PDA

View Full Version : Goat LEH "class of animal" inconsistencies

Krico
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Reading through the new LEH synopsis I noticed that in regions 2,3 and 4 the authorization is for "either sex, any age" and in regions 6&7 the class of animal listed is "adult only." Does anyone know the reason for the difference? Is it just a difference in game management strategies of the regional bios? We all know that the ministry requests hunters shoot billies only, but in regions 2,3,4 they clearly are ok with the shooting of kids if they state either sex any age...this seems to be a bit of a conflicting message. It also leads me to my next query. There seems to be lots of chatter about reduction in tags if too many nannies are shot - but nothing is required at the CI that proves sex - horns only. Yes I know they are a good indicator, but they are most definitely not "proof of sex". My buddy has a 10" billy, and the inspector at the time was convinced it was a nanny. There is also nothing recorded on the CI sheet that indicates sex of the animal, just the horn measurements. Are we relying on the harvest questionnaires for this information? If so, what percentage of hunters actually fill them out and send them in? Just wondering!
Edited to add - apparently sex of animal is recorded, I just remember looking and not seeing it...

BiG Boar
05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Isn't it also now illegal to harvest a female in the presence of kids?

Krico
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
yes it is...

Krico
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Anyone????

ryanb
05-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I have talked to people that drew region 3 tags and actually went and shot a kid, thinking it might taste like lamb...not quite. I've often wondered the same thing...why?! We all know its hard to eliminate female harvest completely, but kid harvest? What reason is there to allow it?

steel_ram
05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Shoot a kid and then your buddy can legally take out the nanny next trip, since it's no longer accompanying a kid. Some really clever hunters out there.

gerrygoat
05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
I have talked to people that drew region 3 tags and actually went and shot a kid, thinking it might taste like lamb...not quite. I've often wondered the same thing...why?! We all know its hard to eliminate female harvest completely, but kid harvest? What reason is there to allow it?

So a hunter can have the entire family set in his trophy roon ;)

I'm with Krico on this one too, always wondered why they had the weird regulations, if they were going to do it anywhere it should have been in the Skeena region that has a big population. I'm not in favor of it here either, no one has such long trips that they need "camp meat" anymore like in the old days.

boxhitch
05-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Not sure why there are inconsistencies , except that each region submits their own regs . so wording can differ between two offices.
It is generally felt that a 'billy only' rule is unfair , difficult to make positive ID, so they have allowed an 'either sex' hunt to run, though some areas are of concern to the point that may change .
'Any goat' makes the selection a non issue, offers most opportunity, and as anything is legal, nothing gets left on the hill..
'Adult, either sex' may only be from someones personal feelings about taking out the kids. It would not really be from a conservation point, imo.

Goat selection used to be enough of an issue, the regs used to have a full page info sheet on how to id billys and nannys , that explained how the nanny harvest effected population .
Still available on the website http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/archive.html

ryanb
05-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I suppose given the choice between a healthy nanny and a kid, the kid is the better choice to be eliminated, conservation wise. I suppose I just don't quite get why anyone would go to all that work to shoot a kid.

Amphibious
05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
why would you waste all that blood, sweat, and leg cramps, just to shoot a Nanny or a Kid? mind boggling.

Moose Guide
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
I used to know some hunters that prefered goat kid to any other meat! There are places here that you could shoot a nice billy from the hood of your truck. From what I've been told, kid is tender and old billy is tough!!! If you want a kid then shoot one if not then don`t.

firstshot
05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Sometimes when you have hiked all day going after goats and haven't had a chance at one all day, and one steps out in fronty of you , chances are its getting shot. Doesnt matter what it is , if you marinate long enough i think their all worth eating!

steel_ram
05-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Simply, some folks consider their hunt a failure if they don't kill something.

schilly101
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I used to know some hunters that prefered goat kid to any other meat! There are places here that you could shoot a nice billy from the hood of your truck. From what I've been told, kid is tender and old billy is tough!!! If you want a kid then shoot one if not then don`t.

my dad and his friend used to shoot goats from the hoods of their trucks like you say and he always said they would try for a young one as the old billys were tough and stinky. im not talking about the small kids you see in the spring but more so the 1-2 year olds i think.