PDA

View Full Version : Stores with Ranges?

PAhunter
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
So, I have been doing a bunch of research on bows, and I feel as though the more I know about them and the technologies the harder a decision it is becoming on which bow i will end up buying. So, my question to you folks is where can I go to try out a few bows, send some arrows down the range. At this point I'm just going to base my decision on feel. I'm in Port Alberni so some place close would be great. Looking mainly for Bowtech, Mathews, PSE and APA as that is where most of my searching has lead me.

Thanks guys,
Mark.

05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Island outfitters has a bow range

todbartell
05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
just buy a PSE, they are the best

Bow Walker
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
To my knowledge the only stores with a bit of a shooting range in them are Bucky's in Duncan and Island Outlaws in Victoria.

Both those ranges are only about 10 - 12 yards long, but that's perfect for getting the feel of a bow. You're mainly looking at how it feels when you first pick it up, how it feels when you draw through the draw cycle, and how it feels when you release the shot. The way bow feels after those three very subjective 'tests' will help you pick out one particular bow.

After that (when you get it set up for your particular shooting form) it's a matter of practice, practice, and more practice - until the bow feels like a part of your arm. You've got to become totally familiar with the characteristics of your particular bow to be a a consistently accurate shooter.

TheProvider
05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
x2 wat Mr. Bow walker said. The best way to pick a bow is to try a few and choose the one you like most. Then get it setup properly for you. Too many new bowhunters just look through a recent hunting magazine an order a bow. You can also look at any local archery clubs and go out to it. You'll find most people at them very friendly and you may get to try a cple bows

PAhunter
05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
What brands should I expect at those 2 dealers? Any insight on warrantee services from any of the listed brands? Has anybody just had an awful time with customer service?

Ambush
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Pretty Shitty Excuse for a bow. You long for a Mathews, but you're hen pecked, so you settled.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Point Shoot Explode

If you really wanted the best you shouldve followed my advice and gotten an Elite .

But we all understand your handicap .... ....Just write yourself a note to tape a new bus pass to your helmet next month ... ok

000buck
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Pretty Shitty Equipment, Strother is making a move here

PAhunter
05-10-2012, 12:17 AM
So there are some strong feelings towards PSE I take it... They are the only bows I have had the chance to shoot. 07 brute, 2010 bow madnesses and a 2012 stinger. I really like the way the Mathews heli m is talked up, plus I really have a thing for the walnut grip. But am debating about what cam just makes the most sense, toss up between solo or binary, seems like too much can go wrong in a hybrid or a twin cam set up. Too much to think about...

The Dude
05-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Home Depot. They have both Gas and Electric Ranges.

Lozzie
05-10-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm not a farmer so I don't understand the poultry reference but two can play the acronym game. Mathews -Mediocre Archers Trying Hard Even With Shit ;)

Pretty Shitty Excuse for a bow. You long for a Mathews, but you're hen pecked, so you settled.

Lozzie
05-10-2012, 02:41 AM
ELITE- Even Longbows I Try Explode;)

Point Shoot Explode

If you really wanted the best you shouldve followed my advice and gotten an Elite .

But we all understand your handicap .... ....Just write yourself a note to tape a new bus pass to your helmet next month ... ok

Lozzie
05-10-2012, 02:45 AM
APA-Absolutely Pitiful Archery;)

Lozzie
05-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Hoyt- Hovering Over Your Toilet, Hanging Off Your Tit, Hammering Our Young Testicles. May not be archery related, but still fun this early in the morning;)

000buck
05-10-2012, 03:02 AM
wow do carbon tech!!

Riverbc
05-10-2012, 07:53 AM
So there are some strong feelings towards PSE I take it... They are the only bows I have had the chance to shoot. 07 brute, 2010 bow madnesses and a 2012 stinger. I really like the way the Mathews heli m is talked up, plus I really have a thing for the walnut grip. But am debating about what cam just makes the most sense, toss up between solo or binary, seems like too much can go wrong in a hybrid or a twin cam set up. Too much to think about...
Nothing wrong with PSE Bows..they have a wide range of selection. From pricey high end bows to inexpensive introductory bows. I have a 2010 Bow Madness, that I picked up last year, and love it. I was over in Port last year hunting with a local and picked up my first deer with it. Went into my 2nd 3-D shoot with it in January and scored 142/150 and 146/150. I shot a bow for the first time a year earlier. The Bow Madness is a good single cam bow, with an affordable price. I take it you are just starting out? Not sure you want to spend big bucks to start out, and find out it's not really your thing. Bows are like cars..you have to test drive them, and see how they handle. You know how some peeps slam Ford? (Found On Road Dead) (Fix Or Repair Daily)...peeps are like that with bows. They have their favourites. I know a lot of experienced hunters and 3-Ders shoot PSE locally here. So don't write them off, because of the play on acronyms. Shoot them with the rest and then compare.
Read the thread for New Bow Buyers, started by Ambush, here -----> http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?80277-BOW-BUYING-for-new-archers
I hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do...it has become as much of a passion for me, as coming over to Port and fishing! :)

Bowzone_Mikey
05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Naw we are just playing around .... PSE is probally the biggest archery company out there as they own more patents than anything else ...... for every compound bow sold PSE makes money on as they most likely own a patent on some part of the design including the "compound bow" concept ..."cable gaurd" concept .... many others.... However they had a few issues with their line up a few years back ... as their factory strings were poor and and a few of the late 90s early 2000s had a poor cam design and a cable slide design that rubbed the 2 cables together and eventuly breaking the sting/cables thus scatering parts everywhere .... Buddy of mine that I met 4years ago ... hasent shot his bow in 7 or 8 years that he bought new 10 years ago .... brought his bow to me ...and has this problem .... cables are well worn ... a few more shots I am sure he wouldve been eating parts

PAhunter
05-10-2012, 08:36 AM
I am new to the sport. I have only gone out shooting a half dozen times. But everything just kind of came naturally for me. It is so much fun, and I would love to box hunt this season. I've been out and about and found an awesome spot for a stand. Pretty infatuated by it all right now. I just want a bow that won't be obsolete as soon as the 2013 bows come out. It has to feel good in my hand, along with the usual smooth draw,no hand shock, quiet, light weight and accurate. Speed is not my number 1 concern. Ever single now has an IBO over 300. As long as it will shoot around 300fps when it's all loaded up with a not rediculously light arrow I think I will be very content.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
so ... here is a rule of thumb ... IBO specs are 30" draw ...350 grains ... 70 pounds nothing on the string ... no peep .. no kisser ... no nock set ...nothing

now for each pound of draw peak .. you can lose 2-5 fps .... for each inch shorter of draw lenth you will lose about 10 fps .... for every 10grains extra weight to the arrow you can expect to lose up to 5 fps .... for 10 grains on the string you can expect to lose up to 3-7 fps
all this is based on riser design and cam design

to put it into perspective ... I had a Hoyt supertec that IBO at 330 a few years ago .... a real snotty speed bow ... at the time it was one of the fastest ones out there with real agresive cams and a short unforgiving brace height with a 28" draw, 425 grain arrows, a peep - loop tied nock set ... and speed balls on the string (nocks on the string near the cams ... we will get into those later) and a peak draw set at 70 pounds ... I was getting 298 fps (without the speedballs I was getting about 290)
Now a new bow that I own ... also IBO s at 330 ... set at 70 ...29" draw ... 353 grain arrow ... peep, loop and speed balls I get 322 fps ...with 400 grain arrows I am getting 309

Bow Walker
05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
PAhunter - Take a 'day trip' and go see what they've got to offer you (Bucky's and Island Outlaws I mean)....give there bows a try even if they aren't really set up for you - no bow is yet. If nothing else you'll get to handle a few different bows, see how they feel, and broaden your experience(s) in the world of archery.

Here's food for thought - After shooting a "1992 Martin Phantom Magnum" for a few years it was time to upgrade to a new bow. Since I had enough experience with bows and shooting, I ordered a new one (2006) over the internet (http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/) it was a Diamond Liberty. I got it to my door for over $200.00 less than I could buy it "local".

Here's the thing - I had never even handled a Diamond bow but I ordered one anyway. It came and I set it up and began shooting. It took me about three practice sessions to get used to that bow and how it felt, shot, and looked. After that it became a part of me and felt natural in my hands - I didn't worry about it being new or strange. I got used to it and it got used to me.

What I'm trying to say here is that any newer archer can (and will) get used to any bow out there. It's only the people that have been shooting for a few years that develop "likes" and "dis-likes" and simply "have to handle before buying". Now that's not to say that handling before buying isn't a good thing because it is - if you know what it is you are handling.

It takes a certain level of experience to be able to know and feel differences in bow models. I'm definitely NOT calling you down - it's just true that new shooters can (and do) adapt to any bow. So don't get hung up on brand names or who's bow shoots the fastest or anything like that.......

BTW - my '06 Diamond Liberty is still going strong (not "outdated" as soon as the new ones came out) and I have killed a freezer full of deer with it........even though it only spits my hunting arrows out at the blistering speed of 257 feet per second. :wink:

todbartell
05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
no really guys, PSE are the best in my experience

Bow Walker
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
no really guys, PSE are the best in my experience

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Hermit
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
You are welcome to come and shoot a Limbsaver here in Victoria/Sidney... probably one of the best bows on the market at excellent HBC prices through VantagePoint Outfitters. Check them out at www.limbsaver.com

I will also have them at Huntfest in Chilliwack!

TheProvider
05-10-2012, 07:54 PM
The best part about buying your first bow is buying your second one. Why? Because its either very similiar to your first or alot different.

sako04
06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
hardcore archery in Kelowna is great they sell mainly mathews and they let u try the bows up stairs in a small 10yard range

shank
11-30-2012, 06:35 PM
i use to own a P.S.E. and it was a nice bow i shot mathews and as soon as i picked up a Bow tech invastion OMG no sound and sweet to shoot it was like a part of my arm next bow for me Bow tech Invastion no other bow comes close ..

Carlee
11-30-2012, 11:36 PM
You can come try some of the new 2013 bows at buckys. We have a few in already.

Ron.C
11-30-2012, 11:53 PM
If price can be put aside , regardless of major brand, you are being wise by getting your hands on as many different types as you can before you decide. Amazing to me how many say one bow is so much better the another when there are so many good choices out there. And I take with a grain of salt anyone who recommends a bow or any other product they are sponsored to use. Just my opinion. For me it all comes down to fit/feel.

Years ago, my cheap PSE Thunderbolt shot and felt better to me then the Mathews I replaced it with. But I got sucked into the brand game and paid the price with a bow that was all the rage at the time, but never felt right in my hands. I have since learned the hard way and my current bow is one I have been shooting nearly 6 years. It was the 4th bow I tried while I was looking and I knew right away it was the one.

When I was looking, I shot a couple bows at Bucky's and they were very helpful.

But if you can make it to Sidney, look up Vantage Point Outfitters and try his products too. Bill will give you lots of opportunity to play with a limbsaver bow.