PDA

View Full Version : hydro easements on crown land?

shottyshooter
05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I did a search and I didn't see the answer anywhere...

In an area of crown land - Is it ok to hunt where the hydro lines pass through? My interpretation of the paragraph below (from bc hydros website) would say "Yes" because it is crown land and not someones private property?
Please respect private propertyTransmission lines run through corridors, which BC Hydro manages according to specific property rights acquired by BC Hydro from the land owners. Such property rights are known as statutory rights-of-way or easements.
On occasion, some members of the public use transmission rights-of-way for snowmobiling, ATVing, hiking, hunting, horseback riding, and other outdoor activities. While some of these rights-of-way are on public land, others are privately owned.
It is important to remember that property owners have granted certain rights to BC Hydro, including the right to build, maintain and access the transmission lines. However, these rights do not extend to public access.
Any individual travelling along transmission rights-of-way without the property owner’s consent is subject to the same laws of trespass as if they were trespassing on any other private property. Please do not use transmission rights-of-way unless you have the consent of the appropriate property owner.

burger
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I did a search and I didn't see the answer anywhere...

In an area of crown land - Is it ok to hunt where the hydro lines pass through? My interpretation of the paragraph below (from bc hydros website) would say "Yes" because it is crown land and not someones private property?
Please respect private propertyTransmission lines run through corridors, which BC Hydro manages according to specific property rights acquired by BC Hydro from the land owners. Such property rights are known as statutory rights-of-way or easements.
On occasion, some members of the public use transmission rights-of-way for snowmobiling, ATVing, hiking, hunting, horseback riding, and other outdoor activities. While some of these rights-of-way are on public land, others are privately owned.
It is important to remember that property owners have granted certain rights to BC Hydro, including the right to build, maintain and access the transmission lines. However, these rights do not extend to public access.
Any individual travelling along transmission rights-of-way without the property owner’s consent is subject to the same laws of trespass as if they were trespassing on any other private property. Please do not use transmission rights-of-way unless you have the consent of the appropriate property owner.

thats how I would read it

Jelvis
05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Never heard of this b4, everyone travels across powerlines by roads otherwise you couldn't drive anywheres.
Keep on truckin.
Jel .. don't taser me bro. Anyone try's to give you a hard time about this, tell them jel told you it was ok.

shottyshooter
05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I contacted the railroad at one point many years ago and they said that If i accessed their right of way that I would be trespassing. I was assuming it might be the same with the hydro...

I'm going to be in an area that Google shows the hydro lines running through and I'd like to walk up it until I get to another area, and if I see a good bear along the way...

I'll call them tommorrow to make sure - don't wanna be breaking the rules.

Goliath
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Hydro lines often run THROUGH private land. In these cases there is a registered easement for HYDRO to access the land (to service their poles), but these many of these easements are for HYDRO only.

Hydro also has easements registered on crown land. Basically 90% of hydro lines run on a crown land easement. The purpose for this is to prevent the crown from blocking access to their lines.

Now to answer your implied question...You are allowed on crown land, including hydro easements...except those that run thru private land...unless there is an easement for public access across the private land as well.

Gun Dog
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Railways generally own the land that the tracks are on. In exchange for building rail lines the governments of the day gave the railroad companies corridors that were miles wide. So it's not a "right of way". Other utilities, like BC hydro, don't own the land. They only own a specific right to use the land.

shottyshooter
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Awsome! that clears things up - thanks guys!

Someone should invent an app that GPS's you, the time of year etc. etc. and gives you the green light or tells you why not LOL! Would really help rookies like me who didn't grow up with a mentor or any other experience wade through the clear as mud waters! LOL! Oh well, I'll figure it out bit by bit. I'm off to pack up - my son and I get a boys overnighter before the rest of the family joins us!