get the kid in trouble.

snowhunter
05-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Say Hello to Sasquatch :)

Jagermeister
05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I think the original poster should rent the movie, "Into the Wild". A true account of an epic saga of Christopher McCandless, as garnered from his logbook which was discoverd about 3 weeks after his demise.
Chris does venture more than a stones throw from a public highway though.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless
Then go out and live your dream.

Jelvis
05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
It sounds like a terrific place to pan for gold nuggets. Take a gold pan with you and sift the sand and gravel while your up there.
Jel (Gold) Fever ..

Gateholio
05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
McCandless was an idiot....

Jagermeister
05-12-2012, 02:24 PM
McCandless was an idiot....
NO! NO! He had a "dream"!:mrgreen:

huntingpg
05-12-2012, 02:32 PM
YOU guys act like this place is right off the road... trust me its pretty remote . its a long drive up north. theres probably not many of you that can sit on the front step of your cabin and glass stone sheep

pro 111
05-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a trip many of us only dream about but will never actually get around to do it. Life is short and the memories from that outing will be with you forever. I say good on you and wish you the best of luck. Just try not to end up like Cheslay Mike. LOL. I would for sure invest in a canner , and take lots of rice , and salt. Sounds like a hell of an adventure. Be safe.

bowhuntersparks
05-12-2012, 06:06 PM
you know that there is no recorded humans that actually lived alone they have always been pairs or groups the idea of being alone is how u lose grip of yourself if alone to long. but good on u for trying to get out there!

r106
05-12-2012, 06:12 PM
you know that there is no recorded humans that actually lived alone they have always been pairs or groups the idea of being alone is how u lose grip of yourself if alone to long. but good on u for trying to get out there!

Alone in the wilderness guy was alone 95% of the time for 20 years. or however long it was.

Jagermeister
05-12-2012, 07:37 PM
This is a saga of inconsistencies. Not far off the road, within cell service, stone's from the porch, a handful of people have been by, cuthroats in the nearby stream and on and on.....................
Hey! I think someone said "TROLL"

russm
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Haha totally sounds like another "lion hunting"thread.

thunderheart
05-12-2012, 08:25 PM
enjoy your self .. worry about the legalities another time ..... does a man good to fend for himself like you plan.. and Gatehouse has the best idea so far ... good luck..keep us posted if opertunity knocks

deer nut
05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Cool! Better bring supplies though!! Just like the old-timers: salt, raisins, flour, beans, bullets etc. Don't want to end up like Alexander Supertramp! Oh, and watch Jeremiah Johnson and "One Man's Wilderness" (the story of Dick Proenekke (?) at Twin Lakes Alaska) a few times!! Good luck & keep us posted!

Moose Guide
05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Go do some research before you start doing anything

For starters you can't dam the creek because it is illegal

No, you can't get CAUGHT damming a creek! It is only illegal if you get caught!!!!!

The Dude
05-13-2012, 01:26 AM
There are some inconsitencies that lean toward a "Troll Bridge", I'll give you that. A faint whiff of Yappy Yoodle Dog here.
I also agree that McCandless was an idiot. Almost on par with Timothy 'Fedwell'.

So HPG, if you're serious, watch 700 Miles Alone,(Bruce Nelson), Alone in the Wilderness (Dick Proenneke), etc.
If you wanna know what NOT to do, watch Into the Wild with McCandless, and Grizzly Man, with Treadwell.

Gateholio
05-13-2012, 09:33 AM
You know, I did something like this for a few years. I was 25 years old, on my own land that I bought though. Spent all my savings on the land, so had to build a house in stages, as money came in. It was a couple of years before I had enough money to pay for hydro poles to the house, so no electricity. I pumped water from the creek for several years before I had enough for a proper well and septic field and used an outhouse for a long time. I had a generator that I'd fire up to use power tools or when we wanted to watch a movie. :)

While I wouldn't really want to go back to the days of no electricity or running water, you get used to it and it wasn't that bad. Of course, I was in my 20's then, not 40's! :)In the summer we had an outdoor shower and I always miss that. I should probably build another one some day. :)

showtime
05-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Do you have a family? What do they think?

MichelD
05-13-2012, 11:49 AM
"You know, I did something like this for a few years. I was 25 years old, on my own land that I bought though."

Me too. Almost exactly the same age, same scenario. With a wife and child too. What I found is that being able to have enough ground to grow lots of potatoes was important, as well as other root vegetables that keep well. But you have to be able to store them where they won't freeze.

As hunters we tend to over emphasize the importance of game animals in a 'survival ' scenario. That's all very nice, but having plenty of flour and rice on hand as well as sugar, coffee, tea and other things like yeast and baking powder is probably just as important if not more important than meat. And you can't shoot that stuff. I raised ducks, chickens and goats and a regular supply of eggs and milk was critical, particularly in years of lean employment.

I usually got a deer and a bear every year and until we got a freezer, it all went into jars. But you need a good pressure cooker, and lots of glass jars and lids to do that. Plus a really good cook stove where you can keep the heat consistent long enough to get up to and maintain the required pressure.

If you look at the Alone in the Wilderness films, the story of Dick Proenneke as far as I can tell, he barley mentions hunting.

And you need lots of firewood. I used some wood off the land but much of it was cedar and some good fir logs occasionally washed up on the beach so I'd just as often be burning fir off the beach as hemlock off the land.

If you're squatting on Crown land every tree you cut down is a forestry violation.

blink1
05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
i would consider a garden too for some fresh veggies and such should also help save on the grocery bill also mabye some solar cells or a wind generator too keep your deep freeze going

pappy
05-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Cool idea, I couldn't do it. I'd miss my wifes t&a too much. It would be fun for a couple of weeks here and there through out the year.

f350ps
05-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Good on you for tryin but wouldn't be easier to just get a job? K

leadpillproductions
05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Good on you for doing this u won't forget it I've allways wanted to do this .I will do it one day also let us know how the adventure goes

bridger
05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
YOU guys act like this place is right off the road... trust me its pretty remote . its a long drive up north. theres probably not many of you that can sit on the front step of your cabin and glass stone sheep

True. On the other hand have you had experience with extreme cold for weeks on end? How about deep snow for months on end? The rigors of just survivng a cold northern winter in deep snow years is something you really need to think about. Good luck in your adventure.

burger
05-13-2012, 06:49 PM
True. On the other hand have you had experience with extreme cold for weeks on end? How about deep snow for months on end? The rigors of just survivng a cold northern winter in deep snow years is something you really need to think about. Good luck in your adventure.

Said it was for 6 months. Would put him into maybe Oct. Good luck buddy. lots o candles would be one thing, level 1 first aid kit, some seed potatoes to see how they do. lots of salt, build a smoker for the fish...lots of books and maybe a wind up radio

ElectricDyck
05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Martin Luther King had " A Dream",,,,,,,,,,,he TOLD the World,,,,,,,,,

look where IT got him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-|

Bahahahahah! I almost spit my bourbon! Hilarious!

I'm with swampthing, I'd do the trailer thing, at least it's yours or look into the miner thing. Leaving a bunch of stuff at or putting work into something you have no claim to seems strange to me. I'd bring some yeast and a small still, nothing better than some moonshine, glacier water and some salty jerky on a rainy day.

goatdancer
05-13-2012, 08:29 PM
One thing to think about. What will happen if you are having a fire going and forestry spots the smoke? Think maybe they'll investigate?

bigneily
05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know who Mike Oros was? Read the book descent into madness. He was one crazy mo-fo, Too many days alone took there toll.

Jelvis
05-13-2012, 09:27 PM
What will you do if a grizz crashes the front door? Or comes to the window looking in. Or some timber wolves come and circle your cabin? You said it was a stones throw to the sheep. Wolverine sneaks in while your out and when you return and open the door and it leaps at your throat?
Jel .. Don't laugh stranger things have happened .. Are you ready for an extreme outdoor experience? :twisted: .. Hahahahahha
..Veddy Sceddy

Moose63
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
If you're squatting on Crown land every tree you cut down is a forestry violation.[/QUOTE]

This shouldn't be a concern, seeing all the wood wasted by the forest companies.....

Jelvis
05-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I personally would not do what your suggesting but wish you well in your adventure, I would be thinking of things that could happen. lol.
Someone running from the law and comes up and sees you in a cabin, needs a vehicle and some weapons, BAM!
Jel(Twilight)Zone .. Home Alone .. All by your lonesome .. rather have a gruesome twosome .. Black widows .. SLAM!

buck nash
05-14-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm assuming you're young and single??? Better do it now cause you'll be hard pressed to find a wife who would be into it. Not saying they don't exist, just saying they're hard to come by. A lot of nay sayers here, which is a bit surprising considering it's a hunting site and I'd of thought wilderness living would be more encouraged. Maybe lots of guys whose wives won't let them dream?? Someone said don't invest any time or money. Really?? OK I can see not sinking a ton of cash into it but if you keep it rustic then you'll probably be living pretty cheap. As for time, it sounds like you got lots of it on your hands and this is as good of way as any to spend your it.

If you do end up getting ousted by the man, who cares? You haven't lost anything but a bit of cash that you probably would've pissed away cause you're young and time that probably could have been wasted in less enriching ways like talking to strangers on the internet for example. Most of the stuff you'd spend money on would be stuff you'd take with you if you leave anyhow.

I did this in an old canvass army tent for 8 months when I was single and in mt 20's. I wasn't alone though. I had a friend with me and we hadsome buddies come and stay with us much of the time. It was a blast. We had a small lake nearby for fishing and swimming. We grew some carrots, potatoes, beans and tomatoes. we tried some lettuce but the slugs had their way with it. Our onions never took off. We grew in raised beds that we made with logs and filled with soil that we bacpacked in. It would've been nice to have a solar charged electric fence to keep the deer out of our garden. Be sure not to plant things that could become an invasive species though.

We also brought up rice, beens, pasta, powdered milk, coffe, sugar, flour, etc. which we stored in 2l pop bottles. Plus we bought lots of canned meat and fish. whenever people came to visit they usually brought some fresh produce/dairy. The diet got monotonous but a good spice rack helped and we supplimented with whatever we could forrage like fish, nettles, shrooms, berries and so-on. We ate a LOT of nettles and I still love them. We also found a dead tree with oyster mushrooms growing on it that produced for weeks.

It'd be a good idea to bring up a pressure canner and a bunch of jars if you plan to store any meat or veg. Pressure canned foods will keep for a couple years without much care or use of resources. Just don't put it out in the sun or let it freeze. It's way more reliable than freezing, refriderating or smoking. The burried freezer sound like a bad idea to me. It would be better to build your cellar with wood, then you don't have to bring huge appliances in or out.

Good luck and wait til you're married before you let people crush your dreams:mrgreen:.

huntingpg
05-14-2012, 07:57 AM
i took the time on the weekend to hook up a couple 4d batteries to a 16 sq foot solar panal im going to hang in a tree. should provide me light. dont worry im going to fly everything out that i bring in. yess 6 months isnt a long time,, i am single im recently divorced and loving it. she took me for almost everything so this adventure i am going on has got me excited im living out of a hotel right now.

Jelvis
05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Ok now it's starting to make sense, a married fella gone through a divorce. You want to get away from society for a while. I see now what your going through. People everywhere and all the advice and it's got to you big time.
Lot's of us have been there and it's a very difficult time.
Jel (Bin Dare) Never done dat tho .. Good luck in the back country .. the slack country .. out of touch country ..
Some people get along better with themselves, by themselves and for themselves .. :-D .. the simple life ..

NaStY
05-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Good luck with your adventure. Make sure you write a journal. It will help when you are alone.......................

Foxton Gundogs
05-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Good luck with your adventure. Make sure you write a journal. It will help when you are alone.......................

Boy thats a fact after, my first divorce I didn't get lost in the wilderness so much as I lost myself in rodeo, and cowboying and packing in the remotest spots I could find. Didn't keep a journal but wrote a $hit load of "cowboy" poetry. It defenately helps clear the mind and keep you sane.

Krico
05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Good luck and wait til you're married before you let people crush your dreams:mrgreen:.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes it's just plain funny.:-D

thunderheart
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM
might be a book in it at the end

wicket
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
SLAP!!!!! sorry had to do it man....now get up ...suck it up ...shit happens...go get a job ........... get over it and be a productive part of society.....or go into the bush and enjoy the experience hmmmm i kinda like the second option.

r106
05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
i took the time on the weekend to hook up a couple 4d batteries to a 16 sq foot solar panal im going to hang in a tree. should provide me light. dont worry im going to fly everything out that i bring in. yess 6 months isnt a long time,, i am single im recently divorced and loving it. she took me for almost everything so this adventure i am going on has got me excited im living out of a hotel right now.

Now it's a fly in location?

blackbart
05-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a good way to clear your head for a bit. I don't know you from Adam, but it sounds like some personal space is a good idea at present.

I can think of worse things to do. Some good, and some bad advice on this thread - your choice to figure out which is which.

Enjoy the time and let us know how you made out.

I often pine for the times when a wealthy man meant a full stack of firewood and lots of food in the pantry.

Take lots of good books to read - even if you don't read much, you will enjoy it after a bit.

hunter1947
05-18-2012, 01:37 AM
if the "cabin " is not either on leased land ?, deeded land ? or a registered trappers cabin ?, when the Ministry of Forests becomes aware of it's location ?? the MOF will come in, bulldoze it to the ground , and burn the remaining RUBBLE ! :shock:

and maybe give YOU the BILL for the clean-up co$t$,,,, :cry: lol

I agree with Doug keep this cabin to yourself and back track when you go into this place you are considered a squatter.

As for gear to take 6 bick lighters ,axe ,first aid kit ,rifle ,bullets ,vitamin pills ,sleeping gear ,knife ,tarp ,candles ,small tarp ,rope ,four days of food to get you started ,small chain saw with a small container of fuel if you can get it in to the cabin without any probes ,live off mother nature when you get in there..

The Dude
05-18-2012, 04:28 AM
Now it's a fly in location?

Apparently she got everything but the helicopter and fuel. ;-)

sawmill
05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree with Doug keep this cabin to yourself and back track when you go into this place you are considered a squatter.

As for gear to take 6 bick lighters ,axe ,first aid kit ,rifle ,bullets ,vitamin pills ,sleeping gear ,knife ,tarp ,candles ,small tarp ,rope ,four days of food to get you started ,small chain saw with a small container of fuel if you can get it in to the cabin without any probes ,live off mother nature when you get in there..

Pretty hard to live off the land when it ain`t hunting season.

huntingpg
05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
i should mention im metis

The Dude
05-18-2012, 09:05 AM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/troll_bridge.jpg

Enough.

wicket
05-18-2012, 09:24 AM

oh well that makes it alright ....nope im going back to my original idea ...get over it and get a job thats the last im feeding this troll

huntingpg
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
that last comment was a joke!! im just like the rest of you.. but i guess with a bit more balls!! im headed up in a couple days

Foxton Gundogs
05-18-2012, 09:46 AM
In order to have hunting rights in B.C. you must prove there is a TREDITIONAL Metis COMMUNITY int the IMMEDIATE AREA that you are/will be hunting in just BEING Metis doesnt give you the right to hunt wherever you choose.
http://akinandgarvey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/3Billys.jpg

sawmill
05-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Don`t matter,you can`t hunt out of season unless you are on a res. and metis don`t have ress`s.
Better re-think yer plan.

sawmill
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
that last comment was a joke!! im just like the rest of you.. but i guess with a bit more balls!! im headed up in a couple days

Pack lots of K.D.

sawmill
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Any predictions on how long our buddy lasts?I`m thinking a week,maybe 10 days.

The Dude
05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
This thread's done. Put a fork in it, and the juices will run clear.

frenchbar
05-18-2012, 10:27 AM

time to bring back the jelevator thread ...

huntingpg
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM

awww are you jealous that this thread has more hits then any of yours? or just that i have the balls to do what im doing

frenchbar
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM
awww are you jealous that this thread has more hits then any of yours? or just that i have the balls to do what im doing

he already lives off the land alone ..IN HIS VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER...

sawmill
05-18-2012, 11:21 AM

HAH HAH HAH!Good old Chris Farley Classic!

frenchbar
05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
HAH HAH HAH!Good old Chris Farley Classic!

he was classic RIP big guy ..

happyhunter
05-18-2012, 03:02 PM

LOL almost fell out of my chair :)

The Dawg
05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
http://policelink.monster.com/nfs/policelink/product_photos/0000/6031/Troll_Spary_max192w.JPG?1202766315

springpin
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
So...IBTL!

stitch
05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/photo14.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27133&title=photo14&cat=500)

The Dawg
05-18-2012, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxm3fqmRtQc&feature=related

showtime
05-18-2012, 07:37 PM
this thread is bs in my opinion. so was the arrow in the house thread.

BearSupreme
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Im doing the same adventure as you, I also want to make it a year. All the best to you, this adventure will be worth more then anything you can buy, cheers

RENO
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_Ap6i8Emg

The Dude
05-19-2012, 12:16 AM
More hits? Please.
The thing I don't like is you're asking good folks to help you and spend their time typing out genuine, helpful tips and you're either trolling, or very, very confused.
So let's re-cap your adventure plans:

You're in cell range.
A few clicks from the highway.
You can hump deep freezes in there to bury, so must be road or ATV accessible.
You've never done this before, and haven't bothered to read up and educate yourself.
You can catch Cutthroat trout out your back door, and
See Stone's sheep out your front.
Additionally, although your ex took everything, you're still gonna hire a (chopper?) to fly your stuff out, and.....
The coup de grace
You're metis.

So I have to ask you a favour:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/memes-business-vader.jpg

The Dude
05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxm3fqmRtQc&feature=related

Classic sketch! Shame that Farley and Hartman had to check out so early.
Spade and Applegate are trying so hard not to lose it. :D

Foxton Gundogs
05-19-2012, 07:13 AM
AND DUDE, don't forget its a long drive up "north", not on a FS road and pretty remote, BUT friends seem to "drop by" and he just pops in and out to make "improvements":confused::confused::confused: IF the cabin part is for real it could be a heck of a way to spend the summer/early fall but get your ducks(and story) in a row.

Pioneerman
05-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Well he did say 15 minute walk off road, and in cell range so not very remote, and pretty much guarantied you will do all the improvements he wants to and the "real owner" will show up. Trouble is who will know who is truly the owner. It's not as though the address is on your id or you have a title handy. Good luck

elkdom
05-19-2012, 07:48 AM
definition "Living OFF the Land"

part (1), pick up welfare check in Town,,,, millions of Canadians do it, every month,,,,
what's ONE more gonna matter ?

part (2), pick up " Free Meds" from PharmaCare Counter,,,,,

living the "Dream",,,,,,,,,,,,

frenchbar
05-19-2012, 08:04 AM
I thought of living off the land out in the wilderness once.....then it dawned on me it would be hand bombing and no pizza and beer night ....lol

grizzlydueck
05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
100% pressure canner[not with the guage on the top but with the weights ]- jars and lots of lids-rubber maid tubs& multiple containers with lids for mouse/bug proofing-while your at the depot grab some more materials and build a chicken coup attached to the cabin get some hybrid layers and some cornish white giants meat birds= a lrg sack of hen scratch is $10 and lasts along time build it propper to keep sm critters out= for night time and you will be a happy camper -lots of spices -learn how to use starter for making sourdough its amazing and google GHEE its how to cure butter that lasts years-tons of rice -sugar-multi vitamins with chelated minerals -lots of TP AND PAPER TOWEL =used towel for fire starter-bring lots of newspaper for fire starting -duct tape & mechanics wire -get in the habit of wearing gloves =for splitting kindling=if you do have any injuries that will be the most common=use crazy glue instead of going to town for stitches & leave a corner of the cut unglued so your body can push out any dirt or puss -salt =makes everything taste better-things i crave and need when living long periods away in the bush = containers of unpasterized honey =does not go bad [walmart] -chocolate-lots of nuts-granola/grains-pop with sugar-lots of butter-corn oil for the cast iron-flour-fruit-canned fruit is worth it's weight in gold. Your calorie intake will spike while doing bush chores everyday as you probally already know and calories are the hardest thing to get from the land. The gardening season is very short in thinhorn country so pick your vegies for the cold climates and ones that can be trimmed and keep producing into the cold months ex swiss chard-do lots of carrots and yukon gold spuds and store them in saw dust -if your going to grow peas/beans use inoculant =it will give you a 50% better yield =$7 will treat 5lbs of seads-you can also store eggs for months to years buy using salted butter and bran -google it preserving eggs= i learned the idea from the book grizzlies in their back yard. if you can find it, buy the bible of homesteading/living of the land or order it in and have one of your friends bring it up to you its called the encyclopedia of country living by emery -another must have read would be grizzlies in their back yard, BY BETH DAY wilderness seasons& wild & free by ian & sally wilson-a good mushroom manual i have several= the audubon pocket guide has great pics and a handy ref or just learn the fool proof four morels-puffballs-shaggy mane-sulfur polypore a nice way to get some diff flavor in your diet. I wish the best in your adventure and if you want to discuss anything pm me and will chat=have fun !

grizzlydueck
05-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Farley is okay but what about john candy ...he da man !!!!

showtime
05-19-2012, 12:23 PM
great tips man but holly smokes that was hard to read.

WiserFool
05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Ya know, I'm startin to suspect that huntingpg owns a BLACK DUALLY.

POPS
05-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Well,the young fellows heart is in the right place,. i just turned 65 on the 18th. worked all my life since i was15. except when i went back to school. Been thinking of moving into one of the 2 cabins up by peak lake (cameron river area) 2 weeks is plenty!!!!!! my ex. lives up by denali park in alaska. about 20 miles from the BLUE BUS where that kid in the movie died. Not my idea of living off the land. Like the post about taking the travel trailer. Like to be warm and dry at night. Good luck, let us know where you is at boy, mabe bring you a little col.saunders fried chicken. cheers pops:wink:

Peter Pepper
05-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Bring a cammera and take lots of notes. If you pull this off it's be a great story. Best of luck

POPS
05-19-2012, 06:43 PM
My sides are hurtin' from laughing!!! going to get a beer and a stick of bear pepperoni from the fridge. Great entertaining post:-D how much more info can we squeeze from the op????? think he has moved into the HOFFMANS place ,up at QUARTZ CREEK an he is in the YUKON!!!!!!

scoutlt1
05-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Ya know, I'm startin to suspect that huntingpg owns a BLACK DUALLY.

Well maybe it doesn't have power windows.....

Say Pops, like your posts, but any chance you could type without the huge letters and the fancy colors?? My eyes hurt enough already! ;-)

Tikka270
05-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Well maybe it doesn't have power windows.....

Say Pops, like your posts, but any chance you could type without the huge letters and the fancy colors?? My eyes hurt enough already! ;-)

I can't read his first post at all..... I'm colorblind and I can't see it all with the background.It's just a blur.

springpin
05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
That green is HARD on the eyes..lol😝

Jelvis
05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
That's way too harsh, and the ink color is expensive to change.
Green light bright green.
Jel .. No one lives off the land .. No one .. Not in this country .. all grocery stores now .. Extra Foods ..
Costco and Wendy's hot and juicy :-D You better take some Delissio while your in Overwaitea shopping 4thebush

scoutlt1
05-19-2012, 09:44 PM
That's way too harsh, and the ink color is expensive to change.
Green light bright green.
Jel .. No one lives off the land .. No one .. Not in this country .. all grocery stores now .. Extra Foods ..
Costco and Wendy's hot and juicy :-D You better take some Delissio while your in Overwaitea shopping 4thebush

You crack me up! lol :-)

RENO
05-19-2012, 10:08 PM
can't believe you guys still posting on this Hansel and Gretel adventure trip.
it takes a hell of allot of skill, patients and pioneer spirt to live that rough, and very few can do it, if any one at all ,any more. where is he getting all the money to buy all this stuff, you guys are suggesting he bring? he'll be there a couple of days and when the first g-bear comes sniffing around he'll be outta there!!

Jelvis
05-19-2012, 10:27 PM
It's sounds so out of touch, to be way out in the wilderness by your lonesome, no one to hug or snuggle with.
No partner telling you what to do. No appointments to go to. No dentist, no doctor.
The days and nights would be long. No booze, no smokes, no gym or Future Shop.
Jel (Too Late) for me, but good timing for you .. Solitary Life

oldkoot
05-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Sorry I stopped by. Thanks Pops......I just burned my retina's out.

oldkoot
05-19-2012, 11:21 PM
P.S

By the way. He is not with the Hoffman crew. I saw them in town today getting haircuts and later some of them at the " Goat ". The OP was not with them.......he is still under the bridge.

Tikka270
05-26-2012, 10:34 PM
So did this guy actually go or what? Anyone know?

redwards92
05-27-2012, 09:01 AM
this guy did not go it was a troll(pointless made up story) thread

huntingpg
08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
im back!!! and survived. even with a 200 hecatre forest fire burning 2km away . what a experiance

Grousedaddy
08-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Post pics and a story lets hear it

Jelvis
08-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I want to hear the whole story from start to finish, it's sounds like your a person who knows what yer doing.
Wow in the wilderness .. all by your lonesome .. this could be the story of 2012
More

94_sahara
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4073&d=1344921165

The Dude
08-13-2012, 10:19 PM
im back!!! and survived. even with a 200 hecatre forest fire burning 2km away . what a experiance

Oh, I can't WAIT for the photos!
(Or did your sister forget to bring the camera?)

Trophyslayer
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
(Or did your sister forget to bring the camera?)

I don't think I want to see those pictures:shock:

browningboy
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Read all this and all the same guys posting BS about it or troll, who's the fool that keeps posting!
Just saying a this was a pile of crap and a waste of 20 minutes I won't get back.

The Dude
08-13-2012, 11:22 PM
who's the fool that keeps posting!

Uhhhhh........ YOU?
So much fun to be had here.

oldtimer
08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
May 2012 to August 2012----- 6 Months ??? must be a Metis Calender.
Mike

Wackman
08-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Lots of good information in this thread. Good luck to the op if he's going thru with it. I lived 2 years in a cabin without power or running water up in Quesnel in the early 90s. Was not easy but worth the experience.
I had a fun time reading this thread. Have to go now and treat my snow-blindness, thanks Pop :-)

wicket
08-15-2012, 03:26 PM
ill bump the thread for no other reason than pure selfish entertainment

dukester
08-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Boredom might take over so plan daily activities to keep you focused, paper and pencil to keep a journal. snare wire of all sizes can be helpfull and be safe , a simple cut slip /fall can mulitply when out there. Ask your doc to supply you with some anti -b's for throat and Anti-B;s for wound care. take care.. Duke.

Jelvis
08-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Sounds pretty scary the way your saying wound care and throat. What the, that right there is like making me think right now. It's a young mans game.
Jel .. dukester yur scarin me! Yer putttin the fear a gad in me! :shock: I don't like the way it's going.

ACE
08-17-2012, 11:58 AM
delete....

180grainer
08-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Get a spot gps so you can summons someone to come and get your butt out of there in February.

Jelvis
08-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Do Not. Drink any ground water in BC without boiling it first or using a water purifier, you will get beaver fever and wish you could die. Puking yer guts out and sheetin yerself silly, Willy.
Jel ( Beaver) Fever .. sicker than a dog .. and badly dehydrated ..

Boner
08-17-2012, 10:20 PM
You guys aren't reading it, he's done it! He's lived in the bush from May to August! It's all said and done. And don't forget to take the grain of salt...

The Dude
09-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Anxiously awaiting pics and a write-up! :D

Grousedaddy
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Ya me to lets gear the story