PDA

View Full Version : Problem with fletching jig

mikeboehm
05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
I have a bohning blazer helical jig. I switched glues snd now use goat tuff and superglue. The glue has wrecked my clamp. The clamp is all rough and not smooth anymore so is doesnt put the fletch tight to the shaft. Any ideas on how to fix. Is tgere better jigs? Does jojan have a helical clamp?

Bowzone_Mikey
05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Dont use so much glue ... LOL .... I dont have alot of exp with that style of jig ... but I suggust some acetone and a scraper to smooth out the clamp .... My Bitz and BPE jigs get that way alot .... I just scrape em smooth after a treatment of Acetone .... all is well

Dirty
05-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't see a problem with 2 vaned arrows. You might be on to something.

mikeboehm
05-07-2012, 07:45 PM
The glue has chipped the plastic clamp and its no longer useable. Im panicing now going bear hunting on the long weekend. Was planning to use my bow. But dont have a clamp now. I guess i have to get boorman to fletch them.

Or i just use my rifle

Ambush
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
What the the heck, I'll say it. Told you to get a Bitzenberger. All metal, no problems.

greybark
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey Mike , If you are near Chillwack give me a call 824 1493
Cheers

mikeboehm
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks but i live in surrey

Bowzone_Mikey
05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
What the the heck, I'll say it. Told you to get a Bitzenberger. All metal, no problems.

Ambush ... what can ya say about these young newbs ..... wanna learn stuff the hard way ;)

Ya Mike .. Hop the train into New-west .. Hit up boormans ... Last i was there they had a Bitz on sale

mikeboehm
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
What do the bitz usually cost up here in canada. Down south $69

hardnocks
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Its not going to help you now that you have ruined your clamp. But when you get a new one put some string wax on your clamp . The glue will not stick to the wax.

mikeboehm
05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Just phoned boormans. They want $149.99 for bitzenburger mono fletcher. That is rediculas

Bow Walker
05-08-2012, 10:49 AM
You say your clamp is ruined? The glue has eaten the plastic?

Can you clamp the fletch with more of it sticking out away from the clamp and still get the helical you're looking for? If you can't get the helical you want then maybe you can fletch with an OFFSET instead of a helical. Then you can either get a new clamp (much less than a new fletching jig) or you can get a jug with metal clamps like a Jo-jan or a Bitz.

Bitzenburger jigs are highly over rated, imho. The Jo-jan has right helical, left helical, and straight clamps just like any other jig but the Jo-jan can sometimes be a bit tricky to get used to because the clamps tend to wiggle a bit when in the jig.

If it were me - I'd order another clamp for your jig and be much more careful about how you fletch in the future.

Hell, you can buy 4 new jigs for the price of that Bitz......http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/bohning-blazer-helix-fletching-p-12532.html

Ruger4
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Told you to get a Bitzenberger. .............................x2

mikeboehm
05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
At bowhunters superstore the bitz is $69.99

Bowzone_Mikey
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
the BPE jig is about 50 bucks ... usually .... couple Bitz for sale on AT for 40-60 ....

Bitz are expensive but well worth it ....buy nice or buy twice

StoneChaser
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Don't ditch your Blazer Helix jig....they are great little jigs and do an excellent helical.

You can pick up an spare plastic clamp for a few bucks, but should not have had any issue if you used the silver tape that comes with it.

Acetone is will remove glue in very easily for future reference from most anything (I know that is how my buddy cleans his AAE jig).

Dirty
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I think it's the Jigger not the jig.

mikeboehm
05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I used the silver tape it still got ruined

Bow Walker
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Then you're using too much glue.....you'll have to order a new clamp if it's totally screwed.

It's hard to believe that it can't be salvaged though.

mikeboehm
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes i will order a new clamp and im also ordering a bitz. And use the bohning as a spare

new hunter
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't know if this will help you , but I fletch my primitive arrows with a simple work bench vice .
To mark were the vanes go I wrap a piece of paper around my arow shaft , then fold it in three .
I then use a sharpie and the paper to mark the three even vane positions on my shaft in relation to my knock , to produce spin simply offset the botom mark from the top .
Next set your vane in a vice to keep it straight , then apply a small bead of glue to the vane ( I use gel crazy glue cause it sets quickly and doesn't run ).
Put your arrow shaft against your vane in the vice and allow the glue to set and repeat .
I use fly tieing feathers and cut my own vanes , I usually use colloured goose feather .
to make my vanes a little stronger I usually strip a little feather material off the bone , the wrap tightly with a bit of dental floss and seal with a little glue , but thats not necessary and may not be for everyone .
This fletching technique is simple and produces perfectly accurate arrows (I have throat shot a squirrel out of a tree top with one ) , hopefully it helps if you need to use it .
I will be chasing blacktails with my hand forged socket broadheads mounted on hardwood shafts fletched in this way , I would be comfortable chasing bears with this set up too .