PDA

View Full Version : salt sustitute

argyle1
05-08-2012, 07:17 AM
has anyone here used this salt substitute for salting capes---called TTC--taxidermy trophy care--non-iodized salt--says 2 qts (4 1/2 lbs) is equal to 25 lbs salt---sold by www.pristineadventures.com (http://www.pristineadventures.com), the guy that sells the tagbags (by the way I bought some tag bags to check out his claims---they certainly look and sound good)

BiG Boar
05-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Sounds interesting for sure. Good way to save weight if it works! Those TAG Bags look good too! Let us know the actual weights and sizes you receive. I would like to get some if they live up to the claims.

Did some reading on the salt substitute and it seems like some taxidermists dont like it. Here is one thing I found:

If you have questions about TTC (the salt substitute), ask Russell Knight, of Knight's Taxidermy. Or anyone else with extensive experience in the business. I did and it's hard to find any fans of the stuff out there, except among hunters trying to cut back on weight. It turns your hide into leather and it's really hard to work with.