PDA

View Full Version : Nahatlatch Wolves

Zig Zag
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Hello all HBC'ers.
It is finally time for my first post.

So sh*t there we were. The last campground(squakum) on the third lake in Nahatlatch park at about midnight. Stayed there while bear hunting. I was sitting by the fire and my brother was searching through the back of the truck for something. When from about ten feet away behind a tree we hear yappy yap yap. Ya I know what your thinkin, yappy yap yap? Was a dog letting us know he was there and curious I guess. Kinda howly. I've heard pets do it when they want attention. Anyway we looked around, shined lights, put pepperoni out 40 yards from the fire where we could see it. I even pulled out my dead rabbit call and played a tune. Nothing but footsteps and cracking twigs out of the visual range. Didn't see the shine of eyes, a shadow or anything. An hour or so later it was dead quite so we took back our pepperoni and went to bed.

The second night was the same cracking twigs and footsteps. So we set up the pepperoni and the bacon we left out all day in hopes it got stinky enough for them. These we put in two different spots a bit further out. Same thing no visual of any kind. We even put the fire out went into the tent and left the door open a bit for the last couple rums of the night.
Nothing...Until sometime in the night while we were sleeping. My rum soaked body did not get up no matter how hard my bro elbowed me but he said there were three of them howling full blast at the super moon that night.. One behind the tent, and the other two across camp somewhere. It lasted a half hour and then dead quite again. I'm really choked he didn't try harder to get me up but hey, I did have a few.

Just thought I would put that out there... Oh and what sort of tactic could we take in the future to see these sneakers?

ydouask
05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Holy Moley, that was a close call. Here's what I think you guys should do. Bring a few extra sets of underwear and hang them on low bushes , oh, about 40 yards from your tent, they don't have to be sweaty. Now, in the evening as darkness falls and you light up the campfire for warmth and protection, be sure to do two or three things. First, take the Rum and pour it all on the underwear, then eat all the pepperoni and go to bed... oh, and go easy on the Zig Zags ! This should put an end to your wolf visistations.:-D

Good2bCanadian
05-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I'd wrap myself in barbwire. Make a knight suit out of it.
One bite and them *******s will learn.
Its about education.

BlacktailStalker
05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Next time bring a dog and stake him out to your chair. Make sure you're cleaning your defender after dark every night, cycling ssg to ensure the action isn't sticky. If one of these werewolves saw your tasty fido, you just might have to defend him... good thing that defender would already be in your hands !
Then you can post pics because without pics..... it didn't happen.

shoot2kill
05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I saw some "B" movie with one of the Baldwins in it about dinosours chasing them around trying to eat them, so they covered them selves with sh*t! Dino's would come real close but would'nt eat them. Try that, might work!

I think that might work for grizzly too! I'll have to get our new hunting partner to be the guinee pig this fall in the wesk koots.

Goliath
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Hmm, nahatlatch wolves? I don't deny they might exist, but I'll say that's rare. Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Zig Zag
05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
ydouask (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?7085-ydouask)-I don't believe this was a close call at all. Seems to me that we were in thier winter ground. I'm no wolf hunting expert but did notice the deer stayed to either side of the third lake. There were beavers on the west end and lots of ground level bird around. Which I was thinking kept them easily fed. Maybe I'm dilusional but my two aggresive close encounters gave me a certain feeling which I did not get this time.
Not sure where you're going with hangin undies and rum soaking them but I'm more interested in drying a few wolf pelts and drinkin the rum...
Good2bCanadian (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?20019-Good2bCanadian)-The barb wire knight suite sounds very uncomfortable and I don't think it would be very easy to reach my 12 gauge. I'll stick to jeans and tee's or camo...

BlacktailStalker (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?817-BlacktailStalker)-Now this is the genius I'm looking for! Just bought the go pro 2 cam. I also keep my trusty remington 870 close at all times. She is always kept in good firing shape and slug ready.

shoot2kill (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?14632-shoot2kill)-Not really into poo play. I roll it around a bit to see how fresh it is but that's it!

Goliath (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?5428-Goliath)-I know. Makes me wonder about the BC population in general. I've read a few threads that have me believing there are potentialy to many around. Which is partly why I posted. Not only was it a very rare experience but perhaps there are more experienced hunters/trappers who could offer advice or hunt them while searching for thier bear out there.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. Keep it coming. Can anyone direct me to a past thread, website or any other usefull info source on the habits of BC wolves?

Oh and if there is anyone in the FSJ area looking for thier bear and or wolf that's what I'll be doing this weekend and next week.

Cheer all!

rcar
05-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I was up there hunting spring bear last June, camping at the first area (Apocynum Rec site I think.) and I woke up in the middle of the night to a noise. I lit up a very nice grey colored wolf just walking through my camp. The whole site was empty except one truck at the top end and at first I thought it was just their dog but after my eyes cleared it was definately a wolf. When the camp superintendent came by a couple of days later to collect she told me that in the past few years there have been quite a few wolves in the valley.

ianwuzhere
05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
they were looking for blood! pepperoni? cmon!
last fall i was cow calling elk for a while, sat under tree cuz it started to rain-heard something behind us- was a wolf sneakin in-no shot off, chase pursuid and i made my longest shot of my life ending with a dead grey wolf.. this was the day after buddy got 18 wolves on video running in a big pack across the alpine..

Zig Zag
05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
rcar (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?24019-rcar)-Yup they have it pretty good around there. We drove to Boston Bar at dusk on saturday and at least 100 mulies crossed our path...
ianwuzhere (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1418-ianwuzhere)-Pretty sure if we left the pepperoni or bacon out for the night it wouldn't be there in the morn. Most certainly thier main target wasn't our dinner though. You have to wonder, why did the one on the first night yap at us from 10' away. My first though was to lure us out and since they didn't have a 22 year blonde tighty, thier cutest most cuddly sounding female would be worth a shot. And since we didn't have a freshly killed fawn mulie the old bacon and pepperoni was worth a shot.

Wasn't going to do nothing. Just working with what's around. Cheers Bud!

rcar
05-12-2012, 01:53 PM
rcar (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?24019-rcar)-Yup they have it pretty good around there. We drove to Boston Bar at dusk on saturday and at least 100 mulies crossed our path...
ianwuzhere (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1418-ianwuzhere)-Pretty sure if we left the pepperoni or bacon out for the night it wouldn't be there in the morn. Most certainly thier main target wasn't our dinner though. You have to wonder, why did the one on the first night yap at us from 10' away. My first though was to lure us out and since they didn't have a 22 year blonde tighty, thier cutest most cuddly sounding female would be worth a shot. And since we didn't have a freshly killed fawn mulie the old bacon and pepperoni was worth a shot.

Wasn't going to do nothing. Just working with what's around. Cheers Bud!

I notice the same thing about the deer the first time I drove that road. They come down from the high country in the late afternoon to feed on the planted fields you see between the river and road. Unfortunately it is private land on both sides of the road so if you wanted to target one of those deer you would have to find a way up and in behind the private areas. When I did this looking for bear I ran into a few "settlers" back thier. All were very friendly but shocked to see me.

TyTy
05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I've seen tracks in the valley bottoms there.

adriaticum
09-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Here is what I heard at Nahatlatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU

ruger#1
09-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Hmm, nahatlatch wolves? I don't deny they might exist, but I'll say that's rare. Time to buy a lottery ticket. Why not. I know a guy that shot one near Mission a couple of years ago. There are also wolves in around Pemberton. Seen one in Manning park. Ran acrross the road infront of my truck.

buck nash
09-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Hmm, nahatlatch wolves? I don't deny they might exist, but I'll say that's rare. Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Not rare at all. There are wolves up there and quite a few. I camp with my family around there and have seen tracks all around the campgrounds. We've heard them lots at night as well.

Even more just just across the Fraser in the Anderson river area. I hunt in there often and see wolf sign everywhere.

solo
09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I have seen that pack twice in the last three years. Had a great shot at one last year, but squeezed the trigger with the damn safety still on, and then the opportunity was gone.

NMO
09-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Upper Squamish valley, never seen one but I put 60 days up there between Jan-April, tracks all up and down the FSR's in the snow. Some areas looked like a dog park. Not uncommon for guides to see them while drifting the river I'm told.